Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 227081 times)

i derive dx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #660 on: October 16, 2010, 08:51:38 pm »

...when someone used the word 'orthoclase' in a dictionary game, I was the only person who already knew what it was.

A group of friends really likes Bananagrams. I'm TOTALLY doing this next time I play. :)

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 18, 2010, 01:16:54 pm »

... I'm spending my time googling architecture plans that would look nice in my fortress. Like this staircase for example.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 22, 2010, 01:41:49 am »

...I am sorely tempted to set my Facebook status to "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The deadly dust!"

Yeah, I'd better explain.

It has been hard-wired into my brain for years that "FB" stands for Facebook. This has led to some interesting mental imagery while reading the "What's going on in your fort?" thread. 'Nuff said.

(I'm also tempted to include Social Networks and Online Communities as powerful enemies in some random game I'll never get around to programming. Same reason.)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #663 on: October 23, 2010, 05:49:44 pm »

I work for a non-profit call center that does fundraising calls for liberal causes.  I was listening to another caller discussing GOP policies towards human rights, the environment and so on. I thought "So Republicans are dwarves?"

No offense intended, btw.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 23, 2010, 06:00:02 pm »

I thought "So Republicans are dwarves?"
I did read somewhere else (I think it was someone's signature, or I would have sigg'd it.) that  "Most dwarves are Republicans, but the players are Liberals" (Or communists, I dunno.)
Of course, this doesn't hold true 100% of the time. But nothing political ever does.
Draws a lovely picture though, of players trying to section everything in the fortress out equally while the nobles try to hoard stuff.

Trying to keep my own political views out of this post and forum though, so please don't shout at me for this!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 24, 2010, 05:20:26 pm »

...I consider socks a deadly weapon.
When in doubt:  More Lever!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 24, 2010, 05:24:57 pm »

...I consider socks a deadly weapon.
....I have several deadly weapons lying around my room.
....I don't fear intruders because if any come in, I'll pull a lever and release the limonite lobster that breathes deadly dust from under my bed to beat them to death with my deadly weapons. Said lobster will then be unable to reach me because my bed is a zlevel above it and it doesn't have wings.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

plarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • www.whitewoodstudio.com
« Reply #667 on: October 24, 2010, 05:50:39 pm »

I no longer update my facebook with real life status updates but rather what my fortress is doing
I don't read books anymore just dwarffortress

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 24, 2010, 05:55:06 pm »

Someone spoke of "Every day rock" in a conversation.
I proceeded to ask them what /KIND/ of rock they where talking about. I feel even more of a nerd than I did before.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:16 pm »

...I dreamt about devlog updates last night. And didn't realize it was a dream until I read Toady's extensive answer post on the development thread this morning. ::)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 08, 2010, 02:43:41 pm »

I dream in the ASCII that DF uses.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 08, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »

I have started making odd and eccentric exclamations to Armok.

"By Armok's most impressive beard!"

"Praise be to Armok, who can crush us all!"

"By Armok's benevolent gnashing!"

"By Armok's gory fist!"

"Behold the kindly claw of Armok!"
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11:40 pm »

I dream in the ASCII that DF uses.
I occasionally picture building layouts like that so I can find my way easier.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 08, 2010, 07:23:22 pm »

I can't play pretty games anymore, because I keep going "Fuck graphics, I need more FPS! Stop lagging, game! Why are you unhappy with my decade-old machine? DF is not unhappy with it! DF runs fine on it! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM GAME?"
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #674 on: November 18, 2010, 11:43:12 am »

I can't play pretty games anymore, because I keep going "Fuck graphics, I need more FPS! Stop lagging, game! Why are you unhappy with my decade-old machine? DF is not unhappy with it! DF runs fine on it! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM GAME?"
Yeah, ditto, except my computer is less than a decade old and still has problems with graphics.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69