Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 227139 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #525 on: May 14, 2010, 07:06:18 am »

Because of dwarf fortress i wonder why people were being chased by an iron man on teminator 2
Sarah Connor cancels go insane: Interrupted by iron man
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 14, 2010, 08:12:24 am »

I have unreasonable expectations for evaporation.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 14, 2010, 08:35:39 am »

I was in band yesterday and we were talking about how much it would hurt if someone were to fall into the pit in front of the stage... I suggested adding spike traps.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #528 on: May 14, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »

I have yet another reason to be late in updating my projects...
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 14, 2010, 05:43:45 pm »

I think "If I can just pick up some gravel or a live worm and throw it, I can probably sever a leg crush a skull" when passing Chav's in the street.

I am CERTAIN that I can balance my entire neighborhood on a single lamp post.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 14, 2010, 09:24:21 pm »

Tensile strength is not something I think about, ever, even when it's vital.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 14, 2010, 09:30:47 pm »

Half of the poetry in  my big ol' project is DF-related.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 14, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »

I make Legolas fangirls cry, like the elves they so wish to be.

I'm a little messed up as you can tell.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 15, 2010, 03:08:17 am »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I've actually had semi-serious conversations with my father (45+ year mechanical engineer vet)--and over a computer game, too.  He even actually listens, sometimes!

DF:  It's not AutoCad, but when I proudly explained my latest minor engineering project, he actually got it, while my video-game-loving mother looked kinda blank.  Maybe I'll ask him about defensive strategy next...

I was told to write a story today... and I had an irresistable urge to write the whole thing in announcements messages...  :P

I actually did this. The teacher praised me for "letting the reader imagine the story themselves."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistolary_novel  It'd fall under this, sorta, I think.  Totally valid literary format, if falling only behind second-person as one of my least-fav things in fiction...  It's not a beginner's format, though people seem to think it is:  you have to make at least two unreliable first-person narrators, through only their own contrived prose, interesting characters, and somehow skivvy in a plot as well.  Using DF announcements as a basis is probably a better jumping-off point than a college lit class, fo' sho.  ("Urist McTreeChopper is attacked by goblins.  Urist McTreeChopper's baby is stolen by goblins.  Urist McTreeChopper lies limbless in the field for a few months.  Urist McTreeChopper is happy to have been rescued and had time to recuperate.  Urist McTreeChopper's kitten is slain by goblins.  Urist McTreeChopper becomes Urist McAxecrazy.")
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 15, 2010, 06:02:22 am »

...my father (45+ year mechanical engineer vet)... my video-game-loving mother...
Can I be your brother?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2010, 11:23:24 am »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I've actually had semi-serious conversations with my father (45+ year mechanical engineer vet)--and over a computer game, too.  He even actually listens, sometimes!

DF:  It's not AutoCad, but when I proudly explained my latest minor engineering project, he actually got it, while my video-game-loving mother looked kinda blank.  Maybe I'll ask him about defensive strategy next...
i wonder what he could think to build in DF, i doubt we have too many mechanical engineers around here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2010, 06:30:09 pm »

I keep using Shift+. and Shift+, to change Z-levels. Terribad in Sims3.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:47 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistolary_novel  It'd fall under this, sorta, I think.  Totally valid literary format, if falling only behind second-person as one of my least-fav things in fiction...  It's not a beginner's format, though people seem to think it is:  you have to make at least two unreliable first-person narrators, through only their own contrived prose, interesting characters, and somehow skivvy in a plot as well.  Using DF announcements as a basis is probably a better jumping-off point than a college lit class, fo' sho.  ("Urist McTreeChopper is attacked by goblins.  Urist McTreeChopper's baby is stolen by goblins.  Urist McTreeChopper lies limbless in the field for a few months.  Urist McTreeChopper is happy to have been rescued and had time to recuperate.  Urist McTreeChopper's kitten is slain by goblins.  Urist McTreeChopper becomes Urist McAxecrazy.")

I really have to disagree; the style in question is an exchange of letters or an insertion of letters, messages, journal entries, etc into the prose, not using little one-off sentences to convey the entire story. But like people have been reminding me, all art is subjective. And for this reason I state that subjectively, I find modern art to be utter dreck.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2010, 07:33:01 am »

Because of Dwarf Fortress I've seriously considered digging my own mini fort behind the house. Complete with wood walls and floor to piss off the elves. (Hey, I live in the middle of the woods, might as well do something with the trees)

Sadly I live on Crowly's ridge with is basically a big fucking sandbar from the last glacier to come through here and the land around here is nothing but gravel.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 17, 2010, 03:37:43 am »

Because of dwarf fortress my sadism has been reinforced.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 69