Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 227143 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2010, 03:26:12 pm »

I was told to write a story today... and I had an irresistable urge to write the whole thing in announcements messages...  :P

I actually did this. The teacher praised me for "letting the reader imagine the story themselves."

As cool as that sounds, this teacher is what is wrong with the education system. I mean, if you were told to paint a picture, and turned in a blank canvas and paint supplies at the end of the week, would you still earn praise? Although strictly speaking, that's a modern art sculpture. And that's what's wrong with modern art.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2010, 04:34:03 pm »

I mean, if you were told to paint a picture, and turned in a blank canvas and paint supplies at the end of the week, would you still earn praise? Although strictly speaking, that's a modern art sculpture. And that's what's wrong with modern art.
I (kind of) did this once for art class. I made a basic and rudimentary structure to which the audience was allowed to do whatever it wanted. I also added a letter to the audience wherein I stated my beliefs about it. I find that something you created never is completely finished. But as a mortal being, you don't have the time to continue with your work indefinitely. By letting the audience continue where the artist(s) left off, I wanted to show the people that you don't have to be a 'stereotypical' artist to be an artist. In that case, everything you do with the sculpture was the making of or participating in art. Even when doing nothing, you contribute (that's another of my views, but that'll be for another time). Modern art is also very prone to the interpretation of the audience. By having the audience participate in the process of making the sculpture, it is now not only the audience that is left in the dark, but also the artist. Or only the artist, seeing as the audience is co-artist.
DISCLAIMER: I'm just saying I did something kind of what you said and why. Not trying to start a flame war.

I also think your analogy isn't completely correct. By writing the text in announcement messages, he provided a base for the reader. He gave them a rudimentary text around which the reader can make their own fantasy about how all of it went down. If it was more like your example, he would have given a bunch of blank papers with a title.

Also: White on white.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2010, 04:40:30 pm »

I was told to write a story today... and I had an irresistable urge to write the whole thing in announcements messages...  :P

I actually did this. The teacher praised me for "letting the reader imagine the story themselves."

As cool as that sounds, this teacher is what is wrong with the education system. I mean, if you were told to paint a picture, and turned in a blank canvas and paint supplies at the end of the week, would you still earn praise? Although strictly speaking, that's a modern art sculpture. And that's what's wrong with modern art.

I get what you're saying, Nikov, but in this case, the "artist" did make a big contribution of "input". The idea about the blank canvas and the paint supplies, while being a strong statement, I for one wouldn't qualify as art. The "announcement" story, on the other hand, I find to be rather avant-garde.

All art is open to interpretation by the viewer--that's part of it's purpose. In this case, it's just more open than others. Not a bad thing, I feel.

In art, I consider the level of contribution of the artist to be the most deciding factor on what is, and isn't, worthy of the name. For example: An artist who presents a dollar bill and calls it "found modern art" is just being lazy. The same artist who draws a perfect duplicate of a dollar bill, and then presents it as a work of art, would in my opinion, be a real modern artist (and a counterfeiter ofcourse, but what can you do?). The same goes for, say, a Campbell's Soup can. Ofcourse, I'm referencing Andy Warhol here.
For they would be your masters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2010, 07:03:55 pm »

I like to think of modern art as being tasteless and boring, there's nothing there to wrap your brain around, it's meaningless form, formless shape, colorless slabs of rock carved into at odd angles, not even usable as furniture because of those spiteful angles.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2010, 07:16:17 pm »

I like to think of modern art as being tasteless and boring, there's nothing there to wrap your brain around, it's meaningless form, formless shape, colorless slabs of rock carved into at odd angles, not even usable as furniture because of those spiteful angles.

Exactly. Which just goes to show that art is open to interpretation.
For they would be your masters.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 13, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »

Because of dwarf fortress I've developed cave adaptation.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 13, 2010, 06:12:03 pm »

I already had Cave adaption.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 13, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »

Yeah. I read this story that someone submitted a bust to a modern art exhibition, but was rejected. He took the sculpture off and left the stand there. When he came back, people were admiring the empty sculpture stand.

Modern art is basically code for "artist interpretation by morons."

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 13, 2010, 06:24:57 pm »

Modern art, is, most of the time, a way for talentless people to get rich whilst people can feel all artsy and intellectual when they are saying bullshit.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 13, 2010, 07:29:39 pm »

I already had Cave adaption.

I used to get just enough sunlight to prevent it. not anymore.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 13, 2010, 07:36:52 pm »

Modern art is, some might argue, more engaging. Where, in classical paintings, you can generally tell "Oh, that's a picture of a lighthouse on a cliff," modern art is largely an interpretation of a group of colors, kind of like a Rorschach test.

On topic: Because of DF, I spent all of my Applied Tech class (2-hour block period) reading about/making a housing design. Luckily, I can already type > 40 WPM, so I didn't have any work I was supposed to be doing.

Graygan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 13, 2010, 09:14:20 pm »

.... I think of the possibilities of underground development every time I see a quarter acre patch of bare ground.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 13, 2010, 10:13:43 pm »

...I designed a method of a cannibal city, all they eat is meat. I have 24 pages of rules and regulations and a map of the country and surrounding islands I based the main population as short,sturdy people with VERY long beards(as when I said 'dwarf' everyone would probably think of 'Snow White') The only issue I ran into was proper Animal Husbandry.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Exit light!Enter night!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 14, 2010, 02:09:38 am »

Because of dwarf fortress i wonder why people were being chased by an iron man on teminator 2
Quote from: Footkerchief on Today at 02:46:06 am
Quote from: Grakelin on May 12, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
In Soviet Russia, environment destroys you!

Germany learned this the hard way.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 14, 2010, 06:28:04 am »

I have cave adaption.
Sig to be updated momentarily.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 69