Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 227048 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #735 on: January 15, 2011, 07:22:46 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, the 'learning curve' of most other games seem to be a collection of gentle slopes at the base of the harsh, unforgiving volcanic cliffs of DF.
This struck me as extremely true. If you can get the hang of DF, you can do anything. Even SCIENCE!!!
... Also, because of DF, I often stare at my cat and wonder what *cat meat roast* would taste like.
DF is why I started playing I Wanna Be The Guy.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 16, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I got very close to yelling at my friend for saying that Dwarves don't have beards and grant wishes. >:( >:(

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 16, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »

Only this time, there's no DRM or penis-aliens. ;p

The forgotten beast Phallonus Prickstath has come!  A huge hairless worm.  It squirms and fidgets.  Beware its poisonous secretions!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 16, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »

...I started to think that adamantine its deep underground and when you hit it you release demons ( just to hope its not real)
Desu

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 16, 2011, 03:42:51 pm »

... I have begun driving around looking for a source of limestone or dolomite that I can mine without notice as I refuse to pay for what I can strip out of the earth with my bare hands and a steel pick.

I also now consider lungfish to be playful, spritely creatures and yearn to have one of them wiggling about in my yard, or on my roof, or up a cliff face. They do seem to get everywhere.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »

... I wrote my narrative essay assignment about my fort's first siege. :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 05, 2011, 06:42:13 am »

I'm currently working at a cement plant for the summer, helping organise all their drawing archives. In many of the older process  and raw materials drawings there's mention of limonite, so I instantly thought "holy carp, they must've used limonite as their source of iron many years ago" (don't think they have iron anymore, it makes for worse cement, but decreases kiln temperatures needed). Asked one of the older process engineers, and indeed they did.
Dwarf fortress... The only place where it is a viable economic alternative to use silver for bulk storage of random trinkets.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 06, 2011, 03:25:54 am »

I'm currently working at a cement plant for the summer, helping organise all their drawing archives. In many of the older process  and raw materials drawings there's mention of limonite, so I instantly thought "holy carp, they must've used limonite as their source of iron many years ago" (don't think they have iron anymore, it makes for worse cement, but decreases kiln temperatures needed). Asked one of the older process engineers, and indeed they did.

That is awesome++.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 06, 2011, 04:02:01 am »

In my dreams I see rivers of blue sevens. Also I am blinded by bright light and feel like vomiting when exposed to sunlight
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:09:49 am by scout890 »
nothing

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 23, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »

I scolded my father when I found out that he looked up the chemical composition of mica rather than just ask me :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 23, 2011, 09:09:44 pm »

I watched the movie 300 and the entire time I was translating it into dwarf fortress text:

Leonidus kicks the Persian Messenger in the upper body, bruising it through the cloth tunic.
The Messenger is propelled away by force of the blow.
The Messenger slams into an obstacle.
The Messenger has been struck down.
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 26, 2011, 09:33:54 am »

...I was at a mgmt conference and met a guy who oversees copper mining, I immedately said "Tetrahedrite - right?!"

You can get some silver out of that... Their warhammers must be awesome!

Were they out of malachite?

Around here they use native copper. My wife has a piece of it, with little copper crystals on. It's a good thing she likes it so much, or you know I'd want to smelt it.
For they would be your masters.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 26, 2011, 10:24:20 am »

...If I want something destroyed, I put pillars under it that snap when a lever is pulled instead of using explosives.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 26, 2011, 10:43:45 am »

...I know that the Internet is run by a series of perpetual stone mechanisms, held together with logic-gates and roast tallow.
For they would be your masters.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 26, 2011, 12:44:18 pm »

...I know want to watch all the loed of the ring movies
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 69