Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 227160 times)

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #450 on: March 02, 2010, 11:50:56 pm »

And here, I thought the shift-< and shift-> were stupid, so I went in and did some key rebindings.

In fortress mode, they're 5 and 0 on the numpad, which is right next to all the other "move the map/cursor" buttons.

blasphemy

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 03, 2010, 12:02:14 am »

blasphemy

NW_Kohaku has become an Iconoclast.
NW_Kohaku, Iconoclast, is more experienced.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #452 on: March 03, 2010, 05:11:35 am »

... I try to centre the screen in other applications by right-clicking
(a menu? WTF?)
... I know know that when people are standing around the water cooler talking at work, it's because nobody has given them any work... but that's ok, they'll get quicker at their job by standing around talking anyway.
... when children have a baby brother or sister die, a meeting with a politician will make everything OK.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:22:58 am by Garrie »
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 04, 2010, 01:19:02 am »

(a menu? WTF?)
... I know know that when people are standing around the water cooler talking at work, it's because nobody has given them any work... but that's ok, they'll get quicker at their job by standing around talking anyway.
... when children have a baby brother or sister die, a meeting with a politician will make everything OK.

For the first one... what is this nonsense about a mouse? In my Dwarf Fortress?  (I actually like an all-keyboard interface...)

For the last one... that's just gold.  (I might quote that...) 

"Mr. McPolitician, why did my baby brother have to die?"
"Because there is only room for the strong in our future utopia, under my leadership!"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #454 on: March 04, 2010, 03:58:22 am »

(a menu? WTF?)

For the first one... what is this nonsense about a mouse? In my Dwarf Fortress?  (I actually like an all-keyboard interface...)

For the last one... that's just gold.  (I might quote that...) 

"Mr. McPolitician, why did my baby brother have to die?"
"Because there is only room for the strong in our future utopia, under my leadership!"
If it helps your role-playing, the mother was a soldier it seems she dropped the baby in a pond to refill her waterskin! Should have been born knowing how to swim...
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 08, 2010, 08:19:47 pm »

... when im scrolling with the arrow keys in something, i try holding down SHIFT to go faster

it doesnt work

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 14, 2010, 09:48:54 pm »

So I'm using the urinal and it starts to do that automatic flushing thing before I'm done. The combined liquids are causing the water level to rise dangerously close to the flooding point, and I'm starting to freak out. My first thought? "Why didn't they put a damn aquifer in this thing?"

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:46 am »

I dreamed in DF format tonight (but with "real world-like" graphics capacity, of course). I was the mayor in a human settlement.

I rung the triangle that's often used to announce "lunch's ready" so the people would gather around. I told them that, since there's dangerous wildlife out there (an ogre twice or thrice as big as a human wanted to lunch on townsfolk, but wanted to hear what I wanted to say), if someone ring the bell in certain way, they should seek shelter.

I told them that there was one last announcement, I approached the ogre and killed it with my bare hands by getting behind it and breaking it's neck, then told them "Lunch's on me".
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:41:15 am by Archmage Ansrit »
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

radish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 15, 2010, 03:41:51 pm »

I now dream in ASCII tiles.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 25, 2010, 02:03:49 am »

i drempt that a giant green letter U was folliwing me around my house while i was trying to get things done. it kept saying "excuse me, a moment of your time please..?" in a posh british accent.

stupid human liasons.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 25, 2010, 12:35:45 pm »

BoDF:

I no longer fear Communism, as it is now clear you can make alcoholics work for alcohol more efficiently than capitalists work for money. I only fear the unaccountable overlord who does not believe his subjects have souls.

I worry America's 1 out of 100 military population is too small.

I think the Secret Service is too effective.

I have an urge to dig out my patio crawlspace for a finished goods stockpile.

I no longer feel like that one, lone fantasy enthusiast who likes dwarves.

I now know dwarf enthusiasts are not all unified by conservative ideals. Dwarves are still all right wing Eisenhower Republicans. The player base just contains left-wing radicals who want to change that with magma.

I have one single cat and refuse my wife's attempts to get her company.

I am surprised just how FEW people are crippled, mangled invalids.

I hate the new health care program. A trillion dollars just to put people in beds and bring them buckets of water?! That better be an artifact platinum bucket!

I thank God that I my scratched brain does not leave me passing out every hundred seconds.

( True story; I have a brain scratch and the associated epilepsy. )
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2010, 09:05:28 pm »

I was walking and I saw a sign advertising adopting cats. I thought "Hmm, a cat would be nice." Then I thought "No way, I'd have to feed it and everything. Plus, in a while I'd end up with 300 cats or something." Then I thought "Oops, wait, that's Dwarf Fortress, not real life."

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2010, 05:23:30 am »

..... i got into loads of trouble from my parents and school and almost got banned from the ICT suite because me playing dwarffortress slowed down the servers so much noone could get any work done.

It also got me into geology, and i now hate elves.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2010, 10:10:24 am »

Hmmm, that gives me an idea. Could you create some sort of silent virus, attached to a popular and honestly useful program? Then when it spread to all the computers, you'd send out the activation code (maybe they'd secretly access a certain website every day to check or something) and siphon processing power from (almost) EVERY COMPUTER IN THE WORLD just to run your megafortress. Bwahahahahah!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:22 am »

That plan is amazingly close to being possible... The only problem is that the internet connections would slow it to a crawl(even compared to a normal computer).
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69