Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 222557 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »

In the campaign of Galactic Civ 2 you have to blow up a star with a couple of your own planets around it.  Usually in 4x games I play straight strategy, doing whatever makes sense from a gameplay perspective.  In DF I tend much more to do things because they make sense from a story perspective, and I think it's bleeding over.  Instead of letting my citizens get destroyed by a supernova, which was the straightforward gameplay thing to do (and admittedly rather dwarfy itself), I built a fleet of transports to evacuate them.  Since the level ends the next turn it really wasn't important, but I liked the idea of a massive evac operation.  And it's just the sort of thing I'd do in DF

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2010, 05:05:54 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress I am now single.
Technically anyway, I swear she only comes round to see me now so she can "Tell the lil folk what to do."

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #377 on: January 19, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress I am now single.
Technically anyway, I swear she only comes round to see me now so she can "Tell the lil folk what to do."

Dumped for DF...
Sucks...
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 20, 2010, 08:58:10 am »

My wife thinks Dwarf Fortress is hysterical. She loves the idea that I have to keep an eye on my dwarfs so they won't stop working and start drinking.
She actually encourages me to play more.
For they would be your masters.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:23 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I saw a plank of wood from the side, leaning against a wall, and thought "Did my miner drop his pick again?" (This actually happened to me, yestereday. <_< )

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2010, 03:06:41 pm »

... I dig deep holes in my backyard, looking for underground features.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2010, 03:55:16 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I started carving engravings of myself into the walls of my apartment. My landlord became furious. Now, I carve engravings into the walls of my landlord becoming furious about me carving engravings into the walls.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2010, 08:09:34 pm »

I haven't read this post since page 20. I haven't been on since then. I now realize what I have missed...

To settle all debts, I think that LotR Elves are true elves. I mean, they are not that bad if Gimli, Master Axe Lord, can handle them. I think that somewhere in the bloodlines of LotR Elves and DF Elves, there was a split and then we had Cacame and the Hippies. Cause Elrond's people had buildings made of wood and had metalsmiths. I believe that Cacame is the only surviving Elf that is worthy of remembrance. Then there was Gladriels elves which are the predecessors to the Hippies.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 29, 2010, 07:47:19 am »

I haven't read this post since page 20. I haven't been on since then. I now realize what I have missed...

To settle all debts, I think that LotR Elves are true elves. I mean, they are not that bad if Gimli, Master Axe Lord, can handle them. I think that somewhere in the bloodlines of LotR Elves and DF Elves, there was a split and then we had Cacame and the Hippies. Cause Elrond's people had buildings made of wood and had metalsmiths. I believe that Cacame is the only surviving Elf that is worthy of remembrance. Then there was Gladriels elves which are the predecessors to the Hippies.

Hmm, you seem to forget one fact about DF Elves.....

"-Legolas! Why you're eating that orc' corpse!"
"-Just matter of ethics, Gimli. *burp*"
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 29, 2010, 07:16:48 pm »

Hmm, you seem to forget one fact about DF Elves.....

"-Legolas! Why you're eating that orc' corpse!"
"-Just matter of ethics, Gimli. *burp*"

Which is why I say that they are different bloodlines.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2010, 07:58:41 pm »

Because of DF i consider any other fantasy dwarf race gay and uncool(except for LotR dwarwes, ultimate HFS motherfuckers), i also make random magma remarks that are somewhat unsettling, even for me.
I have also sworn to find myslef a war hammer, failing that a war axe :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »

...I'm slowly unlearning every bit of grammar/subject-object/verb/adjective agreement that I learned in college.

I'm also shrinking. ****.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »

I've learned a whole lot more about biology, that's for sure. Not to mention history, medicine, chemistry, metallurgy, and atleast the basics of programming and computers.
For they would be your masters.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2010, 12:10:13 am »

..i do not need superpi..
..and heater.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:14:06 am by xoen »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat