Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Biome specific domestic animals  (Read 3374 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Biome specific domestic animals
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:40:25 am »

Civilizations should have domestic animals suited to the biomes that they have access to. There's no reason a tropical civ would have muskox, for example. It would also be neat to see a wider range of domestic animals to reflect the different biomes. Raindeer for tundra, water buffalo for tropics, and so on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biome specific domestic animals
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:02:26 am »

On the other hand, if you limit the selection to what the parent civ has, starting a fort in any other biome ends up with no animals at all

Mind you, some animals are already controlled like this. Muskoxen are very rarely available on embark, whether it has to do with tundra or the like or just plain cold biome, I don't know

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:14:44 am »

I think this is all based on the fact that they're COMMON_DOMESTIC.

In other words, it doesn't matter if they're native to the biome because they're the kind of animal that any civilization would have no matter where they are, because they take them with them, like dogs or horses or cats.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:46:49 am »

That's kind of the point, though. Raindeer are domestic in some parts of the world, but you don't see them everywhere. Some animals, like dogs, work fine everywhere. Others, like Camels, are only used in specific areas.

Didn't realize muskox were already working that way. Maybe Toady already has this in to some extent.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:51:17 am »

The game already sort of does distinguish between "common domestic" and "domestic but not necessarily everywhere" by having some [PET] creatures which aren't [COMMON_DOMESTIC]. And I think accessibility is controlled regionally, although not for COMMON_DOMESTIC, for the obvious reason.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »

Personally, I think that common domestic should go away, and be determined by what's actually in the biome when the civ starts.  (So humans start on the plains.  There are horses and cows on the plains.  Horses and cows are marked 'domescable' and are domesticated by that human civ.  Over worldgen, races that trade with the humans have a non-zero chance each year to acquire horses.  Over time, the cultural domestication rating of the horses increases.  (So a race/civ that just got horses wouldn't have them as common, but a race/civ that had been using them for 300 years would.)

This vision doesn't support race specific stuff, but I'm sure that could be shoehorned.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 03:32:22 pm »

The humans didn't just pop into existence at year 0

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 03:42:28 pm »

The humans didn't just pop into existence at year 0
Is that so....

Doesn't seem that way when I read legends mode...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 03:54:45 pm »

Just saying that the prehistory is probably abstracted

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 04:01:51 pm »

Just saying that the prehistory is probably abstracted
... Not sure I agree with that (creation myths and fantasy go hand in hand) but even so you could still abstract out the domestication process.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:09:20 pm »

Regardless, it'd still be neat to see different cultures with different domestic animals. You already get a little bit of it right now with the elves having pretty much anything in their caravans, but I'd like to see more of that.

Maybe something like DOMESTIC:COMMON, DOMESTIC:UNCOMMON, and DOMESTIC:RARE. So that most civs will have dogs, a lot of them will have horses or pigs or whatever, and a few will have things like Raindeer or Llamas.
Come play Mafia with us!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 02:23:50 am »

Great idea, I'm surprised Toady hasn't implemented it already (though he always seems to be very generous in making everything possible from the get-go).

/signed

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 09:19:38 pm »

I want this.

Infact, I was hoping that it wasn't terribly difficult to mod this in...

However, I'd also like to mention that I'd really, really like to have the ability to breed wild versions of animals into domestic (or domesticable) versions, over time, once the genetic coding gets implemented.
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 01:55:34 pm »

That'll definitely require more complex heritable traits than will be in the next version, unfortunately.

Next version, I think creatures will still even have hard limits on their heritable statistics, such that no matter how many huge dogs you breed, they'll still be between size 20 and 25 or whatever the range is going to be. And it woiuld require a lot of variable behavior traits which I don't think will exist either.

But it would still kick ass to eventually domesticate huge, scary things. Granted, some, like giant bugs, make less sense than others.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 02:01:39 pm »

Less sense, but more awesome.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2 3