Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gunpowder  (Read 3125 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Gunpowder
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:48:18 am »

You can mine/trade for all the ingredients, so can you make it at an alchemists workshop?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Gunpowder
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:52 am »

no.

...not yet.
The raws also do not quite yet allow for explosive contact between different rocks.
Almost, but not quite.
Also - explosive extracts... do not work quite right yet - no molotov coctails.
(as venoms, they WILL cause dwarves bitten to spontaneously combust next release, I hear)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:24 am »

It would be cool to have barrels of rum and light them on fire as a last ditch wall to hold off invaders though.  ^_^

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:56 am »

It would be cool to have barrels of rum and light them on fire as a last ditch wall to hold off invaders though.  ^_^

BURN THE RUM???????????????  ARE YOU MAD????????? :P

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:25:00 am »

Overall, I think it would be cool to have fire, but not really gunpowder.  That would ruin the midevil(sp?) feel of it.  Now making explosives would be cool though, or have the goblins learn to burn your wood walls after awhile.  :P

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:41:18 am »

Aye, gunpowder would sunder the feel, I think.

But in the mean, I hear interesting things happen if you set your booze stockpile on fire. ;)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:45:43 am »

heat-damaging booze-steam clouds result, but not the shockwaves some people imagine/claim.

It is possible to mod in Liquid Extracts that will catch on fire when dumped (I think fire snake venom already does this, without even the need for a mod)

...but there is no way to dump them without lighting the dumper on fire, and glass vials will not break even when dropped 100z levels.  I keep wishing for that one. I really want explosives.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:46:58 am »

I honestly don't think it would make the game less "medieval" since medieval Europeans did, in fact, know about and use gunpowder, and dwarves are good with minerals and flammables anyhow.

Guns and other advanced use, of course, would be silly, but making explosions would be nice.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:06:44 pm »

I honestly don't think it would make the game less "medieval" since medieval Europeans did, in fact, know about and use gunpowder, and dwarves are good with minerals and flammables anyhow.

Guns and other advanced use, of course, would be silly, but making explosions would be nice.

That's what I meant.  It would be cool to have barrels of gunpowder set as barricades in the hallways.  Burn the goblins!

But no guns.  That would ruin it...

It would also be cool to have the goblins naturally fear the fire.  Have then back away from fires or something.  :P

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »

I have to disagree regarding guns, at least for siege like applications*.

Think of the goblin petards at the gates and blowing holes in the walls! Or of dwarves firing off defensive cannons(siege weapons essentially, 30 degree cone of chance based fire/scorch and gore damage) that could be fired but not reloaded by the military(essentially a 1 shot per siege deal needing either a rebuild or very lengthy reload).

*I do agree that small arms would likely of ruin the game; though it could be possible to implement them, Toady has done amazing things.  However, I do think grenadiers(in the 17th century sense) would make for interesting goblin foes, other interesting reading of related subjects would include "Forlorn hope" and "Cannon fodder" for the curious.

Gand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »

I personally like the idea of having some flintlocks and cannon, although my preference would be to have them almost impossibly difficult to make and give them to select men. Plus if they were realistic they'd miss everytime and take a full season to reload.

Although i'd love fire and explosive traps to send Goblin blood stains across the map.  ;)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:03 pm »

I personally like the idea of having some flintlocks and cannon

I am against everything like that in DF. Cannons/muskets/firearms/whatever. It would ruin the real fantasy feeling in the game. Gunpowder is okay, it could be used to blow up something, or it could be an alchemy ingredient for example.

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 04:00:28 pm »

i would like "gunpowder/explosive/burning stuff" just for one thing personally; Explosive or incendiary ammunition for catapults. It would make them usefull and fun IMHO.

Ammo : a wood barrel, filled with the stuff. Explodes with a reasonable splash radius on impact (5x5 centered on impact zone?), then fire and smoke on the "crater" for a moment.

-edit:
Balista kills almost all in a line..
Incendiary ammo could be barrels filled with oil; fire acts as area denial and of course the burning.
Explosive ammo could use glass shells for fragmentation; explosive radius, good against groups.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:10:57 pm by Twad »

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »

I think really clunky uses of gunpowder would be cool, no handheld weapons but unsophisticated cannons that use a huge amount of barely-refined gunpowder, make enough sound to wake up your entire fortress / give everyone major bad thoughts, and are nearly as dangerous to their users and the fort as they are to their target. a dwarf's first venture into the realm of firearms if you will.

then again i've been reading alot of discworld recently where the alchemists blow up their workshop about once a month.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 04:29:59 pm »

I honestly think firearms in general should be put in.  If you don't like em, don't use em, much like I and from what I've heard many others don't use the corridors trapped to the eyeballs or excessive crossbowdwarves.  I happen to enjoy a wealth of options, which Dwarffort certainly affords.
Demon of Darkness
Pages: [1] 2 3