Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My complete newby play-along tutorial  (Read 954 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My complete newby play-along tutorial
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:11:45 am »

I have started a very back-to-basics tutorial on my site, afteractionreporter.com. I provide a play-along download of the game which I hope will get new gamers beyond the initial "arggggg shiittttttt!" feeling. All they have to do is download, unzip, continue and then play along.

I hope it will get complete newbs into DF and then I can hand them over to CaptDuck, the wiki, etc.

Let me know what you think. I almost certainly have a couple of bits wrong in there!

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My complete newby play-along tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:00:44 am »

Just read through the tutorials and there great :D  I'm personally a little past this stage and have started playing with magma and underground rivers but If only there was something like this when I started hehe.  I must have started and quit DF 20 times before finally starting to get somewhere.

It's great that people like yourself and captainduck spend your own time to help the newer players.  DF is a game not to be missed as it's so in depth that it's feature's outshine any big published game I have ever played.  So the more people who get interested via these newby tutorials is all good in my book :D

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:57:48 pm »

Thanks a lot! Ihope the link gets tossed around and more folks can find it :)

I will probably take it up to 5 or 6 parts, should be enough to draw out all of the basics.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:17:32 pm »

Maybe stuff from my guide will help? I started the "How to correctly start fortress mode" guide and let the wiki goers take over. There's a link in my sig.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Gand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:43:16 pm »

I think this is a great guide for beginners like myself, easy to read, easy to follow and seems to cover all thats needed to make your fortress sustainable.

The only thing I feel needs adding (although you might already be ahead of me on this) is a basic well building guide as that was the single most scary thing to overcome in setting up my newby Fortress. This is apart from the Z axis that went way above my head for the first few days.

I've now reached the messing around with Screw pumps, Windmills and the river to try and refill my water reservoir while trying to deal with 40+ Dwarfs and Goblin raiders.

Anyway great guide, look forward to reading more  ;)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:53:20 pm »

Yankin, your thoughts and tips were really crucial to my relearning of the game recently, thanks. Posts like that will be part of my final "handover" post where I point players to more info.

As for wells and what-not, they are quite complex, requiring a good understanding of using water and basic engineering. I am not sure my tutorial will ever get that far as I think there are many good guides out there that cover the more complex tasks. My goal is to take complete newbies from knowing nothing to lasting long enough to support their first wave of immigrants, trade and to get some traps up. From there the other tutorials can probably take over :)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 08:36:55 am »

God damn it. Why do people keep mispelling my nickname?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:53 am »

Maybe his Yankin ya chain :P

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:41:15 pm »

I blame my iPhone's auto-spelling function yamlim yankin hamlin yanlim

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 08:17:26 pm »

But... what website? Where is the link oh my god whats happening whaatsgoingonOHGODABABRKAJFAGA *Pop*

Where is this website you speak of?

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 03:21:07 am »

http://www.afteractionreporter.com

That be it. And there are now four tutorials up.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 03:29:03 am »

Five parts up now, more this week :)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 11:20:42 pm »

Can someone help me put a decent link on DFwiki? I tried to put a link on the tutorial page but it didn't show me the part of the page I thought would be good to place it.

I don't want to step on any toes, so halp plox!