Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Desert  (Read 12165 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desert
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »

Like I would use something GROWN BY ELVES! Pshaw!

Dwarfs might not, but elves would. Now picture elves living in the desert, sustaining themselves via specially grown plants that literally soak all the possible moisture out of the air, and other plants that send down mile-length roots to suck up whatever water there is deep, deep down below.

They use specially constructed plant suits that help them resist the elements. They move like the wind, invisible in their sand colored suits, hunting with bows, and riding the gigantic scorpions native to the region. In the day they live underground in burrows dug by their animal friends, and only come out at night.

Now, enter the aforementioned dwarfs out to gather sand (which happens to be sacred to these elves...)  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2009, 09:17:02 pm »

Having still-suits in the game would be nice, but what I was talking about earlier was door-seals at the entrance to your fortress so that the entire fortress is basically a still-suit. Much simpler.

The entire fortress has airtight seals? How do you breathe?

We can handwave the problem of ventilation in most fortresses, but if you specify a fortress that's sealed up tight to trap water vapor, it's hard to ignore the fundamentally related problem of everyone suffocating.

(Stillsuits have a similar problem. If your sweat isn't allowed to evaporate, it doesn't cool you off, and if the climate is warm and you're exerting yourself moderately, you die. [Edit: I see SirHoneyBadger has already pointed out this issue.])

I agree that the game shouldn't go out of its way to make deserts survivable. The occasional cactus that you can brew directly into booze without adding water, fine. Other than that, it should be a matter of aggressively exploiting more general mechanics, such as trading for water or diverting rivers out into the desert.

Flashzom: We actually produce water by burning food for energy. This is highest for fat (more water than the mass of the fat--the camel's hump works like this), moderate for carbohydrates, and near zero for protein because burning protein increases urine output. The larger problem with a closed water cycle is that much of that water is vapor, and hard to keep contained. At best you can set up big chilled condensers of some kind to pull it back out of the air, but this requires some kind of heat pump.

Stop being obtuse. Of course the fortress would have to be ventilated. Right now in DF 'breathing' is merely the opposite of 'Drowning' . But when dwaves breathing properly is fixed, a massively complex system of vents will have to be built. I think this is a good thing. It will be even more complicated when you have to factor in moisture loss. This is the type of thing in DF i like, its why I play the game.

Stillsuits too hot? Of course they would be hot. The desert is hot. Its called adaptation. You get used to it. Deserts aren't uninhabitable, the people who live there get used to the heat. On that note, have you ever played an rpg where dwarves didn't have a massive bonus to constitution? If anyone can survive in harsh environments its dwarves.

I don't want deserts to be easy to live in, and water reclamation wouldn't do that. It would just add another prong to the multi-pronged fork that would be desert survival, and I think, an interesting one.

Not necessarily...I think the scorpions would get to our dwarfs long before our dwarfs ever did.

I mean, given the technology levels and dwarf propensity, the vision I get of a "still-suit" made by dwarfs, for dwarfs, is a big copper diving-suit/platemail looking thing.

What exactly are they going to use to *cool* such a thing? And how are our dwarfs going to see or even breathe in it?

I'm sorry, but I just see it all ending badly...

...Why can't our dwarfs just dig a really deep well until they hit water, again? Pretty much everywhere has *some* groundwater-from my limited understanding-if you dig deep enough.

Ok, maybe not in DF. 

I like the moisture collector idea though, and the harvesting of the cacti. Both of those could be interesting to mess around with. Not to mention the toads.

Drinking from a toad is balls-out "dwarfy". We need this as a vermin in the game.

I'm not sure about buying water, but perhaps it might be possible to transport enough of it--either by caravan, aquaduct, whatever--to eventually form a small oasis.

Big copper diving suit.... very steampunk. Makes me think of wow gnomes, not DF dwarves though.

Digging down to you hit water. In RL, some parts of desert you can do that, others you can't. This should be the case with DF. Variable difficulty. Not a problem.

Toads, i like the idea too. Like when ur dwarves are starving, they hunt vermin. They are dying of thirst, they hunt toads.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2009, 10:28:42 pm »

Isn't there supposed to be water far underground some deserts'? Then that could be manipulated to give the option to dig down 10 z-levels and find a small underground spring which could then have a well built above it. This would probably make deserts a location for skilled players though...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2009, 01:01:16 am »

Isn't there supposed to be water far underground some deserts'? Then that could be manipulated to give the option to dig down 10 z-levels and find a small underground spring which could then have a well built above it. This would probably make deserts a location for skilled players though...

Not too much of a need to do this. Some Deserts in Dwarf Fortress already have "Aquifiers" which supply the water.

Well... they would supply water if Aquifier construction wasn't the equivilant of Dwarven Rocket Science for the absurdly intelligent.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2009, 01:11:45 am »

Just to toss out another idea:  Have an Oasis as a map feature in deserts, similar to how DF has Bottomless Pits, Underground Lakes in mountains.  Outside of having abundant plant life and a water source, I'm not sure what else might be included.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2009, 03:23:35 pm »

Well there IS two methods we seem to be overlooking, massive rain basins (nothing is too massive for Dwarf fortress.) And sun stills. It should be easy to get water if you go deep enough, even if the soil is just moist. Basically, they operate by greenhouse effect, I think that everyone here is intelligent enough to figure out how one of these would operate, basically, just evaporate the water out of the moist soil and have it collected into a container or perhaps into a well or something.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2009, 04:10:11 pm »

Stop being obtuse. Of course the fortress would have to be ventilated.

You proposed putting seals around the doors so that water vapor can't escape. How is that compatible with ventilating the fortress? Any ventilation ducts would also allow water vapor to escape, much more so than leakage around the doors.

Stillsuits too hot? Of course they would be hot. The desert is hot. Its called adaptation. You get used to it.

And one of the major adaptations we have to it is sweating, which turns a situation that will kill you in an hour (overheating) into one that will kill you in a day or two (dehydration). Stillsuits are functionally equivalent to having no sweat glands. This is not "too hot" in a "wearing a sweater on a bright sunny day" sense. This is "too hot" in the "cook your brain with your own waste heat" sense.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2009, 05:12:45 pm »

Many Oilfileds are covered by a layer of saltwater which can count as watersource.

Obtaining water in an Erg (Sand-desert) is hard even thought they Store water underground. 
Rain and cisterns have often the problem that it rains only around 80mm per year in a average desert. Rainshadow deserts are even worse. Humans need 730 - 2200 liters per year depending on the temperature. This means for one Human you need 10 - 27 mē cisternspace. For 100 Guys this means 2700 Mē nearly a half soccerfield only for drinking. For producing food you need gigantic amounts of water, for 1 Kilo Maize is around 900 Liter and 1 kilo cow-meat needs 16000 liters (in the lifetime of said cow). 

The worst are stonedeserts (Hamada) cause they normaly dont have underground-water. This is because the surface is sealed so that the watrer cant flow anywhere before it evaporates.

Importing water is indeed an way to survive if you can keep your water in an closed system. This would mean Greenhouses with airlocks and underground-waterstorage, Destilling Urin etc. At the end you would still loose water.

One of the mainproblems is the evaporation. The best way to compensate that would be irigation from below. This way your precious water doesnt get exposed to the sun.

A interresting atemp on geting water did the town Jaisalmer in india which made it an tradecenter in the 14th century.
They had an giantic artifical "lake" which was filled by the summer-rain over channels from the sorrounding areas. In the lake the water had the chance to seep deep into the earth. This way the town has enchanced its own aquifer. They also filled with this water undergroundcisterns. During the "winter" then the water was evaporated the people of Jaisalmer did farming on the lakes ground to use the moist which was still in the higher soil layers.

Anyway DF isnt reallife right? So make lifing in the desert hard but not incredible hard.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:14:50 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2009, 02:10:47 am »

Stop being obtuse. Of course the fortress would have to be ventilated.

You proposed putting seals around the doors so that water vapor can't escape. How is that compatible with ventilating the fortress? Any ventilation ducts would also allow water vapor to escape, much more so than leakage around the doors.

Stillsuits too hot? Of course they would be hot. The desert is hot. Its called adaptation. You get used to it.

And one of the major adaptations we have to it is sweating, which turns a situation that will kill you in an hour (overheating) into one that will kill you in a day or two (dehydration). Stillsuits are functionally equivalent to having no sweat glands. This is not "too hot" in a "wearing a sweater on a bright sunny day" sense. This is "too hot" in the "cook your brain with your own waste heat" sense.

There are ways of ventilating rooms in such a fashion as to minimize moisture loss. Don't ask me how, I'm not an architect. But it can be done.

You would be working at night, and sleeping underground during the day. You won't cook your brain during the night.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2009, 02:21:30 am »

By the way, I like mickel's 'desert elf' idea. Or atleast something similar. I'm not sure DF elves would live someplace so bare of greenery.
For they would be your masters.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2009, 11:32:19 am »

Ideally, you should be able to make a second culture of elves that lives in the desert...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2009, 01:09:33 pm »

Make 'em Black.  Just for fun.  And it sorta makes sense.  They live in the desert, right?  Lots of sun?  Crazy tan?  Black?  Not evil. Too stereotyped.  Or maybe that's already been done.  We need a drastic twist!! preferable to someone's balls.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2009, 01:47:35 pm »

They need an elaborate social system involving dramatic physical challenges, and a blind seer.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2009, 04:29:55 pm »

I don't know what your talking about.  Just make them all elite monks. THat do backflips or something. All the time.  Instead of walking. Cause it's cool.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2009, 04:54:01 pm »

Half elf, half dragon gypsy fortune tellers who claim to come from a mysterious future that they won't discuss.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9