Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World map/data use?  (Read 795 times)

phu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
World map/data use?
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:31:55 pm »

Hey all -
Apologies if this has already been answered anywhere, but I did not run across anything while searching.

I'm writing a 2D tile-based RPG and am wondering whether it's allowable to generate my own maps and characters from DF randomly-generated worlds and histories.

While I don't really expect to turn it into a major commercial venture, I would like to keep the option open to charge for an upsell at some point... so my question is whether there's any limitation to that effect imposed on DF-generated maps and history.

Thanks!
phu

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: World map/data use?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:21:54 am »

Well I don't believe the histories created by the Random Number Generator God are under legal ownership of Toady One.

So far your not going to get anything too detailed yet.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:15:33 am »

Why not program your own generators?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »

I'd just say that Toady One probably would be against anyone else making money off of his code.
I would suggest making a custom world generator.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

phu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:35 pm »

Why not program your own generators?

I have built my own terrain generators.  They're just fine.  However, when there's something available right here that creates not just terrain but generations of NPC's, I don't see the harm in asking whether I can use that generated data -- which is dumped very conveniently into computer-readable formats -- for my own purposes.

While I wish I could dedicate myself to recreating those impressive algorithms, I just don't have the time -- and honestly, I don't assume I have the talent to create such an impressive set of characters automatically.

I'd just say that Toady One probably would be against anyone else making money off of his code.
I would suggest making a custom world generator.

I'd be interested in hearing it from him (and if I don't/if there isn't precedent [which is the reason for this thread], I'll email him).  If he states that somewhere, then I'd love to see it and I'll certainly abide by that.  I have no intention of using DF maps unless it's explicitly OK'ed anyway.

I thought it'd be more considerate to ask the community whether there's precedent for this rather than bothering Il Toadi immediately. :)