Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Firekeeping  (Read 3325 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Firekeeping
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 07:30:44 pm »

You don't need that much space. If the magma amounts used are small, it'll just spread out and evaporate.
That's one good reason for a pressure plate set to be triggered by 0/7 magma, but nothing more.  Magma will come in until the pressure plate is covered, then it will spread out, making sure everything that falls in will catch fire instead of melting.  The depth seems to affect temperature.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 07:39:19 pm »

You don't need that much space. If the magma amounts used are small, it'll just spread out and evaporate.

Yes, but sometimes it takes long before something catches fire so I would have to let magma flow more than once ... and I will have almost no free space.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 07:52:31 pm »

Try just a four tile hallway, with the plate on the third tile. if that's too much, three tiles with the plate on the second tile should work, since magma flows slowly.  Even two tiles should work.  It also takes a long time to evaporate.  On top of that, you've got a plate letting magma in without you needing to interfere.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 06:30:05 am »

I built one of these systems in http://mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?fortressName=Workmurders with juice earlier tonight. It was constructured perfectly and coated with 2\7 magma, which instantly obliterates any flammable object I throw into it.

No smoke, no ash, no molten or burning subjects. Just poof! And gone at once. Also, if any tiles have fewer than 2\7 magma, ever, you will begin to experience evaporation and lose magma periodically until it's gone. I figured that having some 1\7 tiles floating around would let things burn longer, so i opened and closed the floodgate a few times to destroy a few units of magma. Then I left it alone, and shortly it was fully evaporated.

This idea is a sweet one which we constructed marvelously but it doesn't work, apparently. Someone fix it :O

We will have to wait for juice to upload a new image to DFMA so ya'll can see the magma incinerator we constructed. It's a big open pit at the end of the wagon road into Workmurders, and the far side of it is open to the prison, giving cellmates the option to end their lives in the magma.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 07:17:33 am »

I built one of these systems in http://mkv25.net/dfma/browseby.php?fortressName=Workmurders with juice earlier tonight. It was constructured perfectly and coated with 2\7 magma, which instantly obliterates any flammable object I throw into it.

No smoke, no ash, no molten or burning subjects. Just poof! And gone at once. Also, if any tiles have fewer than 2\7 magma, ever, you will begin to experience evaporation and lose magma periodically until it's gone. I figured that having some 1\7 tiles floating around would let things burn longer, so i opened and closed the floodgate a few times to destroy a few units of magma. Then I left it alone, and shortly it was fully evaporated.

This idea is a sweet one which we constructed marvelously but it doesn't work, apparently. Someone fix it :O

We will have to wait for juice to upload a new image to DFMA so ya'll can see the magma incinerator we constructed. It's a big open pit at the end of the wagon road into Workmurders, and the far side of it is open to the prison, giving cellmates the option to end their lives in the magma.

I am not sure what 2/7 magma does, but 1/7 just sets things on fire. If you than throw something flamable on same place as is the firing thing, it will catch fire also. If you look at my pictures, you will see, I flooded 5 squares with 1/7 and let it evaporate. When there were cca 50 charcoals on 5 squares, I got 30 fps and nice smoke for about 2 hours of real life time.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 12:54:56 pm »

That design is flawed. What you need to do is...

Code: [Select]
__  ______             
__D |_____| ~~~~~ |
   |F_X__X__Lava _|
   |G|
   | |
D = Door
F = Fire
G = Grate
X= Floodgate (Lavaproof, of course)

A small ammount of magma enters the fire chamber when you flip the lever, it covers what you want to burn, then sloshes down the grate and to a disposal area. After the object is on fire, you have dwarves dump the stuff you want to burn down into the hole. Probly have to do this once a month. Im pretty sure things would burn slower using this.

That would probably really help.

As it happens I was tinkering with a dumping room that was flushed with small quantities of magma (I wanted to be able to just mass-dump everything left by invaders, burn away the junk, then collect the iron bits later, from a place closer to the smelters). So, I did some tinkering to play with these ideas. If the magma sticks around in the tile, things burn up fast.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 01:29:08 pm »

hmm, combine a jet of water and a stream of magma in midair to make the dragon breathe obsidian! (I use this type of method for a 'last resort' gate.)

Also, you could just dump a majillion fire imps and fire snakes in there, and start throwing things in.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Angellus

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 01:30:59 pm »

hmm, combine a jet of water and a stream of magma in midair to make the dragon breathe obsidian! (I use this type of method for a 'last resort' gate.)

Also, you could just dump a majillion fire imps and fire snakes in there, and start throwing things in.
Could you describe how you do the obsidian thingy? ^^

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 01:42:02 pm »

well, as creating a solid block and then dropping it is nigh-impossible, you have to mix the materials in the air. If you have for example, a 3x3 box o' lave above your gate, and water holding tanks in the towers to the sides, all you need to do is pressurize the water enough so that when you open the floodgates holding in the magma, then the water gates nearly directly afterwards, the materials hit eachother in midair and form blobs and chunks of obsidian, which fall to the earth, crushing things.

the only drawback to this method is that it's possible that you could leave a path through, if the materials didn't mix correctly and your chunks because too scattered.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2009, 04:58:26 pm »

It seems the only way to effectively keep a fire pit going is by dumping charcoal. Goblin gear and other useless items just won't cut it.

I attempted throwing some mountain goat babies (6 or 7) into the fire pit and although Armok was pleased, the smoke faded after a few seconds.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »

Does wood work as well as charcoal?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Angellus

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2009, 05:09:22 pm »

Do you guys think you can smoke goblins or elves over the fire? (not putting them in, but on the grates, which exhale smoke from the fire?

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2009, 05:10:13 pm »

Wood instantly disintegrates. :(

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 05:11:38 pm »

Does wood work as well as charcoal?

Has to be tried. I would like to making something like this:

Code: [Select]
#################
##_______________  <- magma
##_###_###_###_##
##X###X###X###X##
##_###_###_###_##
##X###X###X###X##
#___#___#___#___#
##__##__##__##__#  <- burning chambers
#################

# - stone
_ - channel
X - floodgate

This way I could objectively compare how long does what smoke. Problem is I have to find enough of free time for this :(

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 05:19:08 pm »

wow, nice setup. maybe you could reuse that as a testing device to see if goblins, dwarves, elves, or humans burn longer?

harharhar! the dragon BREATHES immigrants!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4