Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Dangerous Wilds Mod  (Read 21027 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Dangerous Wilds Mod
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2009, 08:56:38 pm »

I am sure you already checked but, did you go into the inventory screen under stone and make sure it had not been reserved?

Huh. Nope, that was it. Bizarre - I certainly never reserved them (I never reserve anything). Is this a change made in the mod, or in 40d11?

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2009, 09:05:01 pm »

I think it has to do with a mineral mod. The first time I encountered it was on a mod that had included minerals.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2009, 09:13:57 pm »

Whoops, yeah, that would be the mineral mod, I guess I forgot to list it in the original post, fixing that now. As for the slig leather problem.....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2009, 07:13:07 pm »

Wanted to make a quick note:

Umbral brass: 'Evil' orchalcum, requires 2 copper, 2 zinc, 3 mithril wafers, 2 voidstone, and 1 zagithosod. Produces 6 bars. Very strong.
Shedimral: mithril tainted by the addition of zagithosod. Requires 3 mithril wafers, 2 voidstone, and 1 zagithosod. Yields 6 wafers.

These two don't seem to make much sense. Umbral brass requires 4 more ingredients, produces the same amount of bars, and yet is less than half as powerful as Shedimral. At the moment Shedrimal > Umbral brass is a no-brainer. You should probably either buff up the damage/mitigation of UB a bunch, or make it produce something like twice as many bars. Otherwise the player has no incentive to make it.

Unlike Shedimral, which my best military elves are currently pimping.  ;D

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2009, 11:37:11 pm »

Yeah, umbral brass is pretty weak by comparison, barely better than orchalcum strength wise and weaker than mithril-steel. The advantage of umbral brass over shedimral is that it comes in bar form, as opposed to wafer. It takes three times as many wafers as bars to make an object. Ex: 3 umbral brass bars makes a statue, while it takes 9 shedimral wafers to make a statue. since both reactions produce 6 wafers/bars, and shedimral has value of 200, while umbral brass has a value of 80, the multiply by three....and the shedimral reaction produces 400 units of wealth, while, the umbral brass reaction produces around 480. This is because the game does not take into account the number of actual bars/wafers used in it's construction, just the value modifier. Basically, Umbral brass is more useful if you want to make valuable objects. (although it only takes 1 wafer/bar to stud an object), and shedimral is more useful for weapons and armor.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2009, 06:09:31 am »

Why do ALL the good metals need refined voidstone, or uristlam?

Is bloody annoying, as they only come in gem-like clusters.

Edit: Oh god. Giant BEEEEEEES. They kill dwarves extremely quickly. As do cold drakes, mainly because they come in pairs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:15:56 am by Akigagak »
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »

Why do ALL the good metals need refined voidstone, or uristlam?

Is bloody annoying, as they only come in gem-like clusters.

Edit: Oh god. Giant BEEEEEEES. They kill dwarves extremely quickly. As do cold drakes, mainly because they come in pairs.

Voidstone comes in veins. I've got loads of the stuff sitting around.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2009, 06:47:13 pm »

A few things:

For some reason you have greaves in item_shoes.txt instead of item_pants.txt.

Dark elves are missing any sort of lower body armor from their entity entry. They can't make chain leggings or greaves.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2009, 07:09:33 pm »

Lord Dullard: The idea behind not giving the dark elves greaves was that since they already wore armored robes, they didn't need any more leg protection. I made greaves shoes because I thought it suited their usage more, seeing as historically, they protected the shins, but since they can't protect the shins without protecting the feet, it was kinda pointless. Both things will be changed in the next update. Speaking of which, the next update is almost complete, If anyone wants to give any input or suggestions, now would be the time! I added in quite a bit more weapons than I said I would, but I probably won't include all of the creatures. The civilizations should be MUCH more aggressive now. Pretty much the only time you'll be relatively safe from sieges/ambushers/thieves/babysnatchers is during winter, and only just so. Gnomish thieves are now hands down the most dangerous now, thanks to the addition of weapons such as "whirring corkscrew daggers" and "pocket grinders". New trap components include "crescent bladed pendulums", 'rotating bladed fans", "spring-loaded, hinged slabs" (think mousetrap), as well as something special I call the "astrapebolos". Generally upped the danger potential of many of the factions by giving them access to a wider variety of weapons, etc.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2009, 07:17:19 pm »

Lord Dullard: The idea behind not giving the dark elves greaves was that since they already wore armored robes, they didn't need any more leg protection. I made greaves shoes because I thought it suited their usage more, seeing as historically, they protected the shins, but since they can't protect the shins without protecting the feet, it was kinda pointless. Both things will be changed in the next update. Speaking of which, the next update is almost complete, If anyone wants to give any input or suggestions, now would be the time! I added in quite a bit more weapons than I said I would, but I probably won't include all of the creatures. The civilizations should be MUCH more aggressive now. Pretty much the only time you'll be relatively safe from sieges/ambushers/thieves/babysnatchers is during winter, and only just so. Gnomish thieves are now hands down the most dangerous now, thanks to the addition of weapons such as "whirring corkscrew daggers" and "pocket grinders". New trap components include "crescent bladed pendulums", 'rotating bladed fans", "spring-loaded, hinged slabs" (think mousetrap), as well as something special I call the "astrapebolos". Generally upped the danger potential of many of the factions by giving them access to a wider variety of weapons, etc.

Lovely.  ;D The lack of greaves hasn't really been a problem, because I've just had my elves wearing dwarven steel chainmail looted from dead high elves.

However, the egregious 'greaves' name is something I knew about. In fact, go see this suggestion topic quick: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23908.0

So if I have one suggestion for your next release, it would be to make new leg items named tassets or cuisses or somesuch.

Once you come out with the new release I think I might start some kind of community venture. Keep up the awesome work!

Edit:

Heh. Another suggestion -  you might want to tone down the Malus language file just a bit. I realize they're demons, but seeing tons of names like 'Suckedbuttocks', 'Royalanus', 'Crotchscribe', et cetera, starts to seem more hilariously obscene than it does demonic. They could use a more evil/chaotic-leaning vocabulary, possibly something slightly closer to what the goblins have.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:09:18 pm by Lord Dullard »

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2009, 10:11:26 pm »

I am almost ashamed to even say this: is there a pre-packaged graphics / tile-set yet? Heck, even a slightly demonic "smiley face" would be cool ;D I am slowly learning more about how enable tile-sets, and Graphics. One of these days I may even get off my buttocks and try to make a set.
Currently on vanilla DF I use Mayday+Belal_Hybrid, and the Dystopian Qantas setup. Over all it is reasonably slick. I just have not YET figured out how to enable the elven graphics for the DQ, or even for MB_H for that matter. My DE's turn out as an E... Yeah i know i should just suck it up and go pure ascii...  But i really prefer to see a nice evil elven champion wading into the thick of it wailing on poor unsuspecting victims  ;D
As for actual suggestions? Mine would be decidedly offbeat. Make elves really hate Iron, after-all it is an unclean filthy metal that *STINKS*! Now Native Aluminum, Copper, Silver, Bronze, and so many other Noble Metals are really very elvenly. Even such as Mithril ect are obviously of elven origin! We all know dorfs are incredibly stupid after all ;)
Seriously, I have a fairly thick skin, I will not be the least bit offended if you tell me straight out my ideas suck  ;D Your mod on the other hand is pretty dang good as is!

Keep up the good work!
Diriel
A.K.A. The dark elf cleric.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2009, 01:22:19 am »

Lord Dullard: I took both of your suggestions into account, and that both cuisses and tassets are now included, and the malus and other civilizations will get their names from more suitable pools of names. All that remains is to test if they can be equiped simultaneously.

Diriel: As of yet there is no graphics set for my mod, as I have no idea how to create/implement them. Although I too think it would be awesome if someone could make one, I'm not sure who to ask for this. As for your suggestion as to what metals elves would prefer, I could imagine the high or wood elves using it, seeing as they are a bit more artisan-y, but as for the dark elves, I think they would be a bit more concentrated on how intimidating/utilitarian their equipment is. Anyways, as it is, there are only three pools of metals that entities will use: weak metals(copper, silver, and tumbaga), middle strength metals (solely meteoric iron in the next update), and strong metlas (dwarven steel). However, if you want to equip your army in orchalcum and aluminum bronze though, there's nothing stopping you, it's just that the metal of choice for caravan guard equipment will be dwarven steel.

Almost done, I've finished everything in the raws, I just need to test for bugs, the next version should be out sometime tomorrow.

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2009, 02:57:15 am »

On second thought Evil *ELVEN* Rune Steel is good! Properly blessed by the dark elven gods, and cleansed by proper blood sacrifices, it should even be pleasant to behold.
Hmm, perhaps VeryInky for the graphics mod? There is something "Easy" we are missing. RantingRodent is another Graphics set modder that does great work as well.

Keep up the kickin' work!

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2009, 06:38:43 pm »

Finished version 0.75. However, filefront is going wonky right now, so I can't upload the files yet. when I can, I'll write another message confirming that it has been uploaded.

Changes:
Armor: tassets, cuisses, vambraces have been added. Some factions use different armor.
Megabeasts: Brass bull improved. Reaper mantises and winged blights added.
Entity changes: Religion spheres, naming preferences, trading/siege seasons reworked. Gnomish thieves are now armed. Also, the only trading factions now are the goblins, dwarves, and dark elves. Hobbits have also been added. Anathema are much more dangerous now, as are most of the factions.
reactions/metals: 4 new usable metals, obtainable through the new 'open dimensional rift' series of reactions, which pretty much consist of piling up a bunch of voidstone, lighting it on fire, and hoping for the best. Might net you rare metals or gems that cannot be otherwise attained, but might also just suck in a bunch of random garbage from another dimension.....or worse.
New traps: Spring-loaded, hinged slabs. rotating bladed fans. Astrapebolos: a ranged weapon too heavy and large to be used by infantry, but perfect for a trap, it fires razor-sharp metal thunderbolt-shaped projectiles. (made at the smelter)
New monsters: A few, like stilt spiders, which are basically oversize daddy long leg spiders. Others, like the mindflayer and displacer beast, might be a bit more familiar.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:09:58 pm by catoblepas »

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2009, 09:24:54 pm »

Version 0.75 is now on filefront. Links to the appropriate veersions are on the original post. Troglodytes have been removed as a playable faction because hardly anyone bothered to play as them anyways. Please post any bugs, perceived imbalances, etc on this thread. Although I intend this to be the final release until Toady comes out with the next version, it is entirely possible that I might have missed something in testing. Enjoy version 0.75! (and make sure your smelters are in sealed rooms!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11