Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Dangerous Wilds Mod  (Read 21019 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Dangerous Wilds Mod
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2009, 09:29:03 pm »

Version 0.75 is now on filefront. Links to the appropriate veersions are on the original post. Troglodytes have been removed as a playable faction because hardly anyone bothered to play as them anyways. Please post any bugs, perceived imbalances, etc on this thread. Although I intend this to be the final release until Toady comes out with the next version, it is entirely possible that I might have missed something in testing. Enjoy version 0.75! (and make sure your smelters are in sealed rooms!)

Ooh. Downloading now.  ;D

And my smelters most certainly will NOT be in sealed rooms.

..not in the community fortress, anyhow.  :D

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2009, 09:42:00 pm »

And my smelters most certainly will NOT be in sealed rooms.

..not in the community fortress, anyhow.  :D

Well if you are going to be using any of the 'open a dimensional rift' reactions, you probably should. Might be a good use of unwanted soapmakers too... ;)

Anyways, your input is always appreciated Lord Dullard, you seem to be pretty good at finding errors that I miss, so if you spot anything wrong, please send it my way!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2009, 11:24:11 pm »

I don't really want all the components of this mod, but I like the look of the new animals and demons. Downloading and picking apart now. :)

Edit: The discussion of elves and steel had me thinking. What is it that prevents humans and goblins from using steel as it is (in vanilla DF for instance)? They definitely have access to iron...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:02:45 am by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2009, 01:31:36 am »

The METAL_PREF and MINOR_METAL tags affect whether a entity will use the strongest metal without the DEEP tag, or the weakest metal(s). If they lack either, they will use whatever metal(s) have a strength of 100, in the case of my mod, that is meteoric iron.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2009, 11:35:41 am »

Ah. I thought they had to have METAL_PREF or MINOR_METAL to use metal at all- good to know.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2009, 11:06:02 pm »

It looks like something in this mod's creating "mystery meat"- that is, on the embark screen, " meat" for 0 points is one of the items available.

Also, kappas die instantly on embark.

Edit: I think I've narrowed the mystery-meat source down to the displacer beast.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:20:46 pm by InsanityPrelude »

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2009, 01:59:16 pm »

Are owls supposed to have crows as children? It kind of confused me when I got the message: 'Owl has given birth to crow hatchlings'. That is what the raw file indicates should happen, but it doesn't seem quite right. *grin*

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2009, 11:14:18 pm »

Just had my first crack at the new version and it looks great.  Got seiged by lizardmen in my first autum and for some reason the bludgers decided to mill about at the edge of the map instead of charging straight into the teeth of my defences, made things next to impossible but interesting (is this intentional or just a random dwarf fortress quirk?).  things looked stuffed anyway so I went hell for leather and opened up a dimensional gate with some voidstone I had laying around, does it always put the smite on the furnace operator?  I ended up with a soulstone  (dont know what the hell its for?), seems like a bit of a ripoff but larger scale work will be carried out in a better defended location, im turning the soulstone into a statue to my unprepared folly and abandoning for another location while I still have 2 dwarves left. 
  Also noted that you can make both arbelest bolts and shot from wood and bone at the craftdwarves workshop, the dwarves seem to go for the bolts.  Is the shot a doubleup from the muskets I saw mentioned earlier maybe?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2009, 01:24:15 am »

Looks like I'll have to get back to work on this mod, even though I said It would be the last update for a while....oh well, I guess I can always make it interesting by cramming a few more monsters/things into the mod....while I'm at it, I might remove all the armor, weapons from troglodytes, and fiddle with the lizardmen.... definately need to fix this 'generic meat' problem, and the problem with the owls, and look into the kappa....sounds like fun.

jester: yeah, siegers will often hang at the edge for a while before making a beeline for your guys, bugbears will do this as well. and yes, the 'open dimensional rift' series of reactions are exceedingly dangerous, but they DO have benefits: some reactions allow you to get otherwise rare metals:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, and you might get a soulstone gem, which is pretty darn expensive and can be used in the making of star mithril, or used in reactions similar to the 'rift' series of reactions, except 100% safe and with a 100% return rate....so it can be useful, but the reactions can carry as much as a 75% chance of causing insta-freeze death in the form of boiling elemental wrath...tearing a whole in the fabric of reality is rather unpredictable. You might get some random garbage of varying quality pulled out of other planes of existence; you might get an osmium crown, or you might get a pair of lead tights. On occasion you also might get some of your reagents back. It's kinda like gambling, except with bad odds, and with a high chance of death.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2009, 05:59:36 am »

I am loving this mod :) I actually got stolen from and screwed with by skulkers for the first time in ever because of all the different stealing races swarming me. In the end I cracked down and put some poor dwarves on permanent sentry duty (strangely enough none of them have gone nuts, I think the three playing sentry became good friends, two of them I think are reproducing at some point since there's been babies popping out :P )

This upped difficulty might be what I'm looking for to use on a succession game ^_^

The only odd thing that happened once was a Krell siege went awry. They charged my fortified enterance, their leader on a horse. Some fire from my marksdwarves hit a few of the underlings breaking some bones, and killed the leader's mount. Then strangely they just backed off and stayed on the edge of the map without a campfire. This didn't resolve until I moved a catapult in range, unleashed the fury on their huddled group, and then sent soldiers to pick off the rest. Right now I got anathema in multiple groups camped outside my base, this is going to be a fun siege :)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2009, 08:07:28 am »

The Krell are butcherable as well.
  Lots of fun
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2009, 05:34:15 pm »

Anathema are just downright mean. There's a ton of them, they're in separate groups surrounding my fortress. And for the most part not attacking. It's an actual siege: I could probably beat them if they attacked, but I don't have an army that can take them in the field (one of the groups is composed of 50% marksbeetles -_- Luckily my fortress is pretty self sufficient, but I do miss the trade caravans. I almost got to trade with the goblins inbetween sieges (they apparently are one of the few races that don't want to kill me), then the siege came, goblins panicked and tried to leave, and got torn to shreds. If I ever break this siege there's a lot of good loot laying around.

Sadly I went for the long term training plan on my soldiers. They're currently leveling wrestling/shield user/armor user. In a few years when those skills are at legendary +5 or so they'll be nearly bullet proof and can start actual weapons training, but if I sent them out against the Anathema now they'd probably get torn up. There's too many of them and they're too well armed. But I love this.

THIS is what Dwarf Fortress should be!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2009, 08:45:59 am »

I've finally decided to give this a shot :P I'll give you some feedback as soon as I've gotten a decent fort set up. I'm looking forward to this :)
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2009, 10:15:04 pm »

play with the maximum number of civilizations on the map :) It's pure dwarf-fortressy good chaos to have 8 million neighbor races either trading or after you.

I finally fought off the anathema. The squad of mostly marksbeetles got too close to my enterance, to which they were treated to 4 ballista arrows which destroyed or crippled most of em :) Then at that point i sent my military out to finish off the stragglers and the third party. Now i probably have a month before the next siege. I'm going to need a military that can break these non-attacking sieges if i'm ever going to trade (currently we don't have much in the way of domestic animals. I had brought some with me but unfortunately the early days of this fortress were hard and we had to cut them up for food :(

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2009, 01:18:03 am »

Version 0.76 is complete now, hopefully any and all issues that were present in 0.75 have been resolved. I also fiddled with the civilization names of the dark elves and the equipment the troglodytes get, so It will require the generation of a new world to work. Other changes: not much really, although I did add a few new outcomes for the dimensional rift series of reactions.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11