Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Dangerous Wilds Mod  (Read 21011 times)

Pyrofyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dangerous Wilds Mod
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2009, 06:23:41 pm »

This seems simply amazing, but also seems like it will be harder than the average DF, if I'm a newbie who's just gone through the tutorials and only done one fortress by myself will this totally make me cry like a baby, or is not 'crazy' hard?

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2009, 06:24:44 pm »

There's a lot more people that will try and attack/rob you, so yes. But since i could never get a good challenge with vanilla i like this!

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2009, 06:55:17 pm »

yes, you should probably start off getting the hang of vanilla dwarf fortress first, especially because the next version I release will be aimed towards making some enemy civs and megabeasts more dangerous. Most noticeably, the malus, anathema and high elves will be armed to the teeth with new magic weapons, and in the case of the high elves, magical armor too. A full list of the runes that are carried by new weapons/armor are: bull runes, asp runes, life runes, pain runes, swordfish runes, claw runes, and death runes, sun runes, moon runes, wealth runes and fire runes. the most common ones will probably be sun, moon, and fire runes. Generally the rarer the rune, the deadlier. Exceptions include wealth runed items, which produce 3x as much metal when melted down, and pain runes, which actually make armor less effective. Asp runed items are truly horrifying, by the way.

Pyrofyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2009, 06:10:17 pm »

Okay, I'll stick to DF for now, but I'm most likely going to try this out once I get a little more used to it :O

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2009, 12:04:21 am »

I don't think Ouroboros likes cold temperatures (0.75), or at least that's the only explanation i can think of for why he arrived, and then suddenly all his organs were red/mangled. (I'm on a glacier). Either that or he had a hell of a fight at some stage.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2009, 02:22:31 pm »

Ya, megabeasts will semi-frequently show up on the verge of death- they've been running around fighting stuff four hundreds of years :-\

On my most recent fort I got my carpenter bearspider-paralyzed  :'(
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2009, 02:26:41 pm »

No, i think this thing showed up intact, then that happened. I was pretty sure i confirmed all it's organs were intact on arrival. Then suddenly they all went red. and it was leaving a blood trail. So I think it doesn't tolerate freezing temperatures very well.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2009, 01:59:09 am »

I'm getting the weight bug again in version 77A, this time with giant worm leather.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »

The odd thing is i only noticed the weight bug in the most game (i'm still on an older version though, since I had a fort in progress and I don't want to break it). And i can't get that champion to drop it. He keeps getting hurt so he prioritizes rest.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2009, 08:16:43 am »

Nice mod, I like it so far.

A quick question, though.  I'm using this in conjunction with the Orcs mod (And have also gone through and turned on Adventure for all the races you've added).  I'm noticing that, sometimes, "unknown creature" is listed as a kill or as a marriage, so forth, in the Legends.  Is that something I might have done by accident, or is it a limitation of the game, or a part of the mod?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 08:31:05 am by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2009, 10:14:55 am »

The game forgets unimportant creatures in the past and places "unknown creature" there instead. It's intended. It keeps the memory usage down.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2009, 11:21:05 am »

Alright.

Oh, also, in the interests of getting helping out Catoblepas: here, have some graphicized Gulons.

I'm also working on more as I come across things.  It'll need to still be put together and then set to the .txt files, but hey, a start's a start, especially when someone else does some of the work for ya, eh?

Edit: I've now also done, either making from scratch or modifying existing Mayday sprites: the three kinds of Snails, Muck Worms, Cave Shrimp, Crawfish, Giant Worms, Horseshoe Crabs, Crocotta, Catoblepasi, Giant Bees, Bonnacon, and Nue.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 01:55:59 pm by Shima »

Oh Armok, the spice.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2009, 10:29:42 pm »

For anyone who wants some graphics, here's what I got so far.  Newest up are both Drakes and all three Dragons (Red adult dragon was already done in Mayday, so I modified it for all the others and then made whelps from 'gator youth).

You know the drill, save 'em, open 'em in MS Paint, and save as a 24-bit bitmap.

Name them "dwanimals.bmp" and "dwdragons.bmp", they have to be named those or it won't work.  Put them in raw\graphics\mayday\

Add the following to the bottom of the 'graphics_mayday.txt' file, should be in raw\graphics\ (If you have Mayday.  I don't know how to add these to anything else, I'm afraid).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh Armok, the spice.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2009, 01:14:44 am »

Very well done Shima! I must say I appreciate someone making graphics for the mod. In case anyone was wondering, I haven't updated recently because of finals....but now I have a little break in between my finals, so I have been working on expanding the available armor, as well as the amount of armor available to wear on specific body areas at a single time, so far, it looks promising!

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2009, 03:46:04 am »

Thank you.  I've been dissecting the creature files to get specifics on what needs made and what doesn't.  For the most part, alot are described online as being close enough to some of what Mayday has that I can palette-swap or part-swap, building custom where needed.

Of course, me being me, you might see small references and "in-jokes".  For instance, the Giant Worm is based on the 'graboid' species from the Tremors series.  The Bonnacon can be seen doing it's, erm, natural attack, with the zombie and skeletal forms having an appropriate version (bloody and bone dust, respectively).

One problem I'll have is races, though.  I'm no good at those.  Creatures, no problem, give me a week and I'll probably have every creature done, right down to the smallest things you've added.  Races, though, those are harder.  Mostly because I'd need to make an image for nearly every class (So I'd have to look all of those up), and then I'd still need to make Zombie and Skeletals for each of the combat classes.  Needless to say, takes time, although I have a basis for the Dark Elves done.

While we're on it, if there are any other mythical animals or beings you think you might want to add later, give some names and I can preemptively have graphics ready when I'm finished with these.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:48:15 am by Shima »

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11