Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: PTTGV5 : Transparent Tileset! [40d1+] Final Version!  (Read 16430 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PTTGV5 : Transparent Tileset! [40d1+]
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:42 pm »

I believe the raws are the same between 40d and 40d#...

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 08:40:20 pm »

What was the glitch?

Tile #8 needed a black, not shadowed, background. Now Catapults should look amazing.
Those are my letters, but there are some odd chars in your screenshot, like the full blocks and the walls- did you edit mine?

I'll but up some screenshots when I can.

Indeed I did, I changed all the walls around, and most of the rivers (just because they got included in the crop). The walls are my own, hand crafted copy of the smooth walls. I like them because they don't look like huge white blocks when engraved.

And since I haven't said it yet: Nice job on the set, it's very nice. The font is a nice change from the mayday set in my opinion, which is what I was using and tweaking before.

Everything else (though I think I changed the levers as well, or I was thinking about it) are as you had it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:43:12 pm by Sinergistic »

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:54 pm »

I believe the raws are the same between 40d and 40d#...

They are, you just copy over the objects folder, pretty much. The only thing you can't copy paste over is the init file, since it has several new additions. Other than that, everything is as it was in 40d.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 08:51:12 am »

So wait, what is this news about using transparency in the tilesets? If I wanted to modify my own tileset, how would I take advantage of it? Am I replacing the magenta with white now?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 09:18:37 am »

So wait, what is this news about using transparency in the tilesets? If I wanted to modify my own tileset, how would I take advantage of it? Am I replacing the magenta with white now?

You replace it with an alpha layer.  You can do this in GIMP or whatever, although I'm pretty sure Paint can't do it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 07:44:19 am »

I like this a lot.  The division sign looks a little like a barrel, but not so much that pumps would look weird.  It also doesn't have a lot of accented characters replaced with lever pictures like mayday's set.  That was one thing I didn't like about it; actual words looked funny.  He did do a good job though.

I just notice the bone in there . . . I like it much better than the skull-and-bone pile for refuse.  What is the normal tile used for other than refuse, anyway?  There's already another lower-case z in the curses font.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 02:10:42 pm »

I like this a lot.  The division sign looks a little like a barrel, but not so much that pumps would look weird.  It also doesn't have a lot of accented characters replaced with lever pictures like mayday's set.  That was one thing I didn't like about it; actual words looked funny.  He did do a good job though.

I just notice the bone in there . . . I like it much better than the skull-and-bone pile for refuse.  What is the normal tile used for other than refuse, anyway?  There's already another lower-case z in the curses font.

Accent Removal - Get rid of the funky stuff

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 03:02:21 pm »

Accent Removal changes the very meaning of some words. I dislike doing such. That's why I don't use too many custom tiles. I'll use them when there are changes to the base set to allow for total replacement of stuff without messing with words.

Then again, I go around calling myself a boat in a fictional language made up by a game developer. Who really should copy me?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 03:21:42 pm »

It can also makes some creatures look odd, having a tileset.  Rays that look like levers, for example.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 04:58:17 pm »

It can also makes some creatures look odd, having a tileset.  Rays that look like levers, for example.
Egads! That river is infested with Levers! Run for your lives!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 05:59:09 pm »

Accent Removal - Get rid of the funky stuff

I like the accents personally, and the graphical tilesets are too "messy" for my taste. Even the custom barrel graphic is a bit much for my taste, as who knows when the division sign might be used in text somewhere?

Then again, it's probably just my OCD, but I'd rather play with pure ASCII than these bastardized graphical tilesets people keep coming out with.

Until you can create actual tiles for everything, I'll stick with ASCII, thank you.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 06:11:20 pm »

Until you can create actual tiles for everything, I'll stick with ASCII, thank you.
Kinda how I feel :(

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 06:15:13 pm »

Same here.
 Nothing negative to graphical sets, but I prefer my abstraction.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »

@ Tahin:  The barrels with PTTG's set are actually very well done.  They only look like barrels when . . . well, when they're supposed to be barrels.  Pumps still look like division signs.  It's amazing!

Really, it's like ASCII with just a pinch of graphics, and it all works wonderfully.
Just so I remember

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 07:23:51 am »

Same here.
 Nothing negative to graphical sets, but I prefer my abstraction.

what is the point of comments like these?

the topic of this thread is the transparent tileset.
if you dont intend to use it, or have no interest in it, why do y'all even bother with this thread?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7