Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SwordsDwarf problem.  (Read 2391 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: SwordsDwarf problem.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 05:55:57 am »

OT: There's quite a few Eve players on here, I think it was Rilder (or someone he knows) who linked DF into the SHC forums (there's a succession game going on over there atm)

It must be something to do with our inherently greater intelligence level. WoW players probably don't have the mental acuity, agility or stamina to play DF  ;D

WoW players are as moronic as the warriors they play.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 10:14:57 am »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:59 am »

Somewhere out there, in the vastness of space the pulsing orange light of a crystal drill was taking its toll on an asteroid. If sound actually traveled in space the pilot would have likened the throb to the variant ambient chillout song he was listening to on wingamp. But he was also paying close attention to his scanner. See this asteroid didn't belong to him, it was far from his "turf", and the owners didn't take kindly to minjas. And then it happened, in bright letters and encased in a neon box it appeared in the corner of his screen and said:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Honestly, who thinks a sci-fi DF would rule?
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 10:37:38 am »

eve online = boring

watching snot slide down a wall is more entertaining

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 05:02:10 pm »

Yahtzee did 3 things wrong with his review of Eve online.

1.  He avoided player coporations and thus 99% of the content in Eve.

Eve online =! missions nor NPC driven stuff.
Eve online = massive dynamically player driven world.  So you must join a corporation to enjoy most of what Eve has to offer.

2.  He did not play long enough, and so missed out on some of the nicer toys and what can be done with them.

You are not going to get ANYTHING out of playing for 2 weeks, in fact you are a total noob for at about the first six months.  Best bet is to play for 10 months or more and be involved in more than just NPC related stuff.  In my opinion, this is Eve's primary weakness, that it takes such a long time to not be noob.

3.  He did not grasp the need for understanding game mechanics and complexities.

Like building your first fortress in DF without bothering to read the forums or wiki, starting a character without understanding/knowing what you are doing is probably not going to turn out well.  If that is all you have to go on many people would be turned off by it.

All that said, Eve is most definitely not for everyone, it can be very brutal and unforgiving, and takes a long term investment of time to get the most out of it.  In fact, most people that play Eve do so in spurts(6 months on, 2 or 3 months off), and loosely follow events in their time away from Eve.

I wonder what Yahtzee would say about DF if he played it.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 06:39:16 pm »

this is just overgeneralising a lot of gamers dont you think?

for the record, im an ex wow player, and im a huge DF fan.
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 09:30:54 pm »

2.  He did not play long enough, and so missed out on some of the nicer toys and what can be done with them.

You are not going to get ANYTHING out of playing for 2 weeks, in fact you are a total noob for at about the first six months.  Best bet is to play for 10 months or more and be involved in more than just NPC related stuff.  In my opinion, this is Eve's primary weakness, that it takes such a long time to not be noob.

I'd disagree there. Frigate IV, guns IV, web/scram and microwarpdrive are plenty... If you've got a group to back you up. Any of the militias would have been a great place for him, I think.

I definitely agree on the other points, though.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Walker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 12:46:45 am »

Continuing the OT:

WoW - Can be interesting, excellent built-in content/story, mindless, tedium.  You play it because it is a diversion in which you can socialize.  Very, very low barriers to entry.  Anyone can play it, which is good and bad.  Can easily be played casually.  Content essentially company driven with the odd PvP or RP content.   Can be a lot of fun if you immerse yourself in the right way.

EVE - Best screen saver ever built.  Beautiful backdrop, excellent back story.  Story implementation in-game... bare bones.  Brutal barriers to entry, needs a significant time investment for skills/comprehension.  Content is much more player driven, some content (PvP storyline type stuff) is entirely player driven.  Very hard to play casually.  Can sometimes feel very worky, but at the same time the 90% boredom 10% action adage from real life is there and makes the 10% amazing.

I like both, and I play neither at the moment.  Might go back to EVE (round 3) after a long stay in WoW (round 2).  I still listen to EVE radio though.

In both cases finding cool people to hang out with is a key problem.  That's what keeps you going through the tedious bits.  Game or player bashing one way or the other gets you nowhere, there are dickwads on the intarwebs (if you hadn't noticed).  And they are everywhere.  Yes they congregate where there are low barriers to entry, but there are cool people there too.  Also, in the context of WoW... with several million+ players, there will be more human garbage accumulated by the simple virtue of there being so damn many people there...  For any statement of ratios of cool vs. uncool please provide hard data.  ;)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 03:43:21 am »

I'd disagree there. Frigate IV, guns IV, web/scram and microwarpdrive are plenty... If you've got a group to back you up. Any of the militias would have been a great place for him, I think.

I definitely agree on the other points, though.

I will yield to you on this matter.  A properly created and trained character with a group to back up said pilot can experience some of the better stuff that Eve has to offer.

I had intended for my initial statement in my second point to be more like hyperbole when considering what you can gleam from 2 weeks of play vs years of play.  Though, I do still think that-comparativly at least-someone who has played for less than 6 months is a noob and that it takes almost a year before you can begin to fully experience what Eve is capable.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 05:33:51 am »

this is just overgeneralising a lot of gamers dont you think?

for the record, im an ex wow player, and im a huge DF fan.

Thus, you have seen the light.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 01:18:06 pm »

The thing about WoW is that it isn't really one game, it's two.

Levelling up is a genuinely fun game.  It would make for a perfectly viable single-player or non-MMO multiplayer game (with obvious tweaks, of course).  This is especially true on PvE servers, where you don't have to worry about gankers.

Then, you hit max level.  At max level, it's just like any other MMO: you either raid, sit around LFG-ville for several hours, or go make an alt.  That's where the addiction really grabs you...and where the boredom kicks in.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 04:48:58 am »

The thing about WoW is that it isn't really one game, it's two.

Levelling up is a genuinely fun game.  It would make for a perfectly viable single-player or non-MMO multiplayer game (with obvious tweaks, of course).  This is especially true on PvE servers, where you don't have to worry about gankers.

Then, you hit max level.  At max level, it's just like any other MMO: you either raid, sit around LFG-ville for several hours, or go make an alt.  That's where the addiction really grabs you...and where the boredom kicks in.

well levelling up doesnt really take all that long, but raiding was the biggest part of the game for me.

the way i see it, wow could be split into 2 separate games in the way that you have PVE content and raiding, and then the whole arena and PVP battle stuff.

with the new dual talent spec thing they are planning this will become even more apparent.

either way, calling all wow players idiots is just a complete generalisation and completely untrue
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 08:23:00 pm »

I play both WoW and DF.
Thing is, DF is a single-player game. That alone keeps them in separate categories for me.
I could never maintain two MMOs at once, but I can balance WoW and DF.

And Yatzhee's reviews are entertaining only, but totally and completely terrible to actually use as legitimate review.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 09:12:30 pm by Protactinium »
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.
Pages: 1 [2]