Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SwordsDwarf problem.  (Read 2394 times)

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SwordsDwarf problem.
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:30:14 am »

Hiya all,

My first ever post.  Only been playing Dwarf Fortress for about 2 months and I am hooked big time.  It's even made me Cancel my EVE online account as I stopped playing it once I got the hang of DF lol.

Anyway, I still consider my self a Noob as I have oly touched the surface of what DF can do.  I have recently built a tower outside my defencive wall for my Crossbow Dwarf to shoot from and that works very well.  I have just enlisted 2 more into my military in a different squad so they can be stationed in a different part of the fort.  These 2 new recruits are ment to be shield and sword equiped.  I stood them down from duty to let them train which they did no problem.  However once they got enough skill and there titles changed from recruits, rather than goto swords dwarfs it went to wrestlers.  I checked there inv and there both carrying shields but not swords.  I have iron swords in my wepoens stockpile.  I whatched these 2 dwarfs for a bit to se what was happening and it seems they goto to the armory pick up there swords and then drop them on the same tile then go train in unarmed.

Is this a known problem?  if so is there a way around it?  It's really frustrating that there training in the wrong combat art.

I did do a search on the forums and never came up with anything so if it's already a discussed problem sorry for wasting peoples time.

Many Thanks for any help in advance.

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SwordsDwarf problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:41:10 am »

EEEEEKKK!  Seems I have fixed the problem, in fact there was no problem at all it was me being silly.  I only had iron long swords in the armoury.  So I forged some Iron short swords and sure enough they picked em up and started smashing each other skulls with them :D  I'm guessing a long sword is either one handed or requires more training?

XD!

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 07:43:13 am »

The only kind of sword dwarves can weild in one hand is a short-swords. You need to set them to use 2 weapons, as they would use two hands for a weapon.

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:04:44 am »

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Just as my dwarfs started training my miners struck through into a mysterious cavern.  FILLED WITH DEMONS.  My miners were instantly wiped out followed shortly by my meagre 4 dwarf army.

Never knew you had strange caves etc hehe.  DAMN I LOVE THIS GAME :D

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:24:24 am »

It was near some adamintine (sp?).   If you find that again, hold off on mining it until you have a sizable army to counter the demons (They are immune to traps).

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:42 am »

It was near some adamintine (sp?).   If you find that again, hold off on mining it until you have a sizable army to counter the demons (They are immune to traps).

Yeah it was near adamintine actually.  I got the big message on screen saying Adamintine found all praise the miners.  I'm guessing the demons are always near such valuable ores then?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:20:45 am »

they are a punishment for greedy dorfs :D
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:33:29 am »

Yes, demons are proof that nothing is "free" in the world of DF.

Also, when did you cancel your account and have you completely given up on EVE?  I play it fairly regularly but go though hot and cold spells.  I maintain my account to keep the training up as I find that to be my only real bottle neck.

Oddly enough, I came to find DF because a member of a corp I was in shared a 3 panel soul comic on vent and started talking about experiencing a catsplosion and how he was having difficulty with an aquifer.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:40:01 am by PencilinHand »

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 01:35:09 am »

Can demons be stopped by doors? If the only way leading to Adamantine is closed by door, can't you just sacrafice a miner and have demons blocked by a door/floodgate. Alternatively, wall the miner in and let him discover the pit. Once he unleashes the demons, the whole pit is mapped and you know where not to mine ;D

Just make sure you use some migrant no-skill dwarf for that.
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:43:25 am »

All demons have [BUILDING_DESTROYER].
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 03:56:12 am »

As Dwarf said, demons have the [BUILDING_DESTROYER] tag so they will destroy almost anything under the 'b' menu.  The exception to this is natural and constructed(b->C) walls and floors.  So walling in a sacrificial miner would stop them from over running a fort, but you better be quick though as they are fast(and invisible until detected). However, the consequence is all the demons try very hard to pathfind to your dwarfs, which tends to result in a MASSIVE performance hit!

...but suit yourself.

By the way, it is customary to mark a thread where demons and such things are discussed with the [SPOILER] tag in the title.  Though, most people who bother to read the forums or the wiki will find out about it anyway.

Andayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 06:52:17 am »

Oops sorry about the no tags for demon's there pencil :(  Although in my defence the original post when made was nothing to do with demons hehe.  As for EVE I cancelled just after Christmas as I was not playing it enough to warrant the monthly subs.  I will probably however have a another look in March with it's new expansion.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:59:24 am »

OT: There's quite a few Eve players on here, I think it was Rilder (or someone he knows) who linked DF into the SHC forums (there's a succession game going on over there atm)

It must be something to do with our inherently greater intelligence level. WoW players probably don't have the mental acuity, agility or stamina to play DF  ;D

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »

Massive OT:
I don't think it is directly a matter of intelligence but more a matter of seeking a greater challenge and complexity; although, intelligence is a factor.  I am surprised at times by the number of highly professional people I have met in EVE(businessmen, lab technicians, engineers, IT, etc.).  Also, I am a former WoW player so don't bash them too bad. ;)

Regarding EVE, I thought you might want to know that BoB was disbanded late last week.  PL, after years of being knocked out just before the finals, won the 6th alliance tournament over the weekend(matches are up on youtube).  The north is still smoldering in war nicely and the south and west are on fire.  The former and the latter, combined with the repercussions of the now halted POS exploit have cause a bit of fluctuation in the EVE economy.  Oh, and the PCU is now over 50k.

I don't really read SHC, or battleclinic for that matter.  I can't even keep up with all that is going on in the official forums.

Back to DF:
To the OP, if you can edit the original post you should be able to modify the name of the thread to include the [SPOILER] tag.  If you can't then don't worry about it Andayle, as you said it kind of just developed in the course of the thread.

By the way, when you are using the site finder function on the embark screen "Other features" = Adamantine(light blue "£" on embark) and demons.  Though you probably already know that by now.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 03:38:01 pm »

Massive OT:
I don't think it is directly a matter of intelligence but more a matter of seeking a greater challenge and complexity; although, intelligence is a factor.  I am surprised at times by the number of highly professional people I have met in EVE(businessmen, lab technicians, engineers, IT, etc.).  Also, I am a former WoW player so don't bash them too bad. ;)

Continuing off-topic....

As another Eve/DF player, I think that I would agree that the challenge/complexity/planning is what I see in common between the two. I think that the greater maturity level displayed by the players also contributes to that, since it makes it more enjoyable to spend time in-game/on the DF forums.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: [1] 2