Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Lost Anvil  (Read 865 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
The Lost Anvil
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:15:42 am »

I departed the mountainhomes with an anvil. We carried it over hill and thrugh stream, crossed every obsticle to our destination. We disassembled the cart and the anvil was set on a nice smooth piece of ice.

Then the thaw came...

So, or anvil is sitting down at the bottom of a pond, and probably will be destroyed in the freeze in the winter. Just thought it was a nice story.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Anvil
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:20:30 am »

Yeah, been there. My dwarves like to go skating the day before the thaw. I've taken to marking my ponds as restricted so they don't do stupid crap like that.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:31 am »

Dig out ramps along the sides of ponds. That way even if a dwarf falls into one, they can still escape before they drown. A dwarf with 0 swimming skill can still move maybe 10-15 tiles before drowning.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:49:51 am »

Dig out ramps along the sides of ponds. That way even if a dwarf falls into one, they can still escape before they drown. A dwarf with 0 swimming skill can still move maybe 10-15 tiles before drowning.

Faster and safer to just mark them restricted. You can solve the problem on the first day of embark. I'm guessing PTTG lost his anvil rather soon after arriving.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:55:30 am »

drain the pond. the only way.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:01:02 am »

Drain the pond quickly.  Just keeping until your spineless dwarves think the water is low enough to lug that block of solid iron up on land.

Though I wouldn't worry about winter.  Objects that get frozen in ice should reappear when it thaws.  I have a caravan guard die in a moat one time, and I got his equipment out the next spring.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.