Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Single Megabeast?  (Read 913 times)

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Single Megabeast?
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:51:40 am »

Is there any way of modding it so that a type of megabeast only appears once? I want to make some sin-against-armok abomination monster that is uber powerful but only one in the world exists.

I would like to know if this is possible at all.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Single Megabeast?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:45:22 am »

Well, I think you can make it so the initial population of such a creature is 1, and have it not breed. It might die to a stray arrow in world gen though.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:49:34 pm »

Well, I think you can make it so the initial population of such a creature is 1, and have it not breed. It might die to a stray arrow in world gen though.

Woulden't if it was undead =)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:02:21 am »

Which is why I'm making a massive undead Elder God Megabeast. :D

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:45:52 pm »

Which is why I'm making a massive undead Elder God Megabeast. :D
That sounds distinctly interesting, but your chances of discovering it, or being discovered by it would be rather small, no?
Demon of Darkness

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:12:04 pm »

Megabeast are spawned in a small group at the begining of a world so no you can't have the game just make one, you can on the other hand make a civ using your unholy abomination and set the starting civ pop to 1, etc.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Moddington

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Silly Walks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:24:07 am »

Actually, that won't work either, as the starting pop number for civs is the number of breeding pairs the civ starts with, so the minimum you could have is two, one male and one female.  It might be possible to make them a sterile race, so that they wouldn't be multiplying and taking out every other civ due to their OP'd nature.