Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrels  (Read 625 times)

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrels
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:17:16 pm »

Well I have been playing for a long time and have always run into this problem.

I always have to create barrels to hold my dwarfs drinks however whenever the ones I create become empty of drink they fill them with food. Is there a way to set some barrels to only accept liquids/drinks?

Is there a different way to manage food and drinks without having to always create a never ending supply of barrels to hold them?

A swift answer would be grateful with instructions if its complicated and my dwarfs will be much more happier and would make my life a lot easier.  ;D

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:30:53 pm »

Set the food stockpiles to use zero barrels. By the way, there's three IRCs linked to on the wiki. You can use them if you commonly need swift answers.

Mikko

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:31:11 pm »

Answer for all of your questions: No way that I would know about.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:41:01 pm »

Quote from: Maric
I always have to create barrels to hold my dwarfs drinks however whenever the ones I create become empty of drink they fill them with food. Is there a way to set some barrels to only accept liquids/drinks?

Is there a different way to manage food and drinks without having to always create a never ending supply of barrels to hold them?

You can't make a certain barrel accept only drink.  However, you can make separate stockpiles for your food and drink, and limit the number of barrels in your food stockpile.  I also recommend making a separate stockpile for seeds and limiting the number of barrels in that.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »

Quote from: Maric

You can't make a certain barrel accept only drink.  However, you can make separate stockpiles for your food and drink, and limit the number of barrels in your food stockpile.  I also recommend making a separate stockpile for seeds and limiting the number of barrels in that.

Limiting use of barrels in seed stockpiles is not so necessary, is it? How many types of seeds will you ever have?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:40:00 am »

Well, I'm maxed out on seeds on my map with 3,000 - 200x15 plant types. I have separate stockpile for each seed type and I have 15 seed barrels total. You can fit 200 seeds in a barrel. Seeds shouldn't be a problem.

I usually get into barrel problems when I make easy meals and when I process to barrel. I always make lavish meals and put them in stockpiles that will accept no barrels - so none get used for food. Roasts will last a decade if stored underground.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:03:46 am »

On the stockpiles screen (p) there is a spot there for reserved bins and barrels. The barrels figure says how many barrels to NOT put on a stockpile unless full. The recommended number is five. That way if your dwarves want to use a barrel in a stockpile, they will only do this if you have six barrels handy. The remaining five can be used for your stills. I imagine if you want your barrels to never be used for food, then just max out the reserved barrels number?

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:05:56 pm »

Here's how to maximze barrel capacity.  Create five food stockpiles.

1)  Prepared meals only.  No Barrels
2)  Seeds only.  No Barrels (need bags)
3)  Drinks only Need Barrels - keep this one near your brewer but away from most of your dwarves.
4)  Plants only Need Barrels
5)  "Have a drink stockpile".  Smaller 2x2 or 2x3.  Very centrally located, takes from the drink stockpile, uses barrels.

1)  Prepared meals don't need barrels as they will never rot when inside.
2)  Seeds do not need barrels only bags
3)  Keeping your main drink stockpile far away from your dwarves will deter them from "booze grazing" where they just sip evenly different barrels, causing tons of half-full barrels.
4)  Plants need barrels because they will rot faster without them.  BREW YOUR PLANTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to give them longer shelf life.
5)  Having one central drink stockpile of 4-6 barrels will cause dwarves to drink barrels until they are empty, freeing them up for your later use.

Other barrel saving tips
*  Allow food to be mixed in the options.  This will save barrels in your plant stockpile
*  Only cook booze.  This will free up barrels and create perma-meals that will never rot and don't need barrels.  If you're good on barrels, you can cook seeds instead.
*  Buy all booze and barrels sold by merchants.  Every barrel of booze you buy is a barrel you don't have to make yourself.

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!