Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Capital Ship Sim  (Read 20487 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capital Ship Sim
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:56:46 am »

as inspired by a thread that was started over at Tacticular Cancer, I want to play a space-based capital ship simulator that wasnt written by Derek-effing-Smart and isnt about Star Trek.

massive ships, perhaps commanding fleets of smaller ships or perhaps not, but something that gives that "giant metal penis in space" kind of feeling.

I hear good things about Nexus and X3.  The former i'm not sure where to find (certainly not on shelves anymore), and the later I seem to need to buy a joystick to be able to play.

I hear Evocron just came out, but it has no capital ships.  I hear the same about I-War and Starshatter:  good games, but no cap-ships to command.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Ship Sim
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:33:50 am »

I played a game a long time ago, bout 6 years, called Mankind. Made by some french studio, it's an MMORTS. Great fun at the time, but they went from unlimited buildings and ships to 10000 buildings and ships total per person. Granted in the war before they decided to limit ship building, players crashed about 95% of the universe because of the 1 million vs 1 million ship battles that occured. Not really a sim though and can't recommend it anymore due to the aforementioned limit.

The only games I played that allowed capital ships were star trek, though the one dos based one was decent. Forget its name though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:50:51 am »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:46 am »

There is this old game I got called Stratosphere, which at least purports to be capital ship battle type game.  It's really closer to tank-battling, since the "ships" don't move with the kind of inertia you'd expect, and the whole game takes place in two-and-a-half dimensions.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:52:06 am »

Can play X3 perfectly fine with mouse & keyboard, but joystick is recommended of course.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:09:20 am »

X3 is very sandboxy as well, but you really need to the patches and mods for it to be actually fun and playable. I played it with keyboard + mouse just fine.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:38 am »

Be prepared to spend ridiculous amounts of time if you want to grind your way to anything resembling a carrier in X3. And when you finally get it(and probably much much earlier) you'll realize that there's just nothing left to keep you playing.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:29:52 am »

Be prepared to spend ridiculous amounts of time if you want to grind your way to anything resembling a carrier in X3. And when you finally get it(and probably much much earlier) you'll realize that there's just nothing left to keep you playing.
This, and on top of it, it's nothing but a sluggish fighter with a few turrets and some smaller craft it can spit out.

No capital ship sim at all.

I'm still waiting for a multiplayer game in which players man the substations on the bridge, that would be awesome and probably sell like 10 copies  >:(

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:33:50 am »

Well, Star Wolves is somewhat Capital Ship-ish.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 08:47:43 am »

Why not Star Trek though? Bridge Commander is nice, especially with that humongous mod for it.

Other than that or Derek Stupid's works, maybe Starshatter? I know it has capital ships, but I don't remember how they handle. I do know you can send out fighters and set orders and missions for them, much like they do it for you when you play a fighter - well, at least the reviews of the game I read say so.

edit: found two more that seem interesting - Galactic Federation seems to have a great damage system and combat mechanics, and there's a Source engine project called Eternal Silence, seems to based on purely capital ship to capital ship battles, with fighter exchanges inbetween and invasions on foot.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:18:09 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:20:34 am »

Homeworld and it's sequel,  MoO2 (or 1 but not 3) and XWing vs Tie Fighter...

XWing v Tie you don't really control the capitol ships, but throwing 6 ISDs versus 6 Mon Cal Cruisers flying ships in between is hellah fun.

To be honest, some digging could probably find you some starwars based battlefield mods (AKA NOT battlefront) that gave you some of the 'each player does a different role on the ship' feel

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 11:35:01 am »

Wonder why nobody really does good capital ship combat?
Imma go ahead and blame the hyped up console whores who only like fighter combat.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 11:46:24 am »

'Cause capital ship combat is a fairly specific and not very popular branch of simulation, it requires vastly greater effort to set up, especially in the interface department.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

neudialect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 12:32:15 pm »

It is pretty hard to play x3 with a joystick, as it was primarily designed fo keyboard + mouse combo.  ::)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:21 pm »

What kind of capitol ship are we talkinga bout here?

Just large, slow flying tanks in space combat?
 Carrier combat?
 Being a crewman inside, working together with others to load the cannons and launch fighters while others work on piloting the things and repairing damages?

Because that last one I am looking for. Something like Puzzle Pirates IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!

But yes, I really don't know any. And, as has been said, it could be a very vague gametype as confusing as finding the definition of an RPG.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11