Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Capital Ship Sim  (Read 20497 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Ship Sim
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »

The moderators and community of BF are crap however......
OHOHO YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2009, 03:44:05 am »

i was looking at some of the mods for Homeworld 2

http://www.moddb.com/mods/tactical-fleet-simulator
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2009, 12:09:47 pm »

Isn't EvE önline a capital ship sim?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 12:28:48 pm »

No, because you always fly alone. It's the same reason X3 is not a capital ship sim - whatever humongous weaponry you have, and no matter how many turrets, you are always alone on the ship, with hardly any thought going into the operations. If Derek Smart's realisation of the other components of Battlecruiser Millenium wasn't so horrible, it would be the best capital ship sim ever. Because I don't know another game where you can track your crew as they run along the various corridors, only to suddenly disappear in a big explosion of a particularly lucky missile strike(along with, say, the detention cells - for some reason those were the most frequently damaged part on my ships. It's almost like the designers deliberately put the detention right against the hull and next to the power systems, so that all attackers inevitably hit them.).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »

Well if you have to loose any people in a attack, it might as well be the undesirables.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2009, 04:34:59 pm »

unless theyre important political prisoners you are trying to haul home for trial or something.

i'm not so concerned with seeing every crew member on a ship, as long as theyre reasonably abstracted.  in X3, you could HAIL capital ships and talk to different people on them.  So I always assumed that once you had a larger ship yourself, that it had some sort of crew and you were just the captain.

I think the best game in this genre that I have ever played -- though it was not in space -- was the old Carrier Command game. 

What I liked about it (on a ship level) was the ability to control various ships systems, manage damage control prioraties, fire the cannons and launch cruise missiles at different types of targets, deploy different types of craft and countermeasures, manage your stores, etc.

What I liked about it on a campaign level was your interaction with islands, the managing and harvesting of resources and managing of supply chains, and limited ability to order goods based on what islands you had linked into your supply chain.

X3 offers exactly the kind of campaign level play that I enjoy.  Its pretty sweet.  it offers SOME of the ship features I want to see, so I guess its treating me pretty well at the moment.  I havent been able to afford a cap-ship yet, but i think it has potential.  maybe there are mods or scripts for it that juice up the cap-ship play a little bit.

I THOUGHT 3000AD was going to offer the whole package when it was first announced.  my original thought was "holy shit, carrier command in space!"..... but we all know how that turned out, even 10 games later (or however many versions of the same game that theyve made)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »

found this:
http://cycrow.thexuniverse.us/scripts/html/crews/index.html

there are also some turet management scripts to change the way turrets behave on capital ships, as well as a mod to create "tenders" which ferry cargo to and from cap ships and heavy freighters, instead of using external docking clamps on stations.

looks like X3 might be more rockin' than i thought.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2009, 07:16:49 am »

The game X2 basically cost me my career as a freelancer, since I spent 6 months playing the game instead of hassling potential clients... I guess it was worth it tho ;)

It all started when a website asked me to review the game - and I spent three days just trying to figure out the basics, using the worst Tutorial I've seen since C64 days. (It's all full of instructions that are totally clear for an X veteran, but utterly crypic  for a n00b: The X2 Tutorial says "Press the button for SINZA mode" instead of "Press J to speed up gameplay to 6x" ... or "press the button for the autopilot" instead of "press Shift-D to automatically dock at the station". I presume they did this because "The player might change his hotkeys before playing the tutorial" ...

Also the X2 cutscenes are shockingly bad considering the very high quality of, well, everything else in the game really. I was much happier with the game when, after completing the game, I restarted without the campaign.

The best thing about it? Literally hundreds of sectors and a fantastic economy system with suply and demand and long range trading routes, and hmm ... it does have capital ships though these are not all that much fun to fly.

Also X2 was highly moddable, the best player scripts (e.g. for automated mining etc) wound up in the game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2009, 11:44:03 am »

I never understood why it was so difficult to decode the key mappings for a tutorial, or worst case Press the Jump Key (default: Space)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2009, 01:09:48 pm »

By the way guys, are you aware that... Well

http://www.relicnews.com/archives/2003/09/old_rn_2183/

And also,

http://homeworldsdl.org/
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2009, 01:59:22 pm »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009, 02:10:08 pm »

I'm fairly sure there's a windows version of some of the homeworld source code projects.

http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/ Try here.

However, development of either appears to have halted.
!!&!!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 08:16:11 pm »

No, because you always fly alone.

Well considering that the game backstory makes you out to be some resurrecting dude that is put into this pod of goo and you controll every inch of the ship with your mind.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2009, 11:18:24 pm »

No, because you always fly alone.

Well considering that the game backstory makes you out to be some resurrecting dude that is put into this pod of goo and you controll every inch of the ship with your mind.

Only on the frigates, apparently. The bigger ships can have several hundreds of "crew". For roleplaying reasons. - As far as I'm concerned however, unless I can see a manifesto with each and every one of these "crewmembers" bio and a picture, they don't exist.

Unless I'm not actually the captain, but a overhyped organic, decision making, tactical, compootor system (trademark) goading some easily led sheep to certain death.

I'd throw Startopia out here, but that's a space station sim, not a space-capital vessel sim.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2009, 03:57:48 pm »

Not exactly what is being seeked out, but we all know two big fleets in Sins of a Solar Empire will keep us occupied til we find our cap ship sims.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11