Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Capital Ship Sim  (Read 20501 times)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Ship Sim
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 11:55:28 am »

...You should try out that Eternal Silence project I mentioned - it seems to be exactly that. And using the Source engine.

Oh snap.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:39 am »

sounds good, and since i have TF2 i guess i can get it, too.  ;D

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:35 pm »

Yep, most hl2 mods work with any game that has source.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 06:37:34 pm »

That sounds alot like Star Wars Battlefron 2 space battles.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:52 pm »

That sounds alot like Star Wars Battlefron 2 space battles.
Now make the main ships move around and make it impossible to win in three minutes, more things for non-fighter people to do and then you will have my basic idea.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 10:20:54 pm »

I've played it today for a couple hours, pretty fun. Too bad you don't have actual control over the cap ships, besides taking control points. Might be able to use a turret or something, I just don't know.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 10:39:55 pm »

There's a mod for UT 3 that allows you to control capital ships.  It's called Angels Fall First: Plantetstorm.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

foxe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 12:08:54 am »

You might want this: http://www.freeallegiance.org/
Ships in some mods are "captialish" and does feature other players running the turrets.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 05:30:20 am »

There is a way to make capital ships be able to move and still not cause horrible gameplay under lag. Dual maps. Entering the capship teleports you to the stationary capship outside the regular map. You can easily move around it. It will be stationary while inside. Actions inside of it will affect both it and the actual one moving. Only the pilot ever gets to be in the mobile one and he's sitting in a chair. We can assume windows are too expensive or just have a constant moving space background. Nobody will notice. Since both maps are effectively one map, the load times are instant.

If there are two cap ships, both cap ships can be on the same map with the stationary ones. We just need to figure out a way to code it so the ships can affect each other. For example, a bomb going off on the stationary will explode on the mobile one too. The best way I see of doing this is just modeling the damage on the mobile one. I mean, we can assume it is made out of some tough shit. Applied phlebotinum. But those delicate subsystems such as the engines and shield bay aren't.  Because it wont work with it.

It's easy. Gunships fly into the hanger of the mobile. It teleports the gunship into the stationary one. Troops disembark and capture the stationary.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Crazy_Ivan80

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 06:25:48 am »

Which, the game or the mod?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Commander - this page has most of the relevant links. The mod I'm talking about is Kobayashi Maru 1.0, but there seem to be extensive mods about stuff like Battlestar Galactica as well. The game's very graphically pleasing, and controlling a large battle from the bridge (that constantly shakes and has sparks flying every which way when you're under fire) is really great.

Here, look at the damage done to this poor thing:
Spoiler: Warning! Large image. (click to show/hide)

I meant the mod. :)

Thankx for the info though. anything that improves BC is welcome

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 07:09:45 am »

I'm having heaps of trouble finding a valid download for the Kobayashi Maru mod. For some reason it's been removed from bcfiles (but not the pre-1.0 versions of it, interestingly enough), and the very few sites that do have it, only have the zip version and offer ludicrously slow speed, no manager support, and/or require registration.

Btw, is it even possible to buy the game anywhere now? I can't find it in any store around here, so I had to download it. I find it ironic, really - the Star Trek games were usually the worst, until Elite Force came about, and yet the best starship-based game of the series is also the single best starship combat simulation game (strategy games and Battlecruiser series notwithstanding) available, and is now literally being lost to time.

About the lag problems with moving ships - it's very easy for a skilled programmer to fix. The original Battlefield games had all objects move in the same world-relative coordinate system, but it's enough to have objects in contact with the ship's surface move in ship-relative coordinates to annihilate lag issues. Actually, that's the same system proposed to reduce various problems with pathing and incoming threats for DF ships.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:14:31 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 07:44:46 am »

Battleships Forever.

It's 2D, and has been mentioned often(but oddly doesn't have a thread of it's own), But you control huge ships with weapons and the ship can be blown apart and survive sometimes.

Also, there is a single-ship control mode where you use a combination of (WASD or the arrow keys, I forgot what one) and the mouse.

Although you can't walk around in them, the ship editor allows you to make practically anything, and they recently added support for MOVING PARTS. Also, they added support for cusyom sprites, and added a module that loads and spawns any custom ship when it's used.
Eh?
Eh!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 10:21:00 am »

The moderators and community of BF are crap however......
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 11:24:09 am »

If there's anything I dislike about Battleships Forever, is that they took a perfectly good idea and made an arcade out of it. Then again, it IS gamemaker-made, so maybe it's too difficult.. still, why not include proper subsystems like power generators and different-quality engines from the get-go? It's the same as Spore, the only thing that matters is the looks, except here it's better because the looks have an effect (ablative armor).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 07:14:41 pm »

BF has a great deal of potential, and its sort of a shame no one has made a game out of it yet.  The incomplete single player game is pretty neat, but it really needs an open ended campaign mode.

the ship construction is fun if you have the time for it, and you can really do a great deal of customization with balancing what parts are connected to where (trees-like structures and bush-like structures have different advantages) as well as weapon, shield, and firing arc placement.

but its all arbitrary.  its not like there is a cost to upgrades or any rules to ship creation.  you can make whatever you like, but there is no balancing mechanism. 

also, you can really only play with custom ships in single arcade fights.  its a fun combat engine for spaceships, but it would be better if it was made into an actual GAME.  sort of like Mount and Blade, but even more so.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11