Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Work continues on the Maximum Fun Chamber.  (Read 1886 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work continues on the Maximum Fun Chamber.
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:26:35 pm »

Working on a project called the Maximum Fun Chamber. A winding hallway of spikes hooked to pressure plates, so that I have an automated system. Been testing it with caged gobbos-so far, results are very amusing.

so far it's only been used for disposal of prisoners, since I enjoy watching them run the gauntlet, but it's right under a bridge that invaders have to cross to enter the fortress, so... Heh.

Right now I'm working on other ways of dropping things into the chamber. I need to add bridges elsewhere, which lead underground and only come out via the MFC.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Work continues on the Maximum Fun Chamber.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:40:46 pm »

What kind of spike action do you get? I know most people have them all go up and down at once, but I have always looked for a way to make random spikes go at random times.

Also, fill the pit with a shallow layer of water! Make 'em miserable.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

FoboslC

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:51:42 pm »

Quantum Cat Random Generator Switch. Thats pretty easy. An entire room with pressure plates connected to spikes, and lots, lots of cats.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:57:20 pm »

I've just been doing "all at once", mostly because it's easier, also because it adds to the anticipation. However, as I add additional drop chambers (open pits that exit into the Maximum Fun Chamber), I may use a design using pressure plates triggered by those in the pit to trigger them. As in, one gobbo steps on a plate, and it causes spikes to spring up all around him. Useless for one gobbo, but if I catch three or four, they'll be skewering each other.

and I am already rigging the entire chamber to flood, as well. Good for cleaning it out, that or spreading the blood EVERYWHERE.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:19:38 am »

Quantum Cat Random Generator Switch. Thats pretty easy. An entire room with pressure plates connected to spikes, and lots, lots of cats.

A variant; the Quantam Cat Switch Tracer.

Have your pressure plates match up to the spikes one by one exactly, and let loose a single cat.

The results ought to be torturously fun to watch.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:31:56 am »

A variant; the Quantam Cat Switch Tracer.

Have your pressure plates match up to the spikes one by one exactly, and let loose a single cat.

The results ought to be torturously fun to watch.

I like this better. Enter paranoia mode. But, since your chamber has a lot of spikes, and thus switches, you need to keep the goblins pathing for a lot longer to get the job done. A pressure plate near the end of the maze should close their exit and open a new one, forcing them to travel again through the chamber. Pressure plates by every exit for an eternal stay in the Maximum Fun Chamber.

Hell, for real fun, make it a multi-level maze.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:42:05 am »

spreading the blood EVERYWHERE.
Alas, we cannot say this truthfully 'till we eventually test if the sky can get blood splatters on it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:25:47 am »

Water can fall. Maybe, we can freeze a blood waterfall on it's way down, and support it with constructions?

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 01:57:20 am »

I got an Idea for the cat chamber.

rather than the cat wandering aimlessly (thus slowly) fill the entire room with pressure plates,

[][][][][][][][][][]   Squares being doors, # plates.
[]########[]   Connect (for example) red plate to close the door infront of it, forcing the cat to path to
[]########[]   red door, which forces the cat to go to blue, and so on.
[]####c ###
[]########[]
[][][][][][][][][][]

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:57:47 am »

Water can fall. Maybe, we can freeze a blood waterfall on it's way down, and support it with constructions?

I'm calling it now. The minute liquid-blood-globs go in? Dwarves encased in cubes of their own frozen blood upon being struck by a bolt.

When this happens, you had DAMN well better give me credit.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 02:34:44 am »

Sadly, ArkDelgato, cats obey no mortal, and seem to have no real pathing bilt-in...
They just wander arround...
A camel or mule would work, but a mule does not have the advantage of ever being refered to in conjunction with probability, or quantum mechanics...:(
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 02:42:07 am »

Can you put a stockpile on a pressure plate? Put a plate under each tile of your booze stockpile, so each drink results in spikes shooting up. Either that or put one along each path to your various food/booze/ammo/etc. stockpiles.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 03:04:12 am »

I'm calling it now. The minute liquid-blood-globs go in? Dwarves encased in cubes of their own frozen blood upon being struck by a bolt.

I thought blood couldn't freeze. Something about if not quite being a liquid yet.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 03:43:00 am »

I thought blood couldn't freeze. Something about if not quite being a liquid yet.

Keyword: Yet.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:49 pm »

When they add in more liquids, such as making lakes of booze and whatnot, why not also blood?

Embark on a cold climate such that you can freeze things if left outside.

An entire tower built of frozen goblin and/or elf blood!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2