Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jailbreak  (Read 3047 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Jailbreak
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:16:53 pm »

This is the only other thread I found that reminds me of my suggestion: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22973.0

What I propose is however a bit different. I had caught a number of goblins. 5 thieves and 1 wrestler and a MACE LORD.
I had them all in a single room and for fun I released the macelord while I had locked a giant cougar in the room. He slayed it effortlessly and proceeded to walk in circles until I unlocked the door.

Now all the cages were made of wood so he and his friends should have been able to escape on their own.. and he didn't give them a moments attention as he ran out of there.

My suggestion is that powerful creatures should be able to break out of weak cages and if they are intelligent they should be able to let others of their kind out. The group that forms should work together to escape the fortress instead of each running his own way as it is now.. maybe the "jailbreakers" could earn the ability to destroy doors and other obstacles if they are strong enough, or the thieves being able to lockpick them and disarm traps?

This would also add benefits to having say.. an iron cage instead of a tin cage. The only good thing about iron cages today is that you can melt them!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Jailbreak
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:32:58 am »

Cages do need to have their "indestructable" status revoked; such humorous combinations as GLASS cages holding Bronze Colossi have occurred.

A wooden or tin cage makes perfect sense for docile animals, but I agree, restraints and the like ought to be subject to a beast's strength.

Another thing to add while we're on this topic... multi-chaining. Allow a creature to be affixed to two ropes, for example, so it can be stretched out for flaying, or have a Titan chained with eight full chains.

Also, glass cages ought to be able to contain water, for trapping animals such as carp... or if you want to keep drowned corpses in sight for all to see.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:07 am »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Aquarium

They already have a system for that. Cages can't contain water you silly.. aquariums work though. I built one lone ago and captured a fish.. strangest thing. The fish disappeared so I caught another. That one disappeared as well.

Either it bugged or the cat took them. Never investigated it further.
I have an art blog now.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:50:09 am »

Also, glass cages ought to be able to contain water, for trapping animals such as carp... or if you want to keep drowned corpses in sight for all to see.
???
They already do.  Glass cages are called aquariums.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:44:29 am »

Huh. I've yet to see a carp get caught in one, then...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:02:09 am »

Well they work differently from cages. (actually the terrarium IS the glass equivalent of a cage)

You build a glass terrarium, go into properties and tell it to become an aquarium.. then tell someone in the fishery to catch "live fish" .. let's just hope the carp don't eat the fisherman, eh?
I have an art blog now.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:26:48 pm »

OP, this is a good and "realistic" idea. Right now, cages are totally imbalanced. 1 cage can hold infinite? number of creatures. Yes, even a simple wooden cage. I am pretty sure that Toady will fix the "cage system", but we don't know that when will that happen. The sooner, the better.  :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:14:59 pm »

Start Jailbreak Adventure

You wake up locked in a deserted jail cell, completely alone. There is nothing at all in your cell, useful or otherwise.

> |

> Attempt to pry open window.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:17:04 pm by Draco18s »

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:58:13 am »

Break out, sure, but i expect metal cage to be able to contain all creatures safely.(like iron and steel.. maybe quality could influence that, but how to make it clear that X cage of Z quality wont hold Y creature?)

It would be nice if goblins had the ability/brains/code to identify cages that have other goblins inside, then proceed to open them before anything else if he can... so one can try to free the others. Same with other intelligent creatures. That would help save on mechanism cost for opening multiple cages in the same area too.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:54:09 am »

Question: Vermin and other creatures can damage (or wear out) container-items like barrels, correct? So then should it be possible to extend the system to allow creatures to wear out their cages? A pine cage full of elephants eventually degrades into a xXpine cageXx. Eventually, the cage breaks and releases its contents, much like barrels?

Good idea or bad?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05:20 pm »

Vermin can wear down the goods contained in barrels (but much less quickly than they can wear down food not contained in barrels). I don't think they can affect the containers themselves, but that's a decent idea.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 12:07:08 pm »

That would get annoying after the 1000th jail break.  Maybe optional.  *shrugs*

Metal would be stronger.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 12:19:08 pm »

Well, if you think it would get annoying, then either fortify your jail a bit or stop using saguaro wood cages to hold goblin axelords and giant tigers.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 12:20:39 pm »

OK!

I'll just throw them in a pit then.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 12:40:53 pm »

Which will work great until Toady adds climbing to the game. :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2