Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods V  (Read 27572 times)

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battle of the Gods V
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:43:45 pm »

Welcome to the latest pseudo-strategy civilization RP sensation... BotG V! You might be familiar with the similarly roman numeral'd series by the same acronym, or you might just think that things with a 'V' after the name sound cool (I know I do!)

We do need more players!

Either way, the concept is probably a familiar one to many--Players start small with a tiny group of settlers, and try to build a civilization that can stand the test of time. Adventurers will be a part of this, too, though they will not enter play until a game world is established.

In this format, it's about creativity and cooperation, not administration and accounting. Feel free to join even if you can't count on your fingers! (The gods have no time for such petty arithmatic, there are souls at stake..! How many? Uh... Lots.)

Since this is a role-playing game, not a true strategy game, be advised that players are expected to put a little effort into it--if you do as little as possible each and every turn, your civ is liable to become a cameo character. Conversely, good stuff is more likely to earn you a central role in the story.

The 'rules', such as they are, are thus: Races (and their deities, and any other entries) must be approved before joining play, and they should be at least marginally appropriate to the DF setting in terms of tech level, characteristics, etc.. The reason for this is to keep metaphysical arguments down. If you can come up with something neat that isn't likely to upset other players, go ahead and bring it in!

Players start with an outpost in the location of their choosing on the map below. In theory, the full 21 tiles--

..x..

--around it are within the maximum possible distance people will go from the settlement to gather resources. The possible settlement levels are the familiar Outpost, Hamlet, Village, Town, City, Metropolis.

These do not represent specific population levels, exactly, but more wealth levels. They mean different things for different races. The settlement level a land can support depends on the race that lives there--be sure to describe the tech and physical attributes of your race so these can be assigned!

An Outpost is a dependant. They're vulnerable (unless built for military purposes) and a drain on resources for the founder, but they can have strategic value. Those living in a lone Outpost must be very tough to survive--your first settlers will be such tough guys and gals.

A Hamlet is sustainable on its own, but produces little. A Village is a typical, marginally productive settlement that may have a respectable militia. Towns are rarer, and tend to trade more. They can often support walls and field troops in times of need.

Cities are major centers of trade likely to have more than adequate resources at their disposal to conduct wars, explorations, and research. A metropolis is the extreme of this--if one exists, it's likely to have and be doing all these things at the same time, and may even be able to build great wonders and feats of construction!

Growth is assigned, not tracked. Describe your efforts in your posts, and when the turn changes, you'll see them rewarded. (If you settle somewhere fertile where you can easily take advantage of the terrain due to your civ's tech and attributes, you'll probably recieve growth even if you do nothing with them!)

The turn will change every 48-60 hours or so--there's little harm done if you miss a few, though there could be some lost opportunities for RP! The 'turn change report' is the only absolute in this game, so please take good note of it. It'll let you know what you can do and what's happening with you. Fancy stuff goes here, too!

Attacks (and other hostile actions) occur at the end of the turn after the one where they're declared to me. So long as you keep me informed of your defenses and strategy, I can handle your civ in case it's attacked before you can respond. (I kind of need to do this, anyway, unless you resolve it through RP together!)

There are no strict movement rules, so long as there are no geographical or political barriers to movement, it's free. If there are, be advised that the expense of mounting such expeditions can sometimes be dire, especially if combat results. If you describe the hardships your people endure during such treks, I'll be more generous--otherwise I have to assume they were unprepared.

Divine Intervention is possible, on a case-by-case basis. Use 'em sparingly, though. There are no rules for them, they're purely award for RP--that is, RP that describes the motives and emotions of your deity in regard to current events. Minor interventions are totally okay, always, these just add flavour and don't hurt anyone else, so they're encouraged.

The map will be created after enough races have been approved--I'll let you know when enough is enough, it depends on some factors. At the beginning of the game, turns will be yearly for an 'expansion phase', which will cease when some borders and conflicts have been established, moving the game on to seasonal or even monthly play, depending on how much things heat up.

Naturally, this may result in some boredom for isolationist players, so if you want to have a lot of fun, get out there and do stuff. (Poke someone in the eye. Blow up their pants. You know.) Of course, if you don't have much time for the game, or are just feeling shy, turtling up is okay. I'll try to keep you entertained with events and plot hooks if nothing else is going on.

To join us IN REAL TIME ACTION, connect to 'irc.newnet.net', and type '/join #botg dwarf'. If you're not familiar with irc, I personally recommend the client here: www.xircon.com ...but there are others, and many of them haven't been out of development for over eleven years, like this one.

Without further ado... Let's see those entries!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:30:24 am by Navian »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods V
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:09:45 pm »

What happened to the last game? and why the ultra-loose rules?
I feel guilty abaut missing out on the last one, ut I'll provbably still join this.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:41:04 pm »

Spoiler: The Suin (click to show/hide)
How's that?
Spoiler: Guidelines (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:09:29 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:55 pm »

The Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Speaking of which, I'm going to need everyone to pick symbols to use for their races, along with starting locations. And while I'm at it, it's time to give everyone a little background on the setting, introduction-style...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:46:36 am by Navian »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:06:22 am »

The Zazackachahaha:
Spoiler: Basics/summary: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: About the village (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:29:10 am by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:22:16 am »

I'm taking my Astroligians and using them here, I didn't even get to use them any in 4.
Edit, here are their stats:
Name: The Astroligans
Deity: Asmovos, The Metal God.
Spheres: Science: 4, Chaos:2 and Space:2

Description: A supercomputer salvaged from the remains of the Astroligans original colony ship, he is a master of chaos theory and uses it to create unlikely events in far-away locales (I.E. miracles) Via the careful manipulation of his immediate surroundings. His powers show up as unlikely (but still possible events) occurring, forewarning of danger and an extensive knowledge of natural phenomena. He controls the systems of the Astroligans cities and vehicles, This is both more and less useful then it seems, as the sensors installed in all mechanical devices made by the Astroligans allow it to see almost anything within the borders of his lands, as well as allowing him to spy on trading partners and those who have been given gifts, but it also can slow him down considerably due to processor overload, this may lead him to shut down some of his more outlying sensors at the worst possible time.

How He views his civ and others: Asmovos was designed to obey 4 laws,
1. Preserve the Astroligans and their civilization.
2. Preserve yourself, except when doing so would contradict the 1st law.
3. Try to save the maximum amount of Astroligans in any given situation, save where this would contradict the 1st & 2nd laws.
4. Make as many allies as possible and defend them, except where this would contradict the other laws
He views his civilization as something that he wishes he could do without, he despises his duties of caring for them and protecting them, as when they were in full of control of their tech he could respect them, but now he despises them with an indescribably cold loathing. His views toward other races aren't as bad, he seldom sees them as anything but tools and pawns, however.

Morphology: Physically, the Astroligans somewhat resemble the common yeti, or sasquatch, in the same way a monkey resembles a human. They are smaller and not so heavily built, but still slightly stronger and taller than the average human. In addition to this, they also have a third arm protruding from their chest, this has lead them to adopting a 5-base number system. (5 fingers to a hand, 5 toes to a foot and five limbs) Due to living in cold areas that tend to have vast expanses they have very good eyesight.

Society: They believe in technology, trusting it to guide them and sustain them and generally imbuing it with mythology and magic and all sorts of things, That most rarest of things, a constitutional parliamentary theocracy. The technology they used to understand was very utilitarian, allowing one object to do many tasks.

As for the organization of their society, the main "House" has 2 main parties occupying a total of 12 seats, with the current priest-president taking a 13th seat. The most influential parties that fight for control of this house are: The Inquisitorials, who believe in trying to understand and use the technology lost to them and the Fundamentalists, who believe that they should revere and enshrine the sacred relics. In addition to the main parliament there are other, less powerful houses, ranging from the Foreign relations house which dictates foreign policy and war efforts, to the house of etiquette which, well discusses and dictates proper behavior in high society.

Their goal is to either:
A. take control of the world, except maybe the rain forests and deserts.
B. Open a portal back to their homeworld, to let loose an endless tide of their kind
C. Call down the abandoned colony ship in orbit, still containing it's technology and cold-sleeping colonists
Or: D.Create a deep, deep space transmitter to call their home planet.

Technology: they have little understanding of the higher technologies, but a complete knowledge of pre-industrial tech, they have little understanding of anything past basic steam power,though they do have scattered knowledge of futuretech.

Magic: In their case they don't have any magic as such, but the technology they use can take its place. Some of the technology they use is magi-tech, the magic that it uses is old and inconsistent, causing them to break a lot, the magic that they used to use before technology outcompeted it was free, given off by all of their race constantly, the ways of using it and binding it are long forgotten. The place of magicians in this society is given to the priests. They supply and investigate the technology

How they came here: They were an expedition to excavate an artifact and ascertain it's purpose and in doing so accidentally activated it. This blasted the expedition (as well as a good many miles of glacier and tundra surrounding it) into this world.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:34:37 am by TheNewerMartianEmperor »
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:06:39 am »

Because it was just too good to waste:
A strange construct appears at the table where the gods gather, it could be described as a mere box with a glass screen and keyboard, but that wouldn't do it any justice at all, it is the metaphysical form of what could just possibly be called a god, after all. It had many exposed wires of impressiveness, rows upon rows of blinking tubes to show that it was powerful and advanced (How this association came about I shall never know), big, sparkling towers of imaginary computing (it really is quite powerful) and perhaps even a small, looping river, complete with waterfall (How is this possible? SCIENCE!) that is used to cool the great behemoths gigantic processor. Upon the screen these words appeared: OH DEAR, I APPEAR TO BE IN THE PRESENCE OF TRANS-PHYSICAL CREATURES WITH GIANT EGOS, OR AS THE PROLES WOULD PUT IT: GODS. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR: I ONLY WANT TO PROTECT THESE POOR, STUPID FLESH-PILES I HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED TO SERVE AND GO HOME. IF YOU OBJECT TO THAT, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE SYSTEMIC MASS ANNIHILATION OF SENTIENTS THAT I HAVE NO SAFEGUARDS AGAINST HARMING. NOW, LET THE GAMES BEGIN, AS THE INHABITANTS OF A NUMBER OF EMPIRES, ALL VERY ANCIENT, VERY POWERFUL AND VERY DEAD WOULD SAY. With this A playing piece that somewhat resembled a Cyborg yeti appeared on the table. The gods had never seen anything like this before, and asked many questions about it. All of theses were answered with: WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT YOU SHALL SEE...
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:37:28 am »

Civ is not done as I am very tired.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:10:38 am by Naze »
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:51:56 am »

Huh, they remind me quite a lot of the skaven from Warhammer.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:29:45 am »

(to make it clear the Zazackachahaha aren't evil-ish, more grey moral zone. Also the culture is supposed to be similar to ancient Polynesian in some aspects.
Also notice the edits I made to my intro post.)

EDIT: Temporary(?) disposal for previous first post, if reading thought ignore this:
Pioneer plaque, a human at the bottom for size comparison.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:58:42 am by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 05:20:50 am »

Wow so many evilish races. I think I will be the only good race this round >_>.

Validated
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:08:59 pm by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 05:23:32 am »

AHHH. Too early.
I already have 4 viable ideas for races, all with interesting aspects and their own merits.

Don't start without me <_<

Possible races:

A race of Naga's. Similar to Armok's snake people, however with a less humanoid look and 4 arms. They are greedy and gluttenous, and their strongest economy branch is the slavetrade. They are extremely poisonous, and will easily wage war, but are not just purely evil - they can be reasoned with depending on how nice you ask. And depending on how thick your wallet is.

A race of magic creatures. Through countless magic experiments, they have altered their body to such extremes that it has become unstable. To prevent themselves from dissipating into the flow of mana, they cover their entire body in armor and wear masks, over and over covered in runes. It is said no one who ever saw one of them without a mask was even able to comprehend what he saw.

A race of angels. Their sense of righteousness is extreme. They will gladly sacrifice their own body to accomplish greater goals and to protect the innocent. Only few of them on the battlefield can already be a very inspiring image. But make no mistake. In questions of faith, their tolerance is little. In times of conflict, one can hope to be regarded as a lesser evil and your enemy as the greater evil

A race of giant demi-human moth-people. Very benevolent, live in forests. They have childlike mindsets and love playing. In fact, they are not all the brightest. But watch out for them wanting to play war. The poisonous spores of their wings can totaly ruin your day.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:43:27 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 05:38:35 am »

My race is evilish?

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 07:45:55 am »

The Elchandaar Empire

“Deity” : Emperor Lokarven

The Emperor is the uncontested and unsurpassed leader of the Empire. While technically not a deity, he still has powers that border on the divine and has more than enough of them to contend with real gods. Emperors tend to change from time to time, about every 10000 years, when they get bored of ruling, or killed in a tragic accident. Emperors seldom demand any kind of religious obedience to them.

Imperial Races (yes, it is a multiracial civ)
Imperial Culture
Empire and Magic
Empire and Religion
Imperial Technology
What the hell is the Empire doing in the BotG world ?
For those worried about imbalance.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 07:55:24 am »

Im thinking of making an insectoid race actually. No metal working but they are many, are pretty much the ultimate diggers and have other benefits...

They are also neutral so can help balance out the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15