Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF adventurer reincarnated  (Read 2864 times)

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF adventurer reincarnated
« on: February 07, 2009, 09:45:08 am »

Take a look at this guy John "Liver Eating" Johnson

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=366

Inside where he couldn't be seen, Johnston eventually managed to chew through the leather straps which bound him, and he slipped out of the exit. When he confronted the guard outside, Johnston– who was a large man of about six feet and two hundred pounds– landed a devastating blow to the man's nose before he was able to act. Johnston wasted no time in taking the warrior's knife, which he used to saw one of the Indian's legs off at the hip. Armed with the leg as a blunt instrument and with the warrior's knife, Johnston managed to fight his way out of the Blackfoot camp and make his escape into the woods.

As Johnston began the two hundred mile journey back to his cabin, the guard's leg proved to be useful as more than just a weapon. He used it as a source of food for lack of anything better in the harsh winter, and it sustained him until he reached his destination.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: DF adventurer reincarnated
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:41 pm »

I'm calling bullshit on this. It's impossible to cut someone's leg off with a knife. I demand a picture of the knife.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:02:43 pm »

No it's not.  You  can cut off a leg with a knife by either hacking with a lot of force or hacking repeatedly.  If it has a sharp edge, it can cut off a body part, albeit messily.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:05:36 pm »

It's actually quite easy to cut off a limb with a knife if you know what you're doing. You just need to cut at a joint to avoid having to cut through bone.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:06:21 pm »

I have cut off animal legs when I was butchering animals before, its not too hard. Anyways another source said that he used an axe.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:51:19 am »

no doubt liver eating johnsen was a rather epic and extremely dwarvenly guy. his life reads a little like threetoes stories. i think the terror factor of being attacked by a big, probably blood soaked guy wielding an axe/knife in one hand and a leg in another contributed to his escaping the entire camp.

some modern historian peoples think he was an excellent self promoter and propaganda artist, and used to fake eating the livers of his enemies rather then actually eat them. after all, who actually watches all that closely when a massive bearded angry man opens up his fallen foe and scoops bits out of their warm twitching innards and starts chewing on them?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »

Especially since eating corpses can lead to some nasty diseases such as the human version of Mad cow. (I don't know what it is called... you get it by injesting human protean)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:02:58 am »

Especially since eating corpses can lead to some nasty diseases such as the human version of Mad cow. (I don't know what it is called... you get it by injesting human protean)

Mad Human? :P
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:52:40 am »

Spongiform encephalopathy, probably Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease specifically.

Great fun!

(Wikipedia notes that there was a movie based on this guy, apparently.)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 06:51:54 am »

look at that beard.
He is certainly a dwarf.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:55 am »

It's actually quite easy to cut off a limb with a knife if you know what you're doing. You just need to cut at a joint to avoid having to cut through bone.

Ah. Didn't think of that. Consider my bullshit call revoked.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 03:05:55 pm »

Ah. Didn't think of that. Consider my bullshit call revoked.
Anyway, dwarf steel can hew through anything.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:19:59 am »

besides, wasn't there some dude cut off his OWN leg with a knife to get free after he got it caught in a climbing fall?

no. wait. that was his arm. http://hike.mountainzone.com/2003/news/html/030502_amputate-arm.html
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:01:31 am »

Plus there was that guy in a videogame who used an alien Jawbone to saw off his arm to get a Crystal of Death that brings people back to life.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 05:12:24 pm »

I'm calling bullshit on this. It's impossible to cut someone's leg off with a knife. I demand a picture of the knife.

I think clarification needs to be made here.

YOU can't cut someone's leg off with a knife, but I bet you've never tried.

Liver-Eating Johnson didn't even need the knife, he was just modest enough not to pick the guy up by the leg and slam him against something until the leg detached, which would've been a total show-off move.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2