Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interesting gamasutra article about AI  (Read 3421 times)

Mikko

Re: Interesting gamasutra article about AI
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 04:08:26 pm »

Um. I hate to tell you this... but Toady himself has been known to mock the AIs driving our beloved dwarves. Yeah, they can do some pretty amazing things in aggregate but that is mostly an emergent property rather than any glorious piece of individual AI. Dwarves are about as intelligent as the rocks they live under.
goblin doom!
For them or for the dwarves?

r u gais sur u r not b talking bout globins?

(excuse me while I go cut my fingers off.)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »

Um. I hate to tell you this... but Toady himself has been known to mock the AIs driving our beloved dwarves. Yeah, they can do some pretty amazing things in aggregate but that is mostly an emergent property rather than any glorious piece of individual AI. Dwarves are about as intelligent as the rocks they live under.

Sometimes Emergent AI is the best kind. Our favorite ant-farm-with-beard can do some amazing things from a very simple rule set. Each Dwarf can, individually, be dumb, but together they can build a mighty fortress of goblin doom!

That's not emergent AI at all, that's the person controlling them.

The dwarves have very very little AI - if left alone they will idle around the wagon eating vermin until they die of old age (or carp). If you left them alone and they then built farms and beds and started brewing their own beer, then realized the goblins came every year and killed a bunch of them and then started building weapons and siege engines and walls you could say they have AI.

To say DF has better AI then Crysis is kind of silly - they are both very, very simplistic.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 07:54:44 pm »

At least when I run at high speeds towards a goblin wearing heavy armor being about as stealthy as a horny rhino, it doesn't just stand there completely ignoring me except to shout at me in Korean.
!!&!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »

Please everyone excuse the folowing rant.

So you grammar nazis you are ranting about my english? You know what? People like you are the last thing i need.

It is easy to criticize people who speak in theyr second or third language right? Especally if you have only spoken english in your entire lifetime.

hmmpf dont forget an nice "every day" AI for the more peacefull stuff and interpersonal relationships.

Talk to people could be made more informativ and interresting especally cause we already have more fleshed out personalities then in most other games.
Oh snap!
Grammer NAZI TIME!

hmmpf = sound of displeasure, i dont think that needs any grammar naziing.

"An AI" is definitly correct cause:
Quote: Wikipedia

An is the older form (related to one, cognate to German ein; etc), now used before words starting with a vowel sound, regardless of whether the word begins with a vowel letter.[1] Examples: a light-water reactor; an LWR (although this example only applies if the letters are intended to be pronounced); a sanitary sewer overflow; an SSO

[...]

The choice of "a" or "an" is determined by phonetic rules rather than by spelling convention. "An" is employed in speech to remove the awkward glottal stop (momentary silent pause) that is otherwise required between "a" and a following word e.g. "an X-ray" is less awkward to pronounce than "a X-ray" which has a glottal stop between "a" and "X-ray".

I like to use the older form "an" more at times cause it makes more sense for me. Why? Cause my first language is German and an makes the sentence in my oppion more fluent! Oh and on a sidenote "AI" is two seperate spoken vowels and the relationship to the artickle is clearly visible cause "AI" is the only subject, in this sentence, which is singular.

You can say now "Atleast install an Spellchecker". Ok nice retour but sadly there aren't any working spellcheckers for FF 3.0.6. And even then you would find "failures" cause there are enought differences between Oxford, British and US Englisch (not to mention NZ and Austrailian english).

So please shut up as long i don't write in something that looks like swahili.

You grammar nazis make me sick and your constant overpedantic nagging kills the fun i have on this forum. I try to write as good as possible but i can renounce your "help".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:09:36 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 09:09:36 pm »

Er.

I agree with most of the above rant, except it would be "a" in this situation. What matters in that choice isn't the beginning sound of the noun, but the beginning sound of the next word. If it's a vowel sound, then use "a." If consonant, use "an." An AI, a nice AI. An interesting pony, a pony.

It's a lot more intuitive for English speakers when we actually speak it.

Also, I thought FF had a spell-checker? But I suppose you've got a German version--fair enough. Maybe someone wrote a plug-in that would help you switch languages with ease. Ah, here's something that might help: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1333
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 09:12:59 pm »

bijong i have th FF spellcheckers already installed the problem is that the newest versions aren't supported because the addons didnt get updated themselfs for FF 3.0.6 .
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 09:16:35 pm »

Please everyone excuse the folowing rant.

So you grammar nazis you are ranting about my english? You know what? People like you are the last thing i need.

It is easy to criticize people who speak in theyr second or third language right? Especally if you have only spoken english in your entire lifetime.

hmmpf dont forget an nice "every day" AI for the more peacefull stuff and interpersonal relationships.

Talk to people could be made more informativ and interresting especally cause we already have more fleshed out personalities then in most other games.
Oh snap!
Grammer NAZI TIME!

hmmpf = sound of displeasure, i dont think that needs any grammar naziing.

"An AI" is definitly correct cause:
Quote: Wikipedia

An is the older form (related to one, cognate to German ein; etc), now used before words starting with a vowel sound, regardless of whether the word begins with a vowel letter.[1] Examples: a light-water reactor; an LWR (although this example only applies if the letters are intended to be pronounced); a sanitary sewer overflow; an SSO

[...]

The choice of "a" or "an" is determined by phonetic rules rather than by spelling convention. "An" is employed in speech to remove the awkward glottal stop (momentary silent pause) that is otherwise required between "a" and a following word e.g. "an X-ray" is less awkward to pronounce than "a X-ray" which has a glottal stop between "a" and "X-ray".

I like to use the older form "an" more at times cause it makes more sense for me. Why? Cause my first language is German and an makes the sentence in myi oppion more fluent! Oh and on a sidenote "AI" is two seperate spoken vowels and the relationship to the artckle is clearly visible cause "AI" is the only subject, in this sentence, which is singular.

You can say now "Atleast install an Spellchecker". Ok nice retour but sadly there aren't any working spellcheckers for FF 3.0.6. And even then you would find "failures" cause there are enought differences between Oxford, British and US Englisch (not to mention NZ and Austrailian english).

So please shut up as long i don't write in something that looks like swahili.

You grammar nazis make me sick and your constant overpedantic nagging kills the fun i have on this forum. I try to write as good as possible but i can renounce your "help".
I couldn't resist. Although you do spell very well for English as a second language.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:22 pm »

[offtopic]Incidentally, "Englisch" is how that word is spelled in German. Since it is pronounced the same as it is in English, it's one of the most commonly misspelled words by Germans.

Nevertheless, Heph, a lot of the stuff you're getting wrong there is rather basic. Stuff on that level I would be quite embarrassed to get wrong in German, even though my native language is English and I am merely learning German.

EDIT for confused people: Replace "I would be quite embarrassed" with "I am quite embarrased."[/offtopic]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:27:11 pm by Savok »
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 10:36:29 pm »

Ah, so that's why FF hasn't been catching stuff in Gmail recently. I guess.

Also, Savok, after studying German for a few years, I still get basic things wrong, like verb endings. And everything having to do with you plural. EVERYTHING.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Mikko

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 05:05:19 am »

And this is a story about how a topic got derailed...

By the way, English is my FUCKING THIRD language. I am FUCKING 14 and I speak three languages, two of them being better than English. Stop ranting and go read some books.

Oh and see that signature there? Me speaking Spanish for the first time of my life so don't judge me! :D Afterall the whole thing was just to response someone who spoke Spanish to me! :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:08:58 am by Mikko »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 06:41:20 am »

-.- i have an library of atleast around 300 books (i did read all). 100 of them are in English. In addition to this i have around 1000 scientifical articles on my HDD which are in English too.

If you cant take critic in response to your own please think about criticizeing in the first place before you hit the submit/save button.

Back on topic.

Gothic 3 iirc had an Pointsystem for Basics needs of the NPCs (reduced to sleep communication, hunger and moneymaking/work). Theyr behavior code was activated as soon one of these needs decayed far enough and certain conditions, like occurence of Dusk, were met.

Pretty similiar to some of this stuff in the Gamasutra-article with the difference that as far as i can see this behaviors G3 does for its NPCs isnt caused by the player.

Combining both would lead to an bahavior that looks like the creature would have an "life". The problem is that the NPCs society would be very static.

To compensate this our NPCs could, under usage of there personality and traits, get "goals" and relationships. The later are already to some extend in the game.

Also our NPCs can activly manipulate the world in which they are in if they know that they can do. This knowledge needs an way to be increased. Dwarves (etc) should be able to learn an new proffesion if needed. For example an Mason could become Farmer if there is not enought food in his town. currently iirc this doesnt happen as long the player doesnt order it or an siege happens in worldgen.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:45:56 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 10:10:42 am »

Quote from: Mikko link=topic=30677.msg418
727#msg418727 date=1234087519
By the way, English is my FUCKING THIRD language. I am FUCKING 14 and I speak three languages, two of them being better than English. Stop ranting and go read some books.

Yeah but that's not really a fair comparison.  Everyone knows Scandinavians get +3 to language acquisition.

Mikko

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 11:11:37 am »

Quote from: Mikko link=topic=30677.msg418
727#msg418727 date=1234087519

Yeah but that's not really a fair comparison.  Everyone knows Scandinavians get +3 to language acquisition.
Naa more like +3 to every literal skill.

Just because Finnish education does it right.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 02:54:49 pm »

Just chill Mikko... ;D

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 06:21:20 pm »

Wish I could speak more than one language. 1-10 in another language doesn't apply, obviously (Almost typed 1-10 doesn't count, heh).
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3