Samurai Fortress
- 0 (0%)
Zombies Mod
- 0 (0%)
Other (Post it!)
- 5 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mod usage  (Read 1272 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Mod usage
« on: February 06, 2009, 02:06:06 pm »

I was looking at the newly stickied mod thread and started wondering about mod usage. So I figured I'd put up a poll to see what people use.

For me, I started with lots of little odds and ends that looked interesting, and then started my own mod. At this point, Civilization Forge is pretty much all I use for playing DF. It'd seem weird without it.

How about you? Mods you use, stuff you avoid, all that kind of stuff.

I tried to put all the major ones in the list on here. For space reasons I avoided the ones that only do one minor change (like plants, or making stuff from glass) Let me know if I missed something.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:11:03 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Mod usage
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:09:59 pm »

I've dabbled in adding my own stuff, and I'm a big fan of Rysith's orcs.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 02:23:08 pm »

I don't use any of the other mods. Though they do look quite good. I did mess around with one or two but I mostly just use my own heavily custom DF.

Modding stuff myself is one of the reasons I enjoy DF so.

Nothing like the joy of seeing Orcs you put together yourself finally riding wyverns you also put together yourself into battle.  Yer still patting yourself on the back by the time the army of 50 wyvern-riders almost reaches your fortress.  Then it's a 360 emotional shift when you realize how ridiculously doomed the fortress is. 

"Yay! They work! ...And they are flying over the wall... and tore apart the crossbowers on the wall... oh spiffy, if the wyvern dies the rider falls to his death.  Oh my...half the melee army is paralyzed... and this is only the first group of riders...oh crap."
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »

Legendary Lands...it's simply the best mod what has been created so far..that is my subjective opinion at least.  :)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 03:27:34 pm »

Hi!

That's telepathy! Actually, I was wondering today whether I should make a poll about people using mods or not using mods - and here you have already made one :)

Anyhow, I answered "Vanilla" as I am an irregular, slow player, so the standard game is more than enough fun for me. Of course, in the current version, I had to do the fix for the cat bug, which is theoretically modding, but I still consider it "Vanilla".

Besides there being enough in the game for me as it is, another aspect for me is sharing: If I use a mod, anyone who wants to use my worlds or my fortresses needs to install the same mod. I figure that "Vanilla" is effectively the best compromise.

In addition, with mods, I am always worried about game stability. After all, this is a huge game, so messed up mods may immediately cause trouble or later on as things you believed in fail when tested.

Deathworks

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:45:48 pm »

I'm using a mod of my own that I've mentioned here and there from time to time (see: supersonic fire mantas, giant desert lobsters that can be harvested for flux). I'm considering releasing it to the public after the next release of DF, but there's a few things I've been mucking around with that may cause it to get put on the backburner for a while.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:47:44 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:47:09 pm »

I sometimes play vanilla, and sometimes play one or another of several mods of my own design, all of which can best be described as 'ongoing projects'.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:07:17 pm »

I play vanilla, but I've just recently started poking around the RAWs in a second copy of DF. Haven't even fixed the cat bug yet, been too busy trying to figure out how to make elves breedable, butcherable, and edible. Eventually, I'll do some modding, but I'm waiting it out until the next version.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:55:43 pm »

I typically play my personal modded version. I'm still working on it, to put it simply. =)

[EDIT:] To give an example of something in it: Elmo Demons. Sesame Street-inspired HFS in general, really.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:03:16 pm by Zaithemaster »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »

It really depends on my mood, but the majority of mods I play are works in progress suited to exactly the kind of game I want to play at that moment.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:48 pm »

Well, so far things have turned out about as I expected.

I am curious, though, for the people who do their own thing or a mix and match- what stuff do you focus on most? New races? Metals? Plants? Megabeasts?

I'm kind of curious to know what areas of the game get the most changes done to them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:47:32 pm »

I am curious, though, for the people who do their own thing or a mix and match- what stuff do you focus on most? New races? Metals? Plants? Megabeasts?

I'm kind of curious to know what areas of the game get the most changes done to them.

I've got Orcs, and some better minerals (ores that give 2/4 bars on average that appear inside basic ore features, for example). I have a few new creatures, such as hunting spiders (packs of above-ground GCS, basically). I've also got plantable trees that take two years to grow, and generally increased grow durations on all crops. No new megabeasts (unless you count orc leaders). I'm currently trying to get the orcs to ride the spiders (and war elephants), since that would make for awesome sieges, but I'm not sure if it is going to work.

So basically, some mods that increase available resources, and some other mods that increase the external pressure on the fortress. I want my fortresses to rise high and fall spectacularly, not cobble along until they self-destruct.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 03:43:03 pm »

One of the reasons I play is to tweak DF how I want it.

After I play a fort for a while, I end up with some grievances for how certain things work, so the next fort I make, I change the raws before genning to get things how I want them.

For example, after my last fort ended (just a quick glacier fort to experiment) I ended up changing microcline, orthoclase and alunite (and maybe a couple others) to CLUSTER_SMALL in an attempt to get rid of these huge, dumb looking blocks of annoying different color/stone. I also went and removed a bunch of cloths from my dwarfs entity files so wrestlers don't have anything other than armor to yank off.

I also mess with the reaction files on a regular basis, adding in things I think should be in game: IE glass beds, bins and barrels, for starters. Not much else, really :(

Then I also like taking other peoples work and adding it to my games. Like Rysiths Orcs mod and the Goblin Family mod + some other random tidbits I've acquired over time.

Half the fun of DF is modding it how I like it :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 04:28:03 pm »

I have a huge plant mod I made that adds a lot of DF-ified real-world plants and makes farming more difficult in winter
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still considering going through and lowering the yields on everything, too.

I also made all CLUSTERs into VEINs for no good reason other than convinience.

Then I made Kobolds and Goblins Adventurers. Lots of fun there.

And the one "pro" mod I use is the Small Stuff Mod- those extra taunts and prefstrings are awesome.

Oh, that's the last thing. I made Mountain Goats tame
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 04:35:30 pm »

I'm playing with goblins at the moment, as close to stock as playability allows.

I had to make them only active in one season so I don't get spammed with caravans, gave them a trade diplomat so I can request things, though he hasn't actually shown up yet, and caravan guards so they don't get slaughtered.  Made other races active in one season, and upped their progress triggers after I got janked by elves in the second spring.  Still did after tweaking, but I built traps this time.

I altered a couple weapons to make them usable, and renamed the boozes that come from underground plants to reflect that I'm playing with dwarves.  I usually do this no matter what, because I think it's weird that the universal name for a slew of drinks would be so civilization dependent.  One side effect of using near-stock goblins is that I can't farm, but can supplement my food with bones.  Never seen anyone choke yet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: [1] 2