Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minimum population for maximum features.  (Read 1412 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Minimum population for maximum features.
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:57:43 pm »

After I finish my current fort, I plan to start a new one with a much smaller max population so that dwarves seem less disposable, individual casualties are more significant, and so that the dwarves will seem to have more individual personality/history.

My question is: What's the smallest population cap I can have and still meet the requirements to trigger all available dangers? My reading of the wiki leads me to believe that a cap of 80 is what I'm looking for, but I'd like to get some confirmation before I get started. What will I be missing out on with a cap of 80? Is it at all possible to get sieges, and all other dangers, with a lower cap?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:00:01 pm by Raphite1 »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum population for maximum features.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:05:49 pm »

I believe that the minimum cap is actually 120 (to develop the Baron to the point where you can get the king).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:16 pm »

I don't normally use mods, but I understand the mods can bring sieges and megabeasts with a lower cap. I don't know if anyone has modded in a lower nobility population limit (it doesn't really make sense to do so, since presumably your immigration would have stopped), but that might be worth looking into.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:45:24 pm »

If you really need 120 for the King, I suppose I can live without him. I'd like to limit my changes to the game to what I can do quickly and manually in the init and raws, without needing extra downloads.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:47:11 pm »

DF is a pretty small download, especially without the music. Just copy your DF folder for the modded version so you don't have to undo anything.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 06:15:04 pm »

I don't normally use mods, but I understand the mods can bring sieges and megabeasts with a lower cap. I don't know if anyone has modded in a lower nobility population limit (it doesn't really make sense to do so, since presumably your immigration would have stopped), but that might be worth looking into.
Sieges are hard-coded, so mods can't touch 'em. Ditto for nobles. Fuck knows about whether there's a pop cap for megabeasts, though.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »

Sieges are hard-coded, so mods can't touch 'em. Ditto for nobles. Fuck knows about whether there's a pop cap for megabeasts, though.

I could have sworn some of the mods were giving sieges in the first year. Maybe just ambushes? Dunno. I was gonna try one with my next fort, so I'll see.

And megabeasts used to be 80, but that was back before a lot of the worldgen changes, so who knows now. They used to be pretty regular but I haven't seen one in 40d yet. My current fort is only at 71 after 12 years, so we'll see in about 2 years if they start showing up.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:57:43 pm »

Not sure if the text just hasn't been updated yet, but the init file still says 80 to get a king and 100 to enable all features.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:24 pm »

It is possible to adjust when seiges come.

In the entity default raw, in the part about goblins. you will see a spot that looks like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lower the numbers to make them intereact with you sooner, or higher for later. There are other things you can add or change to change how things interect with you. But I do think the goblins should seige you eventualy as long as you are in a position to attract their attention in the first place. I have to say, it tends to be somewhere around in the 60-80 population range when goblins start sending ambush parties.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 01:59:56 am »

Usually goblins will only siege you when you get the Baron. Civilizations with the baby snatcher tag will ambush you and siege you, even if you are not at war.

However it is perfectly possible to get them to siege you before you get the Baron. Remove the [BABY_SNATCHER] tag from their entity file, and replace the [INTELLIGENT] tag in their creature file with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]. This will cause them to be in a perpetual state of war with every other civilization. So they should siege you earlier, but it will be a human style siege, with a campfire. Also, they won't snatch babies anymore, and they might not last through worldgen.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:01:50 am by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 12:08:33 pm »

Usually goblins will only siege you when you get the Baron. Civilizations with the baby snatcher tag will ambush you and siege you, even if you are not at war.

However it is perfectly possible to get them to siege you before you get the Baron. Remove the [BABY_SNATCHER] tag from their entity file, and replace the [INTELLIGENT] tag in their creature file with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]. This will cause them to be in a perpetual state of war with every other civilization. So they should siege you earlier, but it will be a human style siege, with a campfire. Also, they won't snatch babies anymore, and they might not last through worldgen.
Err, it's perfectly possible to get them to siege you before you get the Baron even without pissing about with the entity file. Both have similar prerequisites, but they're not linked in any way, shape or form; getting a Baron before your first siege is nothing more than coincidence.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 12:26:25 pm »

According to the DF wiki page on sieges they don't come until you have 80 population. I didn't know exactly how it worked because i have never had that many dwarves.

Regardless the OP was wondering if it was possible to get sieges without getting 80 dwarves, and that is only possible by "pissing" about with the entity file.

Or, if he reaches 80 dwarves and then kills most of them he will keep getting sieges.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:34:15 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 01:09:10 pm »

I once had a queen in a fort with 30 dwarves.

That was... interesting.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 01:47:25 pm »

I once hit adamantine with my starting 7. King showed up in the first wave of immigrants a year later.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 02:13:28 pm »

Woah, i forgot about the adamantine king. Does anyone know if you get sieges with him?
Pages: [1] 2