Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Testing my defences  (Read 1579 times)

Joshua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Testing my defences
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:08 am »

I've been playing through my first fort with the help of the wiki and so far I've found it fairly easy (I think I started in an easy position). The most dangerous wild creatures around were a couple of cougars and otherwise just moghoppers and groundhogs and there is lots of soil for farms and water nearby. I think I’ve got a good grasp of the game now and was wondering if there was a way to ramp up the difficulty to truly put my fort to the test.

I'm now in my 10th year, I've got 200 dwarfs, I've made over 10 million in wealth, all my nobles, including the king, are ecstatic (even if they sometimes demand me to make Bismuth items... and no, floor-tiles won’t cut it). I've now got over 40 champions, most in exceptional/masterful full steel plate mail. I've killed well over 200 goblins and lost maybe 3 military dwarfs, my captain of the guard on his own has killed 43 goblins (he has the habit of getting to the goblins first and decimating them before the rest get there). I haven't bothered to build a moat as a hoard of 100 goblins can be held off with just my marksdwarves in the tower over the entrance (and probably by 3 of my champion hammerdwarfs). I was hoping they would get exponentially more difficult, but sadly the goblins aren’t getting any better.

I want to be able to really test my defences against some serious opponents. I've thought about getting the humans to siege me but that seems to take years of their caravans being killed off. Is there any easy way - modding/cheating - to get a large strong army at my doorstep and really test out my defences. A number of successive sieges each more terrifying then the next until I am finally destroyed would be perfect so as to give time for my dwarfs to go a bit insane, they are just so happy at the moment and this doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. If that’s impossible can you give me any hints as to how to really piss off the humans quickly?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Testing my defences
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:28:54 am »

Go into the RAW's.

Change the goblins to be faster(you can find the relevant tag on the elves), stronger(Larger size or raise the damblock by one or two) and smarter(I think you can set them to use steel armor and weapons, although this has been untested).

Other than modifying existing entries or making everybody angry with you, or even handicapping yourself, it is difficult to get them more difficult.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Joshua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:19:28 pm »

By changing the RAWs can I effect this current game? I read a warning somewhere that RAWs changing can make exhisting games unplayable...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:19:41 pm »

In the RAWs there are entries for entities, of which new ones cannot be creates and existing ones cannot be deleted. However, the tags on said entities can be changed for the most part with no problems. Like making reactions require no fuel, or make all cats have a temperature output of the sun. Adding a new cat(Lets call it catA), however, will mess everything up.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Joshua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »

Oh no, my evil plot to kill the humans has been foiled... I dug a pit under the trade depo ready to be filled with water, then collapsed the ground underneath, but most of the humans survived with the aid of their magic floating wagons!.. grrr.
And yes the wagons are completely on and surrounded by empty space but for some reason they won't fall.
Any quick and easy way to get the humans angry, can you mess around with the saves or something?

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:14:19 pm »

Well, if you can change their ethics mid game and have it take effect that would be one way. Though I'm not sure of what to set it to to cause them to go to war easier, but this would have the side effect of likely causing them to be at war with you in every game.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:18:21 pm »

Build a ballista and shoot the wagon.

Also, ethics changes require a new worldgen. 

What requires world gen:
Additions other than body parts
Modification to the entity profiles.
Renaming an already existing creature entry (not the [NAME] tag but the [CREATURE:x] tag).

What does not require world gen:
Modification of anything other than entities (civs)
Addition of body parts.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Homez

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I think there's a Titan under my bed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:37:13 am »

If shooting the wagon with a ballista does not work, try building a bridge in the path to your depot. When the wagons are on the bridge, raise/retract it. This will make their wagons explode.

Aside from the lols, you will also get whatever was in their wagons, and I am pretty sure this pisses them off.

Also, if you want to get really into it, you could build a flood chamber.  :o
What better way to keep a fortress clean than to make it out of soap?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:08:35 am »

Station your military dwarves within the fortress proper's halls, scattered in groups of 2 (or alone). Then allow goblins entry. It'll be a wild and furious melee through blood-stained halls, with the additional chaos of terrifies civilians running in terror along with your scattered troops battling it out against seemingly overwhelming odds.

I do this to cull my population.

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 12:09:08 pm »

Well if you are whilling to mod the game I supposed you dont mind learning about some spoilers either. Go to the dwarven wiki and search "pit" if you dont, one of the entries will interest you.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:40:12 pm »

This is your first fort and you've gotten that far? Nice. I abandoned my first forts about 5 times because I kept discovering new things that I either messed up or couldn't do on the map I had.

Modding tougher creatures is your best bet as many have said already. Aside from something that your map might not even have, managing the sanity of your dwarves will pose a much bigger challenge then goblins or any other vanilla sieger ever will.

Joshua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 07:40:14 am »

manored -
I'm not in a mountain region so I don't think I'll ever find the pit. Maybe beggining players should be encouraged to think about starting in mountain regions, with appropriate warnings - it would have been fun, but I was encouraged to start in an easy area. I don't think I'll dedecade the large amount of time nessisary for a new game until a few updates have come.

I tryed the balista thing, it killed a few humans, didn't touch the wagons and was taking an awfully long time. I eventually dealt with the wagons by carving out the earth on top of them and caveing it in. They all fell into my flooded pit below... a couple of my dwarves, a baby and the miner fell down with them. The couple were (coincidentally) married and the wife had a baby with her. They all avoided the water, she died on impact, the baby was magled and miserable, but the husband  was only mildly brused and remained  ecstatic!
- Olin Morulozkak has been ecstatic lately. He has lost a spouse to tragedy recently. (oh and he viewed a nice road, has a nice room etc.)

So he just fallen down a hole, seen his wife killed, his baby is lying on the floor magled and he walks away whistling a merry tune, and not helping his baby at all. That is really messed up.

The miner fell in the water, badly injured but somehow managed swim to safety and the humans are still drowning, its taking a long time...

Oh and a lot of masterpieces were destroyed but their creators still seem awfully cheerful.

I've heard turning the snatcher option off can greatly increase the occurances of goblin sieges (hopefully this works mid game) so I might try that with a few performance enhances. It looks like it might take some time to piss the humans off.

Thanks guys for the tips, if things still remain easy I might try azralel4h's idea, but I get the feeling that even a couple of my champion solidiers could wreak havok on a squad of goblins.

Joshua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 07:53:09 am »

the craziest thing... I think my human prisoners will die of thirst before they die of drowning. How ironic. Water, water everywhere...

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:55 am »

If you want insanity, deface the hell out of your dining hall with magma.
With the entire fort in the military just outside and everyone's pets/family/masterwork items inside.
I guarantee fun! and a couple dozen berserker champions
If you want extra fortress death fun, ORC MOD.

Joshua

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:25 am »

A Titan just attacked my fortress, my first megabeast. Zosto Orbsavants the Permanent Ancient. Aha, I thought, a worthy opponent at last, this should put my champions to the test.
Not having ever faced one before I initially bunkered down and the Titan went around killing Donkeys, but then by trader, Vabok, one of my initial group, walks directly towards him seemingly wishing to "Attend a Meeting" with him... I don't like the sound of this so... right, I'm sending in the troops to save his arse. Finally their moment of glory has arrived! The Captain of the guard "Ducim Arrowsnake the National Bastion", Champion hammerdwarf and killer of 43 goblins, is the first on the scene. I prepare for a battle of legendary proportions.
On his second swing Ducim flings the massive titan over 20 squares, and yes, it is very dead. Ducim is untouched.... so much for a worthy adversary, not so "Permanent" after all. I kinda think Ducim maybe could hold off 200 goblins without breaking a sweat.

- Emperor
Sorry, no magma. Maybe cave it in?
Orc mod requires a restart, maybe later but now I just don't have the time (my frame rate is pretty poor, there has been a lot of leaving it to do it's thing while I do something else).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:19:23 am by Joshua »
Pages: [1] 2