Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what actual cpu is best for df?  (Read 1512 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what actual cpu is best for df?
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:20:22 pm »

do we have any comparsons aviable?
im asking becaus i consider to get a new board.
df performance wuld be a important feature for me. sadly, these incompetent reviewers never do df benchmarks %)
especialy i wuld love to see how df performs on i7 or phenoms. do we have some sort of comparsons anywhere?

thanks in advance

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:22:26 pm by motorbitch »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
Re: what actual cpu is best for df?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:34 pm »

I don't think DF is set up to use any multi-core processors yet.

I can't really give you any valid comparisons, as until this computer, I have only ever used AMD processors; from the old K6 to a 3.1ghz Athalon dual core in my last rig. This comp has an Intel Dual core, but it's a laptop and not as fast as it could be.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:04:59 pm »

Intel brought iirc some new 2.8 GHZ quadcores with an decent bus tact short time ago.

Get 1 for your windows stuff and let the other 3 run a virtual Machine simulating an 8GHZ Singlecore chip.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:19:26 pm »

If your talking about FPS its a graphics card you need.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:31:31 am »

If your talking about FPS its a graphics card you need.

Not really. Once you've got a decent GPU, the CPU becomes the bottleneck fairly fast.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:19:55 am »

actualy if i am correct the more important characteristic is what one proccessor can do for DF (becouse it don't use more) but if you have an at least Dual core it can still help becouse you can put DF-s process to one and the rest (like OS) on the other ... and some OpenGL functianilities are alredy multi thread (and openGL is used in DF) so it can help even more ... but the most important is what one processor can do ... the bigger is evidentaly better, memory is used too but i think it shoulden't be a problem (considered how cheap it is you will like to put as much of it in your computer as possible anyway ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:13 am »

Raw clock rates aren't going to tell the whole story.  On the whole, you are almost certainly better off getting a dual/quad core.

Also, we already have a DF CPU thread on the first page of this board: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30557.0

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:28:40 am »

i know that multicores dont help to much. atm my cpu is running at 2.6 ghz.
i guess my new one wuld clock somwhere around 3.6 - 4 ghz.
plus, it wuld have much more cache and ... stuff.
but im askin myself, if cache  and stuff wuld help at all, or if it is a plain clockrate thing.
ie: wuld a i7 @ 3 ghz be faster in df than a p4 @ 3 ghz?

Also, we already have a DF CPU thread on the first page of this board: http://www.bay12games.com/forum
upsi

Get 1 for your windows stuff and let the other 3 run a virtual Machine simulating an 8GHZ Singlecore chip.
now that sounds interesting.
what os / vm wuld i need to do this?

btw, i guess it wuld be a good thing if we had some sort of benchmark run for df.
we wuld need:
a starting position that culd be reproduced in future df versions
a benchmark programm (maby fraps culd do this)
some help from the comunity to post results.
of cause, best wuld be some sort of wrapper that culd start df, load the benchmark  location and run it for a specific time to have comparable results.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:30:37 am »

Again, there is MUCH more to consider than clock speed.

a P4 can have higher clock speed than a Core2, but the Core2 can still do more stuff per clock cycle.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:31:58 am »

I'd say get a dual core with decently powerful cores, or at least one decent core. Thus anything else you might be running(DF wiki, idle processes, etc) won't slow down the core running DF.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DarkSim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 05:32:16 am »

ie: wuld a i7 @ 3 ghz be faster in df than a p4 @ 3 ghz?

Having made this comparison in computer science just two days ago I can tell you that after vigorous number crunching any given core on a 2GHz i7 should on average run at the 'equivalent' speed of a 5.3GHz P4 (assuming the program is not threaded and HT is not enabled on the P4 - it would make the calculation ridiculously hard. Another assumption was that most cycles are devoted to arithmetic operations.)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »

Highest available model of i7, cooled with liquid helium until superconductive, and overclocked to 10ghz.

Might want to bump your system bus up by about 3 or 4 hundred percent, too.

Snark aside, multicores are a good choice, especially if you don't mind messing with the affinity of the processes running in order to give DF an entire core all to itself.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »

I'd say get a dual core with decently powerful cores,
hm, i think i got that already ^^

atm, im on a c2d @2.66 ghz (no ht) with 2gb ram. the problem is, as its a verry early 65 nm c2d, my sys is maxed out with 2 gigs of ram and i cant fit a 45nm cpu in.

therefore, i consider to get a new board.

in the end i think that df will benefit from plain ghz most, albeit i have no proof.
i just think its  these many , many, many small calculations for the pathfinding, themps and wather. for all i know ( and thats few enugh) the old intel p4 netburst architecture with ht seems to be pretty good for this. but as there are no more p4 (and i dont want to get a p4) i guess i will save some more money to get a i7. these achive verry high clockrates with oc and have ht. not to mention i7 boards can run 24 gb ram (theoreticaly with 6 upcomming 4 gb modules), and 3x2 gb are already almost affordable (like 100€ for standard ddr3/1033, 140€ for verry fast ddr3/1600 7cl modules). problem are the boards for the i7... entry 180€, real good ones about 250€ - 320€
so in the end this wuld be about 700€, awful lots of money. the board allone wuld cost as much as a cheap rig.
as sayed... these are just mindgames, but hell... i build a i7 for a family member recently, and that system just rocks.

(edited because my english sucks)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:03:58 pm by motorbitch »