Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood related modding questions  (Read 907 times)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wood related modding questions
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:49:40 pm »

Just recently started toying around with modding, and I was wondering if there is a way to adjust how much you get from woodcutting. Like having different trees give different amounts of wood, also related to wood is have a way to make trees have a 3rd stage of life, from sapling, to tree, to say large tree, kinda like what can be done with creatures, with similar effects.

Also can you adjust how much wood or stone is needed to make objects? As to me it seems should be able to get more of some objects from a single tree, this way would be an alternate way to accomplish the above, or used in conjuction with the above to even things out.

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
Re: Wood related modding questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:11:45 pm »

I don't think this is possible with conventional modding, at least not the way you're describing it.

Chances are you'd be able to do some bastardized version of this with smelter reactions, but you'll feel dirty afterwards.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:16:38 pm »

most of the things in which you can change the amount of material they require will be made of metal anyways.

Trees do not have life-cycles that can be modded in the raws, and cannot really be changed beyond being made heavier and lighter and other 'cosmetic' things. People who make trees that grow on farms have sort of a bastardised-tree-life-cycle thing going onwhich may suit your purposes. (you could even add percentages to the smelter reaction there for randomly getting an extra log) I don't use it mself. I agree with Dhargk about it "Feeling dirty".
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:45 pm »

The main reason I was looking at this is older trees generaly are larger, and also think of how big those barrels, bins, and other misc things made from wood would have to be to warrent using a whole tree. After all most of the wood crafts could be done using a branch.

The idea behind this would be to actualy give a reason to work with the elfs, as people might be more willing to go along with the lumber cap, if each tree didn't just give 1 wood, as you can usualy get more wood out of an older tree, and not to mention some trees are better supplies of wood.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:09:57 pm »

Work with the sandaled hippies?!   Blasphemy!   Magma+Hippies=Too much fun.