Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No. 1 reason why i love DF  (Read 2245 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
No. 1 reason why i love DF
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:04:57 pm »

Apart from the fact that the gameplay is second to none, the randomly generated names are what truly make this game great. I just had a bowyer go fey and i was hoping for some epic crossbow when he started demanding some gems and other cool stuff, i was so determined to get the artifact  I had to kill a dwarven caravan that was leaving my depot just to get some turtles to eat and get their shells. I was bloody pissed off when it turned out to be a blowgun, however the fact that the artefact had an image related to the rising of the giant desert scorpian "Wheelslapped" made me laugh so damned hard, all the annoying micro management was worth it.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: No. 1 reason why i love DF
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:56:32 pm »

I like how i can design all sorts of devious traps and torture devices, and a especially love how my foes blood smears everywhere.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:27 am »

I love being able to plan out complex defenses, and raise top notch Crossbow squads, only to notice the Dwarf-made river you made for defense freezes in winter, and a goblin seige charges in and kills half your population. Good times.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 02:13:11 am »

Simple...  when other games bore me, DF is the one I keep coming back to.   ;D
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Pojodan

• Bay Watcher
  • !!fire!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:48:30 am »

Because in DF, the simplest of problems have the most ridiculously complex solutions.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:22:21 am »

I had a champion with the title of something like "The Ultimate Indignation" once, poor guy
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:08:50 am »

Even better than the silly names in general, I like the names of deities because they're actually designed to fit the deity's spheres of influence. So they're silly AND fitting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:11:18 am »

Because in DF, the simplest of problems have the most ridiculously complex solutions.
Most of said problems have simple solutions. We just like using the complex ones.

Why I like this game: We the players actually seek out ways to ruin everything in a glorious manner.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:12:44 am »

Simple...  when other games bore me, DF is the one I keep coming back to.   ;D

Eheh, yeah this sounds very familiar to me... ;D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:25:55 am »

Even better than the silly names in general, I like the names of deities because they're actually designed to fit the deity's spheres of influence. So they're silly AND fitting.

Wait, really?  I haven't looked at deity names much but I assumed they just used the SELECT_SYMBOL stuff rather than directly taking spheres into account.  It would be surprising if there was a link from the spheres to stuff in the raws, e.g. words.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:33:37 pm »

Why I like this game: We the players actually seek out ways to ruin everything in a glorious manner.
that is remarkabley true :)
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Bourbon8787

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 09:08:41 pm »

I only got into DF about a month and a half ago (I've only slept an average of 3 1/2 hours a night) so I am still getting a hang of the basics, but when I can build a 15 story tower hinged to collapse into a volcano with the pull of a simple lever, all else fails in comparison.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 03:23:42 am »

PULL ZE LEVER!!

Heh.

Also, the freedom to create, and destroy, in grand scope and detail.

A bridge need not be just a bridge, or a selection from a drop-down menu - I can select the types of stone I want, plan the layout, intigrate custom defencive works, retractable grates and sections. It is not just a bridge, it is my bridge, built to my design, with rock quarried from halfway across the map and ten levels down, paved with gold brick and lined with skull totems, crossing a z-level over a stream filled with murderous carp.

That's not even scratching the surface - my god, does this game have depth, and no small measure of character all it's own.  :o

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 03:43:09 am »

The versatility - A bridge need not be just a bridge, it can (from what I've read, I'm still a newb) also be one kick-ass goblin crushing machine.

That, and the fact that it's a one-man-show (apart from all of us) that's regularly updated. Go ToadyOne!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 03:45:43 am »

I tried to build a bridge once that was an interlocking series of drawbridges, rigged to a depth-dependant series of pressure plates and some water so that the bridges would lower one by one to grant entrance into the fortress.

I can't wait until architectural weight-support comes back in full so I can make the bridge from Shadow of the Colossus.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2