Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worldgen cliffs  (Read 5333 times)

Mordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mordae
Re: Worldgen cliffs
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:25 pm »

My fortress is next to a volcano inside a 37 z-level extremely steep mountain with a 5 level cliff in the bottom.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 03:45:32 pm »

Hi!

Sergius: Well, for this search, there are actually two interesting views:

One is the color-coded height-map indicating the relative height of the terrain.

The other is the height difference map you mentioned, ranging from '0' (I think) to '9' and then '*' for "you got to be kidding".

Picking locations with the extreme height differences (8+), you should usually get at least some real cliff faces. And if you don't insist on having a specific terrain type, I think they are not that rare (in MEDIUM or larger maps at least), as I said before - you just need to search really thoroughly through the map.

Deathworks

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 09:57:07 pm »

Yeah, good cliffs do tend to be rather rare. I got lucky finding the one I linked earlier.

Though another feature to look for if you want to have fun with cliffs are chasms.Especialy with large elevation differences right on the chasm. Though a chasm does add some other things to worry about to the map, but might be useful in the great cliff hunt.

Along with rivers, also look for lakes nestled up close to mountains. They also promote rampless cliffs.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 07:23:24 am »

There are some things that never seem to be mentioned in these cliff threads. You don't have to confine yourself within the limits for world gen parameters given by the game. Just edit world_gen.txt manually in your init folder and you can pump elevation variance above 1800.
Remember, variances are absolute values that don't take into account the size of the world. 800 variance for a small world will create more variation than that same 800 for a large world. I personally, for this reason, use 129x129 or smaller sizes for my worlds.
Beyond creating cliffs with rivers like described above, you can create cliffs with extreme elevation variations. The largest ones being where oceans and mountains meet. Of course this doesn't happen with normal vanilla maps, but edited maps with at least about 5000 elevation variance will produce mountains next to oceans and that will create enormous cliffs near the base with the ocean beach working as the base. I've seen cliffs that extend 10+ z-levels made like this.
High elevation variance will produce cliffs at normal mountain bases as well, but that is much rarer and usually not nearly as impressive. Try this world_gen.txt entry:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its a quick and dirty parameter set that will create a world with the most potential cliff sites, look for cliffs near rivers and where the mountains meet the oceans, especially where the peaks and high mountains meet oceans. It's just for show here, if you want to create a proper world for playing, go over the parameters, put more civilizations in and turn on the bells and whistles again.

Beyond this there are a few tricks for finding good places where the map can easily terraformed to create plateaus cut off by cliffs, like requested in this topic, in-game. One place to look is near river conjunctions. Sometimes when a river joins another from a height it'll cut off a piece high elevation land that will be now cut off from the rest of the terrain and land of the same elevation by at least two sides by rivers. The slopes at the other side can be easily dug out and, voila, you have a plateau to build a fortress on.
It should look something like this fortress from an older version of DF.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:25:32 am by Xehon »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 03:02:36 pm »

When I increase elevation variance to over 2000-3000 or so, I start getting rejects in things that I told it not to reject.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 06:21:49 pm »

I remember seeing a map with NOTHING BUT 9+ CLIFFS ON THE EMBARK SCREEN. And I'm pretty new, (inside the last update).  It had a volcano and a river (which was strangely running out of the volcano)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »

I remember seeing a map with NOTHING BUT 9+ CLIFFS ON THE EMBARK SCREEN. And I'm pretty new, (inside the last update).  It had a volcano and a river (which was strangely running out of the volcano)

Methinks that volcano was having an identity crisis.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »

When I increase elevation variance to over 2000-3000 or so, I start getting rejects in things that I told it not to reject.
Gen parameters please? I'm sure its just a mix up or some other human error. I get 3000+ variance worlds genned without problems. Are you sure you didn't rise minimum or maximum elevation? If you'd give me the parameters, I could check whats wrong.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 09:56:13 pm »

Something I just stumbled on is magma pipes can cause some rather interesting cliffs as well. As found a 5z-level sheer cliff area that looks similar to Pac-man, located right above a hidden magma pipe. Though since this is in a DF folder I am toying round with modding in, wont be able to really share it.

As the game can create a sheer wall all the way up from the magma pipe, even if the pipe is hidden underground. So there is something else to keep in mind when looking for those elusive sheer cliffs. Look for magma pipes on tiles with steep cliffs, and an in an area with changing relative elevation. As they can result in odd cliffs.
Pages: 1 [2]