Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Language magic, or Yet Another Long Magic Rant  (Read 9209 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Language magic, or Yet Another Long Magic Rant
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2009, 08:13:07 pm »

True names? Have been reading Eragon?

Seriously, come on, do we need a rant about every single opinion/angle/approach/etc of magic.

Fix'd

Another question. Or maybe more than one.
Will there be stats for everyone other than Strength, Agility and Toughness. Maybe Magic Power, Mana, and Magical Endurance(how long they can keep up the spell). But can someone please answer my last post? Im still a little bit confused about this. Maybe they, if they know the words, can start growing things, except it grows faster. Together they could make large amounts of plants.

What spells? Anything? Or stuff like Sever, which cuts off body parts, Fear, makes them run away, Gouge, which pierces body parts. Can you do, lets say, Make Trap, which makes a trap, or No Exert, which temp makes a dwarf non exertable.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:25:43 pm by Org »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2009, 08:32:49 pm »

Apart from modern popculture the idea of truenames was used in demonology between the 14th and the 17th Century. The idea was mostly used by Jews and christian Theologists.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2009, 08:56:14 pm »

True names? Have been reading Eragon?

Seriously, come on, do we need a rant about every single opinion/angle/approach/etc of magic.

Fix'd

Another question. Or maybe more than one.
Will there be stats for everyone other than Strength, Agility and Toughness. Maybe Magic Power, Mana, and Magical Endurance(how long they can keep up the spell). But can someone please answer my last post? Im still a little bit confused about this. Maybe they, if they know the words, can start growing things, except it grows faster. Together they could make large amounts of plants.

What spells? Anything? Or stuff like Sever, which cuts off body parts, Fear, makes them run away, Gouge, which pierces body parts. Can you do, lets say, Make Trap, which makes a trap, or No Exert, which temp makes a dwarf non exertable.
True names are in Earthsea too, so you want Force, Will, and Catalysts?

Force is strength.
Will is endurance, and basic energy.
And Mana is the catalyst.

I know a few things about the magics that are thrown around here, there is technological magic ( Artificers, Alchemists ) , Taint Magic ( Demons ) , Nature Magic ( Elves ) , Graphical Magic ( Glyphs ) .
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:59:52 pm by Foa »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2009, 09:38:46 pm »

So, spells will be random?

While it would be fun to use the 'Bend Sword' spell or even the 'Use Enemy Sword to Hit Him' spell, wouldn't it be hilarious to use 'Turn Head to Butter' spell. I would laugh, even if I miscast, and turned my mage's head to butter.

So, buffing would be nice, maybe temp. extra strength, although could be bad if miscast.

Urist McMagicdwarf cancels give Urist McLegendaryguard extra strength:miscast.
Urist McMagicdwarf casts 'Pierce' on Urist McLegendaryguard's head.
Urist McLegendaryguard has been struck down!

Would there be miscasts? I think that would be fair, and maybe fun. What about moods?

Urist McMagicdwarf cancels float item to stockpile: has been taken by a magical mood!
A vile force has arrived!
Urist McMagicdwarf cast 'Tornado' upon the incoming goblins.

Gobbo McLegendarybowgobbo has been sucked up by Tornado!
He has been shot out!
He hits an obstacle!
He explodes in gore!
Gobbo McLegendarybowgobbo has been struck down!

That would be cool.

FoboslC

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »

Some of you may have noticed - language files conatains words: "anus" and "rape".

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2009, 06:53:13 am »

A mage is trying to cast some spells

Urist McMagicdwarf casts 'Rape'
Eshtan has been raped.

Later

Congratulations, Eshtan has given birth.

LULZ

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2009, 02:24:31 pm »

We're already getting a new set of attributes, folks.

--and yes the fact that there are words in the languages for things that don't exist in game is something of an issue. Plus, this could take DF from a game where people occasionally have disturbing names, to a game with numerous disturbing themes.

I don't really want to see that happen.

Also, bear in mind that getting useful wizards in a fortress is pretty unlikely. You strike the earth by the sweat of your brow, at the moment, and there are significant elements who would like to see  that emphasized, rather than reduced.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:23 pm »

You wouldn't have to have every word in the bank available for casting. It had occured to me there might be various potentially unsavory actions available, but seeing as the official DF does not have anuses, or actual sex for that matter, those words would do nothing until some modder put them in and made the associations to the relevant part in the 'anus' script, assuming it'd actually be scripting and not hardcode.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:23 pm »

It would be nice if, eventually, things got moved out to external raws and scripts, so that players are free to add in whatever sorts of magical perversions they personally desire. However, even just a hard coded version, would be nice.

We're still going to have to wait years to see any of this, but it'd be worth it to get to play with this even one month sooner, especially since we'll have all those other arcs to use it on, by then.

You will be unable to turn heads into butter, until there is a butter material. Will you settle for turning heads into liquid cheese?
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2009, 04:45:46 pm »

Yes or potash. Something stupid and of no use.

So about my other posts. Would your idea involve moods?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2009, 10:32:11 pm »

It could. I sort of have this idea of whispers of words of arcane power from the fey-folk in the ears of dwarves, allowing them to inscribe a strange, incomprehensible and nearly unrememberable runespell on a blade sculpted like clay using magic then "quenched" in magma. It would serve the fey's mysterious purposes in due time, perhaps good, perhaps evil, but in the mean time it would function with powers for the wielder.

Unless they were possessed, they might retain a few of the words in memory, depending on how smart they were, which would simulate the current skill gain with something much more mystical. If they retained the necessary words to change metal so that it hardened like clay (with heat), they could produce metal items without a forge so long as they had magma, and with the much more precise tools of a potter instead of a metalworker.

A dwarf with this sort of power would not want to share; dwarves are too fame and legend oriented. Any dwarf worth its beard would defend that secret to his grave, only muttering the words under his breath while none else are near. In addition, the fey could threaten him or his bloodline with a curse in order to convince the dwarf not to part with his words.

There are other types of artifacts, but you get the idea. Something like this could also explain how elves can make their weapons out of wood so easily, and in such profusion. This kind of gives me the idea that certain words might be much weaker when spoken by non-sphere-aligned races.

And speaking of muttering words under breath, I wonder how well that would work. It might be a little bit distorted, just by the virtue of not quite being enunciated properly. It could alter or weaken, even pervert its power - a truth spell muttered in secret might not be so reliable. There could be a certain random chance that the word you chose might instead take on the effects of another word with the same sphere(s).

Because the magic here would be spoken, certain spells might only function if the target can actually -hear- them. Specifically I'm thinking spells that affect the mental state or general internal constitution of the target; these are more like curses than not. Shouted spells might suffer similar issues as whispered ones - it's hard to yell certain sounds of speech louder than when they're spoken normally.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2009, 02:17:33 pm »

Maybe to become a wizard the player must kill a wizard or other magical being and 'eat' its magic essence? Or maybe the player could become an aprentice to the wizard and do quests for them and every few quests they get rewarded with a spell word, this would give a reason to do quests rather than go on a murderous rampage (unless that is the quest) and give a reason to be 'good'.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2009, 05:37:20 pm »

I like that idea in theory.  Not sure it's the best general solution, but it'd still be awesome to support that...

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2009, 08:05:08 pm »

Pargon Pargon Tier Chutigna Pargon

Indeed I like this idea. If we could combine it with a sanity system, magic flows (or winds of watever) an engraving system I would like this. However, like someone said it could be seen as too restrictive or formulaic, or cheep (seriously if you have enough magic power to pull a 17 word long spell sentence out your ass then you probable deserve it.)
I could see this becoming a programing problem with word combos becoming too complex for rational people. However that is why you use randomizers. Let the game decide what a particular word means in this world, attach spheres too it and then proceed to extrapolate out possible effects of the most likely combinations. Then comes the real fun as player characters and NPCs try to figure out what each word means without blowing themselves and the local landscape to hell, or summoning an elder god, or going mad, or drowning in pudding, or turning into a butterfly...
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2009, 08:58:43 pm »

Pargon Pargon Tier Chutigna Pargon

Chut'turga?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9