Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Language magic, or Yet Another Long Magic Rant  (Read 9193 times)

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Language magic, or Yet Another Long Magic Rant
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:40 pm »

I believe the inital system should be somewhat simplified.  Even adding a new job "Study Arcane" at a study room.  Where a dwarf with innate arcane ability (or just any dwarf, and make arcane a learn-able skill) can start research ways to discover words and form them into spells (after the words go through some form of "mangler", similar to how english -> dwarf translation works for fortress name).
The spell would have two parts, a simple label to quickly identify spell's ability, and a second part showing a rough translation of the full spell incantation.
The spell would show up in a list of spell available now in your fortress (and maybe as a scroll in a stockpile).
Incantation should be simplified somewhat to include...

Source (sphere/deity), Source Specifier (specific effect of sphere), Action, and Target.
And each of the above can have a prefix similar item quality.

Examples:
Spell 1
Name: Wrath of Karsari against Enemy
Incant: I call forth Karsari's wrath to strike down my enemy.
Source = Karsari, a deity
Specifier = Wrath, any Karsari's arsenal
Action = Strike Down, attempt to kill/injure
Target = Enemy, any enemy of caster, may target just another dwarf (that the caster dislike) within range (randomly targets).
Possible effect: Say Karsari's sphere is fire and plague, any one target within range that satisfy as an enemy of caster may get burned or diseased, depending on caster's closeness to Karsari.

Spell 2
Name: Fire of Karsari on enemy Goblins
Incant: I call forth Karsari's fire to incinerate my goblin foes.
or
Incant: I summon forth Karsari, god of flame, to burn my goblin foes.
Possible effect: Set several goblin enemies within caster's range on fire, randomly chosen.  Number and strength depends on closeness of caster to the deity Karsari.

Spell 3
Name: Plague of Karsari on my friends
Incant: I call forth Karsari's plague to sicken my friends.
Possible effect: Er... make the caster's friends within range sick.

Spell 4
Name: Gift of Anari
Incant: I ask for Anari to grant me a gift.
Possible effect: (Say Anari is a goddess of pregnancy and food).  Either a stack food of random size gets dropped near the casting dwarf or a random dwarf with caster's range (even the caster) will get pregnant.

Other possible effect is to give a group of military dwarves extra damblock for a while.  Cause enemy's weapon to melt.  Or on a much larger side, cause a torrential rain that generates 1/7 on any tile the raindrop hits (with a lot more rain drops).

Of course, the player should be able discard a spell from a list (and dump/destroy the scroll).  And all spell will have a "review" period that allow you to discard extremely devastating spell against your own dwarves.

Casting Spells:
Spell can be cast on battlefield, but I generally don't like that kind of combat spell-casting (kind of weird standing there casting spell while goblins of shooting at you), plus it might be difficult getting your dwarf to "guard" the spell caster.  I like spell that are relatively complex and require extensive preparation.
I want to be able to construct a altar/arcane circle.  To cast spell you can queue up a task at the altar cast a specific spell.  Where an arcane dwarf will go there and start preparation and incantation (speed depends and success rate depends on skill of the dwarf).  A spell may "fail" if a dwarf is unskilled.  A large chance is that failure would do nothing.  But a small chance could be that a failure causes 1 or more word within a spell of change randomly (Instead of flame against one goblin, flame against several dwarves), or simply damage the caster.

In essence, I imagine a spelldwarf in an altar deep underground.  Tracing/carving runes into the floor.  Chanting incantations to set many goblins on the surface on fire.

Enchanting:
Dwarves should be more of an enchantment race.  And the spell above can be applied directly to the weapon/armor.  Of course, the effective target should be reduced to either the target being attacked, the dwarf themselves, target attacking dwarf, and those close to the dwarf.  And the effect weakened to prevent them from being overpowering.

Variations:
Spell can be written into scrolls, requiring a dye and cloth (paper if its ever included).  Or a tablet with stone.  A requirement to cast the spell can be the possession of such scroll/tablet.  The scroll/tablet can either be used repeatedly (combat-type spelldwarf) or consumed (altar, large scale casting).  The "construction" of such an object should take a significant amount of time (maybe only 1~8 per year, even with highly skilled dwarf), maybe taking into account the power of the spell. 
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2009, 10:37:25 am »

I was thinking for adventure mode, also it wouldn't be over powered because you have to earn the words by doing quests, this would add more quests to the game, where as now it is just kill so and so and get nothing in return.
Also it would be easy to code, just have a file which contains all spell words and their apropriet code/effect:
BURN:
[SPHERE:FIRE]
[CODE:SetTemp(GetMaxTemp);]

So the spell Burn Goblin would see the target as Goblin and the action as Burn so Goblin.Burn, pseudo code:

Target = Goblin;
Action = SetTemp(GetMaxTemp);
Target.Action;
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2009, 04:10:48 pm »

I don't ever see dwarves as the magician-y type, only enchanting. As such, should not a metalsmith with a high skill in magic be able to directly skip the enchanting process by enchanting a weapon while he or she forges it? That would be a powerful enough means of magic, and far simpler than all of the proposals here, so far as coding goes. It'd be another quality modifier that affects weapon damage and armor protection and furniture value. It'd also be easy to move over to masonry, or carpentry, or gemwork. I'd say gems and metal should be the stuff really good at holding magic, mainly steel. copper, and more valueable gems.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2009, 06:05:40 pm »

Yeah I was thinking more Humans for laguage spells, Dwarves for runes, Elves for gestures and Goblins for ritual magic.

Aslo you wouldn't incant like: I call forth the wrath of so and so on my enemies, because it would be to hard to implement code wise, it would be: Summon Karsari To Goblin Head which would summon Karsari on the goblin's head, Karsari would be reall pissed casue of the summoning without his permission that he would go mad and kill everything near him before going back to where he came from.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2009, 07:12:17 pm »

Yeah I was thinking more Humans for laguage spells, Dwarves for runes, Elves for gestures and Goblins for ritual magic.

Aslo you wouldn't incant like: I call forth the wrath of so and so on my enemies, because it would be to hard to implement code wise, it would be: Summon Karsari To Goblin Head which would summon Karsari on the goblin's head, Karsari would be reall pissed casue of the summoning without his permission that he would go mad and kill everything near him before going back to where he came from.
Good point.
So, maybe dwarf should have ability to construct magical traps (trap of setting stuff on it on fire).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »

Maybe have a new job: discover spell words? The dwarf randomly says  magic words in hope to finding one that works and its effects also translating into english and writing it down so you can select it for a trap. I would line my word discoverer's workshop's room with bauxite and seal it, just in case.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »

And then blows his head up by saying random words.

I can see it now. His apprentice is at his funeral:

"Well, Urist was a good man. He was also very stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]