Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underwater Forts Chat, and some questions i have  (Read 2810 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater Forts Chat, and some questions i have
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:24:05 pm »

I'm working on a underwater fort. Has anyone else here made a successful underwater fort? Could you show me it so i can see what you did? Or is it uploaded on DF Map Archive?

The way i'm building mine is completely all from Green Glass. Everything will be built from the Glass Windows and Glass Blocks or any other glass materials. But i will mix the insides up with different stone made doors and furniture and such.

I'm building it in the ground first, then i'm going to remove the ground from it, and flood it with water from a river. Then it will be a nice glass fortress underwater :)

So well i was wondering if anyone could help me upload this to the DF Map Archive.

The DF Map Compressor programs needs .NET 2.0 to run. I however do not use .NET for personal reasons.

So i was wondering if there was anyone around who i could send my game too, and have them Compress the map for me so i can upload it?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help.

Also another thing i would like to ask, does anyone have any information on building underwater fortresses. Or know of any Maps uploaded to the DF Map Archive you have a link too?

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Forts Chat, and some questions i have
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:26:43 pm »

If you want to create an artificial lake, you can certainly do that, to great effect.

However, if you decide to make an ocean-bound fortress, do so with no windows. Sharks or undead sharks might smash them in and completely compromise your fort.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:31:42 pm »

If you want to create an artificial lake, you can certainly do that, to great effect.

However, if you decide to make an ocean-bound fortress, do so with no windows. Sharks or undead sharks might smash them in and completely compromise your fort.

Yeah that's what i'm doing making a artifical lake.

I assume you had some experience with ocean forts eh? If i get bored after working on this map, i may try making a ocean fort.

The sharks will really break the glass windows? :(

That would be a challenge hehe, setting it up so that if something like that does happen, setup floodgates at all windows, then pressure plates which activate the flood gates if the water level becomes 1 or more. Doubt it will work heh, if the water pressure is too bad it may not too well.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »

Well, I've done a fort that was constructed by digging straight down through a river, but I'm not sure if that counts.

Anyway... Windows can be broken by some creatures, and all undead creatures... as well as tantrumming dwarves. So adding those is pretty much putting a gun to your head unless you embark in a non-evil zone and keep all your dwarves happy.

As far as artificial lakes go, if you're using a square tileset (as you ought to), try using this circle template set to make a good round lake.

DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 06:07:27 pm »

Maybe make a grand citadel rising out of the lake?

Nah... thats just my "Imagination" going again.
Sounds to me though, that a ocean bound fort with zombie sharks and whales would be a great challenge. You might want to have more than one "Main Walkway" though, seeing as the possibility for a window to crash in on one of the upper levels is a real threat.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 06:14:06 pm »

Sounds to me though, that a ocean bound fort with zombie sharks and whales would be a great challenge. You might want to have more than one "Main Walkway" though, seeing as the possibility for a window to crash in on one of the upper levels is a real threat.

Yeah a ocean citadel would be a great challange. I may do that. But i want to finsh off my underwater river fort first.

The ocean fort, every window you make, you need to have a flood gate(which wont be blocked by objects), to close off sections of your fort incase fo a breach.

There is also the thought i just has, if bars or grates worked correctly, we could bar up every window so that undead or sharks cannot break the windows.... God only knows if that will work :)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:18:03 pm »

There is also the thought i just has, if bars or grates worked correctly, we could bar up every window so that undead or sharks cannot break the windows.... God only knows if that will work :)
Oh kewl! Kind of like this:
----
X+II  <--------Shark goes here... *Clonk*
----
X=window
II=bars
-=wall
+=floor

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:23:30 pm »

Yeah :)

Just like that, but id rather the bars be attached to the windows or right next to them, save a bit of space, just incase your limited.

Be a nice idea for toady to implement. Well mainly he needs to get creature sizes working with bars and grates. But im sure hes got it planned and will get too it. We just gotta work with what he gives us for now :D

If you can, or i will at some point, go test out your ocean fort, and setup bars and windows, and see if the sharks / undead will get through the bars and hit the windows. Put bars right next too, and a tile away from windows. See what happens?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »

My bet is that the shark also destroys the bars and the whole fort dies.
+3 dollars!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 01:13:45 am »

I created a very small underwater fort by mining out a frozen lake once, as a sort of proof of concept. It worked OK, though for half the year it was an under-ice fort.

I started making a grand, multi-level dwarven rapture but I got sick of setting up pumps to drain the ocean so I could build walls to build the city so  abandoned it.

Now I just walled in my entrance so there is no way in or out and use the power of my imagination to pretend it's underwater - way easier.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 04:59:59 am »

My first attempt at an underwater fortress was built inside a circular chasm, covering the floor and adding hatches to drain it quickly.  The bottom floor inside the fort itself had grates to deal with flooding.
Winter came and destroyed the hatches, so that kinda failed.  My next underwater chasm-fortress has the drains tucked safely away in the walls.  Then I accidentally widened the channel filling the chasm without thinking of the floodgates I had installed.
My third attempt worked fine, though.  I even filled the water surrounding it with stuff caught from the cave river.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:42 am »

I had an idea for an underwater fort, made of glass... under an aquifer under a glacier. I got bored, though, because part of my plan was to mine out everything under the aquifer then tap into it to create the sub-glacial lake.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:43:49 am »

I just finished an underlake fortress. The DFMA is here.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:51:41 am »

I want to work on a domed undersea fortress but I cannot find enough z-levels with the right distribution of land.

For uploading maps without .NET, I recommend the java tool. It has less features but can convert the maps.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 08:51:07 am »

with the right distribution of land.

Easy, just mine everything flat, make a mold for your fortress made of bauxite walls, fill 'er up with magma, and start pumping in the water!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: [1] 2