Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: leatherworker's log of sorts  (Read 1823 times)

aelystur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
leatherworker's log of sorts
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:40:28 am »

my most recent fortress, I kept running out of wood, so to curb my use I ordered every kind of leather under the sun..  unfortunately I didnt have much use for leather at the moment (was unprepared for goblins that took out 4 of my founders and a couple slaves.) so to free up some bin, I had my current for leader/ manager set with only leatherwroking and sew leather image on the mounds of cloths I had produced(slaves take care of all the mundane tasks.) when looking for stuff to toss at the merchants I decided to check out the images on the clothes in one of the clothes bins.  what first caught my attention was that on one of them was an image of 3 dwarves. (coincidentally I have only 3 founding members left) as I went through the stack of clothing in the bin I noticed it can almost be read like a log of what happened in the fort. apparently  Cag  has been bothered by the presence of the flies, and misses the mountains. not sure what the square would be about. also depicted was Cog's assention to leadership, and the death of one of the dwarves i sacrificed in an attempt to rid myself of a golbin archer in my "air lock". it was actually kind of neat to read / interperate.

edit: >.>  so thats where it went .. I could have sworn I put this in dwarf mode discussion
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:27:55 am by aelystur »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: leatherworker's log of sorts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:23:52 pm »

Yes, yes you should.

Yes, most engravings/images are based off of DF world events.
Just look at Boatmurdered.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:03:32 am »

Yeah. Just yersterday i looked through my current fortress's engravings. There was 2 next to eachother that had my expedition leader surrounded by dragons in 1, and him embracing a dragon in the other. I looked at the leader's profile, and it said he likes dragons. Man, what DOESNT get engraved in DF?

EDIT: oh BTW, the guy who did the engraving wasnt the expedition leader.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:16:54 am »

Yeah. Just yersterday i looked through my current fortress's engravings. There was 2 next to eachother that had my expedition leader surrounded by dragons in 1, and him embracing a dragon in the other. I looked at the leader's profile, and it said he likes dragons. Man, what DOESNT get engraved in DF?

EDIT: oh BTW, the guy who did the engraving wasnt the expedition leader.
See, that was propoganda graffitti from a dude who wanted to get elected mayor next time -
 This Dragon Lover doens't have your best interests at heart! Vote Bomrek for Mayor!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »

There must be code that makes crafters consider not just using their own preferences, but the preferences of leaders or loved ones. I think your dragon engraver was buying some political favor.
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:37:36 pm »

It's also possible to get dwarfs to engrave what they dislike on anything encrustable/engravable.

"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:11:48 am »

It's also possible to get dwarfs to engrave what they dislike on anything encrustable/engravable.

and dwarves will hate rooms that have engravings of things they dislike. imagine an engraver waking up to see a masterful purring maggot engraving of his. 'why did i engrave that? that's not nice at all!'
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?