Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dangersound - A community fortress  (Read 3992 times)

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dangersound - A community fortress
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:54 pm »

Can I join? Please could I have somebody in the next immigration wave or any wave following that? I'm quite patient.

Name: Kyrist if female, Cyrist if male.
Preferred Profession: Something military, preferrably Marksdwarf but Hammerdwarf would be cool too. If not that, anything military or a miner would do :P
Gender: Preferrably female (I myself may be male but still...;))

Thank you in advance :D

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »

Could i join? I'l put someone in for one of the imigration waves,
name him Barrack.
Professions: Something military, Marksdwarf and Swordsdwarf are prefered.
Gender preference: Male
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 04:19:36 pm »

In the spring of year 10, the outpost Dangersound was founded by a misfit group hoping for a better life away from the brutal nobility they had come to know back in The Misty Ships. This is their story:

Kate, Mook, Amos, Phoebos, Zigzag, Neo, and Tesla arrived at the edge of the valley. Tired from their journey none of them wanted to start working right away. Yet, they knew they must, if for nothing else, to escape the Giant Eagle that was soaring overhead. Everyone was ordered to dig. After the primary area was dug out they gave up their picks to clear their rooms of rocks. Zigzag braved the outdoors for the wood they would need shortly. After all of their supplies were safely inside they began work on the farming. Kate would take the sweet pods made and make sweet, sweet dwarven syrup. Mook then prepared the syrup into meals. Thanks to her work the dwarven caravan was quite profitable. The outpost was booming.

Looking toward the future Kate ordered the construction of many rooms varying from the meager to the extravagant. The end use of all these rooms was unknown to all but Kate, who refused to give out the full design of the second level. The mining was being done only by Mook and Kate. The others were ordered to look after the upper level.

During this time love was in the air. Couples formed quickly, as before the first winter had even hit Mook and Amos were getting together. Neo and Tesla found love during the cold winter nights. As did Kate and Phoebos. The only one left out of this year of love was Zigzag.

The first year had ended, and they had survived. The last thing anyone wanted to see were the elves that arrived that spring. Kate begrudgingly met with the caravan. Then not so begrudgingly ordered the seizing of all worthwhile goods. The elves ran off in a huff, but moral was boosted to see the stuffy elves go. And as the elves left, on the horizon some new arrivals could be seen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There it is, the first entry. I'm trying a non first person account this time, mainly because it's more difficult to account for knowledge, and death of the narrator would makes for awkward changes. =)

Thanks to those who have started filling the migrant population, we do still have plenty of slots open, so please feel free to grab one.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:24:11 pm by Kate Wissen »
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 04:55:33 pm »

Name: Kelly
Profession:Most Important Dwarf in the Fort (Or Brewer if you prefer)

Description. An ample dwarf who chose their profession not simply because of the fruits of the labor but the proximity to others fruits as well.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 05:43:20 pm »

The only one left out of this year of love was Zigzag.

Poor Zigzag, nobody loves him...

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 06:55:43 pm »

The migration brought twenty new dwarves. Some skilled, most not in any useful profession. The newcomers were assigned the task of clearing out their own rooms. One dwarf named Kelly brought a cat with her. Not two days after arriving at the outpost, she became possessed by an unknown force, claiming the nearest craftsdwarf workshop. During this time the cat was locked up in an attempt to stop it from dragging messes around. There was too much work to be done without a cat adding to it. When Kelly snapped out of her trance she held a new chalk drum:

A human caravan arrived soon thereafter, and with it came the goblin menace. The invaders were discovered by an unfortunate peasant, Cog Ceilingpraises. Many a dwarf were ready and willing to face the monsters head on, but were ordered back. No need to risk a dwarven life if the humans are already poised to face off against them. The battle was one-sided, as the humans slaughtered the smaller less experienced goblin force.

Trading went well again for the dwarves, getting much more out of the deal than they put in. Kate did not order any goods seized as the humans had proved themselves as worthwhile. Unfortunately the original attack was just a feint more goblins were waiting. Neo was unfortunately the one to find this group. Two goblin wrestlers, two pikemen and an axeman ambushed him. He didn't stand a chance against them. Getting a few shots off he wounded the goblins chasing a few to the humans in the trade depot, but was struck down before he finished any of them off. The humans, once again, took down the goblin force. The losses this summer were felt hardest by Tesla, who buried her lover that day.

The humans were still resting in the trade depot when we heard another group of migrants coming to the still mourning town of Dangersound...

------------------------------------------------------------

There's the second report, sorry Neo. Unlucky break. There are plenty of other dwarves so feel free to ask for another. =)

BTIRepresentative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 07:02:10 pm »

I request one.

Name: BTI Investor
Job: Any
Description: BTI shares interests in outposts across the globe. BTI, wave of the future.
BTI values all of it's employees. BTI, wave of the future.

(warning: being a BTI employee is the equivalent of dying by fire, slowly.)

Have a nice day!

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 07:25:06 pm »

Dearest Diary, I never had much concern over stone but something about this place struck something inside me, I'd never had much love for anything but a good drink and my little cuddlekisses. Now look at me, proud owner of a drum! Made of Chalk no less! Yes I do believe this vacation is turning out just grand.

XoXo

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 08:22:12 pm »

I would not mind a dwarf.
Preferably a female, Kyterra for the name, if only male's available Kyrel for name. As to what professions to do, leatherworking primarly, with tanning, if no other dwarf is set up for butchering that can be added as well. Later on will become a spear dwarf that only uses leather equipment, will use a buckler for a sheild to make it easier on equipment management.

Please import some of the more exotic leathers, such as the giant varieties or sea creatures, if don't need more important items. And heres crossing my fingers on making an artifact leather armor.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 10:45:13 pm »

Fewer immigrants this time around. All put to work immediately. The work is routine until the second dwarven caravan arrives. The woodcutters Zigzag and Inod both spot a group of goblins. The wrestlers were no problem for the two axe wielding dwarves, but the crossbow goblins get a few shots off wounding the two dwarves. Inod, charges through the wrestlers and attacks the crossbowmen. The goblins flee, and the two go to their rooms to rest and recover.

Mook, who has been doing the cooking for the past few months, is suddenly possessed! Mook took up the mason workshop and begun working. When he is finished he finds he has made a magnetite cabinet.

------------------------------------------------------

Another season comes to a close, another member of the first 7 gets attacked. Luckily for Zigzag there was another person there to help out. Unfortunately the other woodcutter got all the kills.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »

Awesome, Mook actually made a furniture artifact.  Too bad it was a possession instead of a fey mood.  In any case, more dorf bucks for Dangersound!

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 11:20:32 pm »

Dearest Diary,
   Oh poo. All anyone talks about anymore is Mook's new cabinet. How beautiful it is, how magnificent how actually useful. No one even comes around and pretends you can hear anything from banging on a rock drum any more. At least mr. cuddlekisses still wuvs me. Yes he does, yes he does.

p.s. I wonder if they expect me to keep making these stupid crafts or if I can go back to making wine again.
p.p.s. Not that I'm not just incredibly amazing at it or anything but there's no fun in testing a trinket before it's done and you can't swipe a biscuit from the cook when he's not looking if you leave chalk dust everywhere you go.

Legendarily yours Diary,
Kelly.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 02:45:24 am »

I'll take another dwarf but this time a swordsdwarf named Neosen.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

FoboslC

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 02:48:42 am »

Thats all? Nothing, nothing, absolutely NOTHING intresting happened?
I demand fortress pics!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 03:25:50 am »

This does seem to be going a little fast. We're already a nearly to the 2nd year in and only really had a handful of story paragraphs.

I suggest trying to slow down a bit, and give more info and screenshots. What are all the named dwarves doing, what do the major constructions look like, are they finished, where are the different craftwork areas, or living quarters in the fortress, etc etc.

Don't really want to tell you how to write, but I for one am wondering what my dwarf is doing, other than getting ready to make baby dwarflings with mook x.x
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?
Pages: 1 [2] 3