Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All Creatures As Powers  (Read 643 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
All Creatures As Powers
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:28:43 pm »

This mod, which technically isn't my first but is the first I'll release, takes every standard creature and makes it a power, each with a few (hopefully) sensible sphere(s) associated with them. Every sphere is covered at least once. I did this because I wanted a more totem-like religion for my lumani (wolf-furry things) race, but I liked it so much that I gave every default power in my own game [ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] and all sphere tags (included in a handy-dandy file in the zip).

This is more involved than it may first appear. For instance, in early testing, I discovered that vermin as powers make the game crash, as they have no body but they're still marked as opponents (I believe). As such, vermin powers get a very basic body.

Prodigious and clever use of find/replace made this mod - it would have been impossibly tedious without, as many tags had to be added/removed/changed. Stuff like aquatic powers not drowning immediately upon an adventure entering the map, and creatures with no default attack getting at least a smite attack (actually all of them do) so that they stand a chance during worldgen against the other powers. As such, the creature file is a bloody mess, with fragments of numbers and closing braces scattered everywhere, but it works fine, as far as I've tested.

I give full permission for anyone to use this mod in their own work. Note that this mod does nothing on its own - you have to add the sphere tags and [USE_ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] as the religion type to entries in entity_default.txt for it to work.

If you use this, let me know if there are any bugs and I'll try my best to update things.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=824
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: All Creatures As Powers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:05:04 pm »

Hmm... I like the idea.
And good testing work on the vermin thing.
I'm working hard on my hodgepodge mod, and once I get the whole "weapons for every skill" thing done testing, I'll probably work on fitting this in. I like the idea of a carp coming to be worshipped by the stupid animalmen living along the riverside.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: All Creatures As Powers
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »

Why just have "stupid animalmen" worship the carp? It would be a wise dwarf indeed who submits to the power of the carp.

I really like the concept too. I'll test this out later. =D
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.