Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF performance....  (Read 1220 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF performance....
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:57:46 pm »

Has anyone figured out if DF prefers a given CPU architecture or if it simply like cycles?

I ask because I am seriously thinking of upgrading my desktop and am debating about which architecture to go with.  For reference I tend to play DF on my laptop (2 Ghz Core 2 Duo), and other games on my desktop(due to graphics).  My desktop CPU and motherboard are old enough that any CPU made in the last 2 years will be a significant performance upgrade.

I would like to have a better CPU in my desktop than my laptop(so I can abuse DF more).  The only other constraint is the less money spent the better.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: DF performance....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:00:53 pm »

2 Ghz should be enough for DF from past expirience. The more the better, and cores don't make much a difference to DF. However, if you plan to do anything else it would be wise to get multiple cores. Heck, you might want to get multiple cores for DF so non-DF processes don't take up the core that is running DF.

I hope this make sense and doesn't betray my ignorance to these things.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:13:12 pm »

Newer processors are more effective clock for clock, so looking into a Core 2 Duo ought'a be the best.

Something like this would be the way to go for a cheap but powerful balancing act.

DavesWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:48:55 am »

DF is an oddity; not programmed to use multiple cores.  So if you're upgrading, and you're a serious DF freak, you should buy the fastest single core you can.  For just about anything else you do with your computer though, a modern multicore is the way to go.

I hear there're ways to setup a multicore to emulate a singlecore, but I dunno how and can't link to instructions.  Something about a virtual core that has less total power than the multicore chip itself has, but programs treat it like a single.

I'm really holding out for DF optimizations, and presumably eventually multi threading.  The game is fun, but it slows way way down once a fortress starts getting interesting.  I kinda don't want to upgrade with a single core just for DF.

I'm curious; what does Toady program on?  What chip?  Because DF is a beast, and more stuff keeps getting added with each dev log.  So it just has me mega wondering what he runs it on.
I'm not proud of it, but we've run out of coffins
 - Robocorn, at the fortress of Battlefailed -

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:45:20 pm »

DF is an oddity; not programmed to use multiple cores.  So if you're upgrading, and you're a serious DF freak, you should buy the fastest single core you can.  For just about anything else you do with your computer though, a modern multicore is the way to go.

Not entirely true-- For DF Dual core with the fastest possible cores has the upside that DF will 100% saturate one core, and the rest of the processes / services / apps can live on the second core (if your OS is sane about these things). A quad core with 4 slower cores will throttle DF performance, but so will DF hammering an uber-fast single core in so far as DF might not yield the CPU to things it actually needs to talk to. (Albeit, DF doesn't talk to much other than your GL implementation as far as I can tell...)

The one thing that never gets mentioned here is the need for a bus that is fast (and has low latency) and for memory that is fast (and low latency). Look at DFs memory consumption-- Most of that isn't cached pixmaps and models, it's data. That data has to get to and from the CPU. A fast bus with fast memory (and little latency) is also essential.

You also need 'enough memory', say 1 GB or so free after you get to you desktop with a browser open, and any videocard with a modern GPU should do. I'm using a passively cooled ATI/AMD current generation discrete card... (No good open drivers yet, boo.)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:21 pm »

Has anyone figured out if DF prefers a given CPU architecture or if it simply like cycles?
Both.
IIRC, It's optimized for a Pentium III.
Thus, any Intel chip will probably outperform an AMD.

It does eat up cycles like you've never seen either way, though.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »

Newer processors are more effective clock for clock, so looking into a Core 2 Duo ought'a be the best.

Yeah, the OP is looking for a Core2 processor indeed. Those are the best for playing with DF right now. My suggestion to the OP:
Buy an E8400 or E8600 processor. Those are excellent, not to mention, that it's easy to OC them, if you have a quality cooler.  :)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »

Yeah, the OP is looking for a Core2 processor indeed. Those are the best for playing with DF right now. My suggestion to the OP:
Buy an E8400 or E8600 processor. Those are excellent, not to mention, that it's easy to OC them, if you have a quality cooler.  :)
If you're going to go Core 2 Duo + Overclock, E8600 all the way.  It uses new stepping system, basically people have got it up to 5odd GHz on a fan cooler.
It's truly amazing.
If I could figure out why mine won't overclock, I'd have mine up to at least 3.9...
At 3.4 right now.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:29:33 am »

Yeah jay, the E8600 is the best atm, especially if we talk about OCing....it's weird that your processor won't work above 3.4Ghz. Perhaps the problem is the cooling.