Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Dwarven Week  (Read 3055 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
The Dwarven Week
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:31:46 am »

What are the names of the Dwarven Days of the Week? Tahin and I have come up with these, but we're hoping for official canon, or at least Forum WMGing:

Minday (Miner's Day), Craftday (Crafter's Day), Tradesday (Trading Day), Hulday (Hauling-day), Forday (Forge Day), Aleday (First weekend day), Sunderday (Day of Sundering)

Also, does the world of DF have a special name for the moon(s)? We're using "Ilon" (that's got an umulet or whatever it's called over the I), as that's the dwarven word.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Week
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:43:32 am »

I really like Ilon for the Moon, but the days of the week could use some work. I'd like to see what Toady and/or Threetoe have to say about it, personally.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:44:27 am »

Cogsday, breakday (Pronounced brek), Kingsday, Ursday (Urist's day), Aleday, Parday, Resday. :D Parday falls on our saturady, can you guess why.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 03:17:40 am »

Toadday One, Toadday Two, Toadday Three, Toadday Four, Toadday Five, Toadday Six, Toadday Seven

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:19:41 am »

Keep in mind that weeks are a completely artificial construct.

There's absolutely no reason why there even need to be seven days per week, but I guess it's convenient.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:20:19 am »

Beersday, Alesday, Rumsday, Winesday, Brewsday.  Only five days, so weekends come even more often.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:29:24 am »

Keep in mind that weeks are a completely artificial construct.

There's absolutely no reason why there even need to be seven days per week, but I guess it's convenient.

The only reason 7-day weeks work nicely is because every month in DF has 28 days, and 7*4=28, which means everything lines up really nicely.

Also, a 5-day workweek with a 2-day weekend is pretty standard in western culture.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 04:51:44 am »

The only reason 7-day weeks work nicely is because every month in DF has 28 days, and 7*4=28, which means everything lines up really nicely.

Even further, these are the two closest factors of 28, which fits well with the dwarven constructive aesthetic.

Also, a 5-day workweek with a 2-day weekend is pretty standard in western culture.

This is not at all a good qualifier.  Then again, there's no other reason to have twelve months, but it does beg the question why Toady only made them 28 days long.

Anyway, dwarves already name their months after materials, vaguely relating colors to the weather of each month.  Maybe they would name the days of the week after weapons?  Urist, Bomrek, Lokum, Libash, Nil, Dastot, Zasit, Og.  One too many perhaps, and oddly there's no word for "mace".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:13 am »

Don't forget Cog.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:59:27 am »

Even further, these are the two closest factors of 28, which fits well with the dwarven constructive aesthetic.

This is not at all a good qualifier.  Then again, there's no other reason to have twelve months, but it does beg the question why Toady only made them 28 days long.

Anyway, dwarves already name their months after materials, vaguely relating colors to the weather of each month.  Maybe they would name the days of the week after weapons?  Urist, Bomrek, Lokum, Libash, Nil, Dastot, Zasit, Og.  One too many perhaps, and oddly there's no word for "mace".

A month originally came from the cycles of the moon, which is closer to 28 days than 30.5. 12 months gets close to 365 days (13 28 day months IS 364 days, we know) and divides into seasons nicely. Seasons are caused by climate.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 11:01:00 am »

The dwarven week has two days.  KillingElvesDay, and ChasmingElfCrapDay.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 11:29:57 am »

Don't forget Cog.

Cog is Shoe if memory serves.

Also, it is weird that there is no word for Mace in dwarf.  Must be an oversight on Toady's part.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 11:31:50 am »

A month originally came from the cycles of the moon, which is closer to 28 days than 30.5. 12 months gets close to 365 days (13 28 day months IS 364 days, we know) and divides into seasons nicely. Seasons are caused by climate.
^What he said, fortunately the dwarven world seems to have a year which coincides closely with the lunar months since they don't end up with the season rotation that used to happen before the invention of the modern calendar.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:57:01 am »

Days of the week are based (loosely) on Months, which are based (also loosely) on lunar cycles.  (years are based either on lunar cycles or solar cycles, depending on your culture.)

Pedantry aside:
Do we want to tie ourselves down to 1 moon with a 28 day cycle divided into 4 parts?

Why do dwarves care about lunar or solar cycles anyway?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 12:35:22 pm »

Pedantry aside:
Do we want to tie ourselves down to 1 moon with a 28 day cycle divided into 4 parts?

Why do dwarves care about lunar or solar cycles anyway?
-Three Toe stories tend to refer to only one moon, and Adv. mode refers to whether or not "The Moon" is out. That said, I suspect that in the future, the number of moons/seasons will vary.

-I've wondered that myself- why do dwarves care about the moon? But looking at the stories, it seems that canon dwarves aren't wholly subterranean beings, and actually spend quite some time up top.

That doesn't explain why underground fungus is more sensitive to seasonal changes than surface plants.

Though come to think of it, perhaps they are photosensitive to extremely high wavelength radiation. This radiation comes from the sun and penetrates rock, but during winter the bulk of the planet is shielding the plants, and they get too little "sunlight" to grow.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2 3