Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Dwarven Week  (Read 3044 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Week
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 12:33:12 pm »

Nodalod.
Sounds a lot like nod a lot. Which makes me think of an English castle inhabited by nodding knights.

Kiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 07:03:48 pm »

"I think I'm going to go with that for the MUD"

*snorts and wakes up*  what? What?  A Dwarf Fortress MUD?
GENERATION -22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

"Someone normal walks down the streets of Seattle and passes the train station, when with a sudden roar a mob appears, bursting out the station doors, crying "Hail Armok! Hail Today One! Hail Dwarf Fortress!" And the city of Seattle shall know true fear. " -PTTG?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 07:20:24 pm »

"I think I'm going to go with that for the MUD"

*snorts and wakes up*  what? What?  A Dwarf Fortress MUD?

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22768.0

Its been up for a while.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »

Though come to think of it, perhaps they are photosensitive to extremely high wavelength radiation. This radiation comes from the sun and penetrates rock, but during winter the bulk of the planet is shielding the plants, and they get too little "sunlight" to grow.
NO.  Fungus are not plants; they do not photosynthesize.  Fungus get all their nutrients from decomposed materials they grow in; que mud.  Mud is wet dirt, and dirt is just dead material broken into really tiny pieces and mixed with minerals.  Underground farming of fungus is thermodynamically sound, assuming there is a good irrigation system set up using a river that is in some way connected to the surface.  And fungus grows quickly, which would also help.

Anyway, dwarven week.  Don't why seven day weeks are so popular, but everyone seems to have used them in the world, kind of like dragon legends.  But regardless, for the 28 day months in DF, 7 day weeks sound good.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 07:27:41 pm »

The DFMUD died a while back, but Tahin happens to be a 17-th level Necromancer.

The New DFMUD (dfmud.no-ip.org 1050) is using a much better engine and is, importantly, alive and well, though it is still under development. Currently it uses the demo world for the engine, but Tahin, myself, and anybody else who drops by, are working on the new world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 11:54:22 pm »

It's far from complete. I still need to write a shitload of code, and half of it I have no idea how the fuck I'm going to do it, but I'll get it done.

But yeah, there's a MUD. At least there will be.

Oh, and the old one wasn't a MUD, it was a MUX, which is hugely different.

The only reason I'm using a MUD engine is because I don't feel like writing a combat system from scratch, and I'd probably end up rewriting the digging and crafting systems anyway.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:55:58 pm by Tahin »

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 01:46:25 am »

That's really cool.  What is a good MUD client to use these days?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 06:11:46 pm »

Check the thread. There are a few, there.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 08:24:56 am »

Keep in mind that weeks are a completely artificial construct.

There's absolutely no reason why there even need to be seven days per week, but I guess it's convenient.
Seven days are in a week because there are seven planets (ok six+sun) see-able from earth withouth any help.
If interested Here

Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 10:00:07 am »

Keep in mind that weeks are a completely artificial construct.

There's absolutely no reason why there even need to be seven days per week, but I guess it's convenient.
Seven days are in a week because there are seven planets (ok six+sun) see-able from earth withouth any help.
If interested Here

Interesting fact:  That is why the seven days creation story in the bible has seven days.  Many people think it is the other way around.  However, that is due to the misconception that the creation stories were written by the Christian/Jewish God.  They were actually written by Moses as a means of converting people to the religion.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3]