Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Succession Challenge!  (Read 778 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succession Challenge!
« on: February 02, 2009, 12:16:33 am »

I had an idea for a game to start up and run, and was wondering what people thought.

For those of you who haven't checked out my community fort, Zasrimtar, is a limited resource glass fortress with no magma or stone. Set in a world that has fallen into a close orbit around the sun, producing extra high temperatures, and a severe lack of resources(the world was generated with seeds to produce many tropical zones).

How this relates to this particular game is that part of the rules will be to not pierce an aquifer, and build as much as you can with glass.

I would choose a site from the Zasrimtar world and upload a rar of my whole DF folder with the succession game save in it. It would then have all the settings I use for Zasrimtar, as well as my graphics, and the cat stockpile fix allready set up for you.

I would start the game if I get 3 people wanting to play. A turn will be one year, and the limit on the game will be 10 years. You would all take your turn at the same time, with me being judge. After each year, I'd have you email/upload your save, post a story/log of the year, and I would award a point amount based on several criteria similar to the succession wars idea. (total building, highest skills, the most fish, etc etc. if people show interest I'll run down a whole list along with the rules before we start.)

After the last turn and 10 years game time, the total points would be added up, and the winner will be announced. And if they like, I will give them a special spot in my community fort, and at least one post all about the character's story. It would also be possible if people are still interested in having the winner of the last game, become the judge for the next one. :)

So what do people think?
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:38 am »

How would you deal with a lack of fuel, unless you expect there to be a hobajillion trees there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:27:33 am »

How would you deal with a lack of fuel, unless you expect there to be a hobajillion trees there.

I wouldn't, those playing would have to deal with it. That's part of the challenge, wood will be your gold, and you have to manage it as much as you can to keep building. I don't expect this to be easy, but as I've had fun with Zas, I think the challenge is interesting enough and different enough to be fun.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:42:21 am »

As a side note if anyone gets scared of trying a fort with no fuel, there will be many 'challenge' point awards that don't involve using fuel. Such as the largest amount of prepared fish meals, or the largest plant stockpile, the most dwarves, the highest population, the most kills, the largest occupied catacomb(dead in tombs). etc.

Like the tomb challenge, there will be points awarded for failed things as well. Such as flooding a level completely, or the largest elf ear trophy collection, the most tantruming dwarves, the most entertaining fail, the most needed reclaims(only one reclaim allowed per 2 years) etc etc.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:02:33 am »

the most dwarves, the highest population,

Are those not the same thing?

This sounds cool, and I'd participate if I hadn't had such a horrible experience trying to get the my last attempt at succession fort participation to make it through a year without crashing.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:32:31 pm »

I guess there's no interest in this at all?

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 06:45:53 pm »

I guess I could give it a shot. I have attempted such a fort once, but the clothing industry quickly grew boring.

However, I'll give it a go.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 07:02:24 pm »

well that's one, if we can get a couple more, I'll make it happen. :)