Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Writing Workshop!  (Read 19515 times)

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Workshop!
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 03:51:24 am »

OK. I've finished my story. It's 1673 words.

EDIT: Split it into parts because of the character limit.

Superconductors and Virii part 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:09:35 am by Martian »

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2009, 04:06:04 am »

Superconductors and Virii part 2

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2009, 03:48:12 pm »

I don't think its 1673 words - I'm pretty sure there is a 40 thousand character limit.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 09:14:45 pm »

... I'm not sure I'll be able to meet my one week deadline. I've got a massive headache after playing Cave Story for 6 hours straight. Damn thats a good game. Anyway, if I don't churn something out today, I'll have written something by tomorrow, then all I gotta do is type it up and post it.

EDIT:
...Well I finished Cave Story - in the credits however, it mentioned a 'Red Demon, which only true heroes fight' or something along those lines. I never saw him, which tells me I missed something. Back on topic, I'm starting to write now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:44:11 pm by deadlycairn »

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 09:50:42 pm »

Oh no, another of these threads. Maybe I can dig up some short story somewhere to finish and stick up here...

Little: An interesting story, but the first thing that nagged me was its tense. 'He fumbles a book of matches out of his pocket, dropping the can of gas.' is present. 'He looked up, and the glass glinted.' is past. Pick one or the other.

Side rant: Present tense is becoming a cliche. It was edgy back when Snow Crash came out, but now that everyone* uses it the charm is fleeting.

Continuing on, 'and' implies that the two clauses are related and happened in order. "I slammed him in the face and slit his throat as he fell" makes sense, "I built a steam-powered calculator in my fort and Barack Obama was elected" does not. The glass does not glint because Jason looked at it, he happens to see it because it does.

'(which, unbeknownst to Jason, contained a large cylinder filled with roughly five hundred galleons of heating oil)' If we are following the perspective of Jason, why do we get to know thing he doesn't? If the detail is intended as a surprise, why is it here? If it isn't relevant at all, why is it anywhere?

IMPORTANT SIDE RANT: If a detail doesn't help the story, don't include it. The best way to accomplish this is not to add details that don't.

'Cataclysmic explosion'. Adverbs in general. It's hard to do, but it is far far better to have the reader draw the conclusions you want them to rather than dealing them out. Ernest Hemmingway was the master of this, check out The Old Man and the Sea or one of his other works for how to write an entire Pulitzer Prize novella using 'slowly' and (I think) 'steadily' as the only adverbs.

Last lines: I was confused at bit about this, too. Again, it could be a little clearer. Is the reader to understand this is supposed to be the influence of some mysterious telepathic arson thing? If so, I would suggest one of two things:

A) Make it more clear that this influence isn't natural.
B) Set up the story as a mystery as to why an ordinary citizen would start burning down buildings, and fully reveal the arson monster at the end. I know, some how, this can be done without the reader guessing the secret right away, but I can't think exactly how right now...

But in any case, I enjoyed it. Keep up writing.

Impending doom: The passive tense often appears in your writing. The use of it can make your story stilted and clumsy. Sometimes the drama of sentences is lost. This can be corrected. The active voice is better.

Also, is this a finished story? You mentioned unfinished stories above, is this one of them? As it is, the story ends at an odd moment.

The box is too obvious. You mention it at the end of segment and put special attention on it. Why should the reader doubt at all that you intend for it to be a plot point later? If you want for it to be a surprise, you must hide it first.

Anyway, I'm going to stop my critique now, as I have a headache and it's late at night. Keep writing. I'll read the other stories tomorrow.

FINAL SIDE RANT APPROACHES:

Any of you planning a career in writing, or just planning to get any done: Take note. You need to say to yourself 'I'm going to write n hours today'. N can be 1, 2, 4, 0.3, whatever, it's too easy to not work up the effort for a deadline a week away. If you're planning on writing a book (which I did) there's no other way to finish it in a reasonable timeframe.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:29:19 pm by Gigalith »
Check out my books at O and H Books

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 11:46:48 pm »

Here's hoping nothing goes screwy with the formatting.

Just a short 567 word affair. Been a while since I wrote like this. I've done a quick once over for spelling/grammatical errors, but stuff like faulty tenses will probably have eluded me. Oh, and you'll probably realise what thread I got the idea from by the end. Cookie to first person to name it!

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2009, 12:06:17 am »

Wow.. Deadly, that realy was a joy to read, I must say. Very intresting, a surprising ending, I would never have guessed. Alittle on the short side for my taste, but still great.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:45 am »

Short is good. I like short. Just not too short.

And I remember a thread recently where somebody mentioned something should be radioactive. Can't actually remember what it was, though, so no cookie for me. Good thing I'm not the Cookie Monster.

But yeah. Good read. =D
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 12:25:26 am »

I'm waiting for someone to tell me something's wrong - not that I'm complaining about the praise, of course.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:40 am »

Uh.. It didnt have enough mummies. Going into this, thats what I thought it would be about. I was slightly disapointed.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:35 am »

My only critique would be that it's not particularly clear where they are. I would gather a radioactive waste storage facility, but what's up with all the pictograms of dying humans? Are we talking about danger signs that you often find in workplaces?

Also this sentence: "Strange cylindrical containers loomed out of the darkness, made out a corrugated metal, badly rusted." Pretty easy to miss.

Other than that, it's quite well-written, at least when I'm only casting a quick glance at it. The dialogue is believable; the ending is sudden but leaves you to consider the implications and the whole thing gives you a modern Egyptian tomb sort of feel until you realise what's going on.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 01:49:20 am »

Since no one seems to know, the inspiration was from the 'America's Energy Dilemma' thread. At one point, when the storage of nuclear waste was being discussed, someone suggested having pictures of mutants etc. being drawn on the entry of a storage site so future generations wouldn't go and dig it up by accident.

I was trying to lead the reader to believe the explorers were searching some kind of tomb - that's what the explorers thought they were doing, after all.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 02:48:39 am »

Think you could write another story like that, maby even an extenstion of the story itself, though I dont know what you would write about.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 07:06:09 am »

Jason Larson was sentenced to twenty years in prison for five charges of arson...
For the sake of my sanity, allow me to rework the ending.

Spoiler: reworked ending (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 02:00:47 pm »

Chaoticag, that's a pretty good ending. I like Deadlycarn's and Martian's stories, but nobody seems to care about mine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12