Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Writing Workshop!  (Read 19495 times)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Workshop!
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2009, 01:31:47 am »

OK - it didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, so i'll make it up as I go along. Working on the basis that radiation can alter dna - causing mutations.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2009, 02:29:11 am »

OK - it didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, so i'll make it up as I go along. Working on the basis that radiation can alter dna - causing mutations.
It will do that, but not your entire DNA (you have copies in every cell). It will thrash the DNA of cells where the radiation hit either killing them or causing them to reproduce madly and go insane in general. Which is cancer. You won't suddenly grow three arms; you'll just get sick and die or get sick and recover.

It will seriously harm the bone marrow. It will badly hit the immune system. Basically a lot of nasty stuff if you aren't killed by the waste being plain old poisonous first. Uranium is very bad for you. What kind of waste are you talking about?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2009, 12:49:28 pm »

Radioactive waste, the kind dumped after it can be used as fuel no longer. What you said is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. For a many celled organism, a few rogue DNA strands are bad. For a single celled organism, things would be even worse. (Can ya guess what I'm thinking yet?)

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2009, 01:16:08 pm »

Radioactive waste, the kind dumped after it can be used as fuel no longer. What you said is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. For a many celled organism, a few rogue DNA strands are bad. For a single celled organism, things would be even worse. (Can ya guess what I'm thinking yet?)
Well depends on what kind of fuel. It could be Uranium, Polonium etc. But I don't think you'll get mad mutations. Radioactive waste is *very* radioactive. Doctors sometimes use radiation to sterilize equipment. It simply blasts through the single celled organism in a path of destruction. Cells in complex life are somewhat shielded by the other cells in front of them. But bacteria and the like would get full blast.

If your looking for a plot with single celled organisms try genetic engineering. Or maybe a super plague with bacteria that co-operate to form a Turing complete machine.

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2009, 09:43:06 pm »

I has story!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok I fixed some stuff see if its better. Also sheep plant a bush with tendrils leading from it to plant/sheep and one ram. If you kill the ram the plant dies and they taste nasty unlike the other tasty sheep.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:11:37 pm by wehtamjd92 »
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »

I'm actually using nanomachines as the plot point - imagine a grey goo scenario inside your body as the mutated nanomachines replicate out of control.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2009, 10:03:36 pm »

Micheal's name changes to Mikyl for part of the story. And you say "To be continued, when we get around to it" before the story ends. Also, you seem to have the inability to punctuate quotes properly. Every time there's a quotation mark, a little force field must surround your comma, period, and question mark keys, because you're missing at least two dozen.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2009, 12:53:23 am »

I respect your ability to read that wall of text - I'm having much difficulty forcing myself to read ANYTHING at this time.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2009, 01:05:13 am »

I got sorta confused at the part when the EPIC fight against the rams was taking place. You kept mentioning a "plant" and when Michael stabs one, everything goes crazy. Was the "plant" cursed or something? it sounded like some magic stuff was going down when that Ram got stabbed and it threw me off.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2009, 07:38:00 am »

Yeah, there's a couple parts he seems to be missing. There's supposed to be a part where one of the guys goes "Woah, two rams? They're only supposed to have one."

wehtamjd92

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorram reavers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:02 pm »

Fixed some stuff try it again.
It takes someone special to put the laughter back in slaughter.

What did you all go and order a dead guy for?

Will Foley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2009, 09:35:07 pm »

Yeah. wehtam's co-author here...basically, if you kill the ram of the plant, which is its natural defense system, the whole plant dies. However, this plant had two rams, so the outcome of killing one was totally unpredictable. They found out, obviously, after stabbing one. And, yeah, penguin when we said we'd get around to the rest when we felt like it, we put down the story for a while, then came back and wrote a little more, forgetting in the process to erase the 'we'll get around to the rest when we feel like it' part. To make a long story short...it still needs a hell of a lot of editing. We'll get around to it eventually, though it might help if wehtam learned to use punctuation. You were doing well in your RTD, man, what happened? Anyway, we'll fix the problems, and if you see anything else just tell us and we'll take care of it pronto.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2009, 09:48:02 pm »

Dorran was angry. It had been five years,  five damned years, since he had been able to return to his home. Terapai was sealed off for five years due to the recent outbreaks, but few could even prove there were any outbreaks. He had no idea if his wife was even alive anymore, and the state of things in the city were unknown to most of the realm. What idiot chose to build a city on an island? Dorran thought to himself, grimacing at the smell of unwashed bodies aboard the ship.
   The ship was good enough, it was the people that were the problem. Dorran never cared much for people, he saw them as loud, annoying, stupid, and dangerous. The exception to this rule was his wife, Anna. She was nice enough, at least she didn’t ask questions about his work. The two of them really only paired up to appear normal. He was a thaumaturge, and she was a seamstress, at least that was what she told him.
   It was a gloomy day, the sky was overcast, and a thin mist settled over the ocean. The ship Dorran was placed upon was simply another of those nameless vessels, with a rather shifty looking crew. No one would care if it were to sink right now. Dorran was surprised by his own fatalism, but he was in a bitter mood, having to share a boat with fifty other imbeciles, most of whom he would never see again. Dorran preformed a small cantrip under his breath. A warm cup of tea appeared in his hand, from which he took a small sip. If only there were a spell that could conjure some sugar.

I typed this up after a random bolt of inspiration, do you like?
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Will Foley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2009, 10:09:36 pm »

Hey, random bolts of inspiration are often the best kind. Now, outbreaks...zombies? Magic + zombies = chaotic fun.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2009, 10:10:17 pm »

Not bad jelly. Though I have no idea what a thaumaturge, short of a person that can conjure up items. Also, it kind of left me wondering, wondering in a bad way, what happened to this city exactly.. If there are rumors of outbreaks, why are people going there, ect. Im hoping its got somthing to do with zombies, oh, how I love zombie stories. But I doubt it. =)

-edit- also, damnit will, you ninja'd ahead of me. =[
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12