Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Writing Workshop!  (Read 19498 times)

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Workshop!
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2009, 05:23:23 am »

OK. I'm resurrecting this thread to share my latest story. The question was to write a 600-800 word story describing the setting for a horror story. I used lots of long words trying to get the connotations right for a spooky atmosphere, but I think I may have overdone it.

The Grasping hands
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In any case anyone was wondering how well I did with my time travel story: summarized my tutor said it was good but the ending was weak. And she asked who Linux was.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2009, 05:34:00 am »

For what was basically a big description, I liked it. I'd complain of purple prose, but in this particular instance, it seems unavoidable.

I feel so ashamed that I put off what I promised to write for so long, I will definitely get on it.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2009, 06:06:37 am »

I know how you feel, Strife. I had a character who got 36. I then managed to get it down to about 20 or so by changing my characters to be less like idiot hangers-on to competent warriors in their own right. I'm in the process of getting a few injuries that make fighting harder. Should be fun!
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

NastyDiarrhoea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:27 am »

Hi, I thought that it was really good and there were alot of words in there that I had to look up in Websters. There was some repetition (intentional?) but otherwise excellent!!  ;D

I though I'd might as well post a little (it is quite long) of my story up here and see what you guys think  because you all seem so nice.

Enjoy.

Prologue

The thick fog enclosed around them, as the done-up double-decker bus drove through the car laden streets. All around were decaying husks of vehicles, but they were swept aside by the huge home-made snow plough welded to the front of the bus. All through the refurnished interior were the same anxious but stubborn expressions, the same white-knuckle grip on their rifles, the same flickering pupils that darted all over their eyes. The bus had been turned into a military vehicle after only five weeks of elbow-grease and material scavenging. They had outfitted it with stabilizers, so it couldn't be overturned by the bigger ones. It had been armed armoured to the teeth with thick metal to protect from the stronger ones. The seats had all been removed to make room for extra ammunition and supplies. Every passenger had been equipped with at least one firearm and had several designated firing areas. A ladder leading to the top of the bus also revealed the crown jewel of the now, armoured personnel  carrier, a (slightly outdated) Vulcan minigun with enough rounds to allow it to fire continuously for five minutes. It was attached to a swivel seat so the operator could fire more accurately. However it would have to be evacuated in case anything managed to get on top of the bus or if there was a flying threat.
   Luckily for this group of survivors their home village of St Peterson had been situated right next to a military base that had been evacuated-destroyed-overrun (in that order) after the bombs had fallen. The base was where they had picked up pretty much all of their munitions and ordinance. At first they had hoped that the military might still be operating there and that they could provide adequate protection, but they had found it completely abandoned with parts of the base completely caved in. Instead of protection though they found the means to protect themselves.

What do you guys think? (By the way it's not finished)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2009, 12:32:22 pm »

Martian, at one pointe you spelled coarse as course (line 4). Other than that, it was fine. NastyD, on line 5 you wrote 'It had been armed armoured to the teeth'
other than that and a few other errors fine. Yes I'm a nitpicker/grammarnazi'

Now onto my real complaints. WHY MARTIAN? Why did you have to feed me descriptive writing? This last week I've been up to my ears in the stuff for a school assignment, and I'm in no mood to objectively judge any more. I don't particularly enjoy writing it, but don't mind reading it as long as it's well written.

Now for two questions:
1. What's purple prose?
2. What is the main harmful effect of radioactive waste?

I'm thinking about writing a sequel to my Wasted story, but coming from a nuclear - free country I know little about the consequences of unleashing radioactive waste upon the world. I'm guessing just masses of radiation, but how harmful can that be?
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2009, 03:38:04 pm »

You'll notice that the word "purple prose" in my post is a link, leading to the page that explains it.

If that page is too long to read, then it's basically where the writer is being overly descriptive of every little thing.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2009, 07:59:35 pm »

Nasty, I liked it alot. (Your names a bit..odd. Just thought I'd point that out.) Alot..But. A freaking minigun? One that has five minutes of ammo? It all seems a tad bit..Mary Sueish, but, im sure its fine. I've read alot of GREAT zombie storys where the character is very marrysue, but the read itself is still /great/. Good job, looking forward to the rest.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2009, 08:12:58 pm »

Where does it mention 'Zombies' Mulch?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2009, 08:16:21 pm »

"They had outfitted it with stabilizers, so it couldn't be overturned by the bigger ones. It had been armed armoured to the teeth with thick metal to protect from the stronger ones."
That coupled with the setting = obvious zombies.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2009, 08:32:05 pm »

How do you know it isn't the setting for a world conquered by coke-crazy professional wrestlers from outer space? HMMM???

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:56 pm »

Strife, your poem doesn't rhyme. Therefore I don't like it.

Yes, I am incredibly closed-minded when it comes to poetry.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »

I don't know if you could call this poetry but It's a way I express myself.

Some more poems by me:
http://www.thestories.net/stories/local/bmfy_alexhans/
(This is a great but abandoned page, we should resurrect it)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »

I checked out that Mary Sue litmus test, and to all the guys getting the high scores, be sure to read the instructions, it says that not properly taking the test can lead to insanely high scores.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2009, 12:36:49 am »

So, no answer to my other question? The 'What effects does radioactive waste have' question? I know it's idiotic, but better now than in my story.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2009, 12:47:03 am »

So, no answer to my other question? The 'What effects does radioactive waste have' question? I know it's idiotic, but better now than in my story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning#Table_of_exposure_levels_and_symptoms

The radioactive material is probably poisonous all by itself excluding radiation. Uranium for example 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium#Effects
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12