Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Another Thread on a List of Indie Developers With No DF  (Read 3096 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Thread on a List of Indie Developers With No DF
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 02:58:26 pm »

Before someone asks, FPH is frames per hour.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 05:21:19 pm »

It looks like the 10 games chosen were all released recently, while DF's been bopping along in alpha for a number of years now.    It's not exactly news, even if it is an amazing new approach to everything.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 05:41:47 pm »

Yeah, when DF actually gets released in the year 2020 or whenever, THEN I expect it to make the top of all of these lists (and whenever a new version comes out till then it does seem to have a spike of interest).

But until its at least somewhat "finished", it probably doesn't belong on this type of list.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 08:40:08 pm »

they said it was sure to happen that it would get ported to the ds. i predict that happening sometime around 2012 where the resulting logic error destroys the world.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Umogrim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 09:22:12 pm »

I understand why it might not be on the list, many people cannot make themselves the time to understand and play this game. What horrors me more is that a couple other games haven't been included, i'm talking about Cave Story, Knytt, Within a Deep Forest, etc and countless other indie games that people have grown to love over the years.

GoreTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually a brain in a jar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 12:44:28 pm »

Look at the bright side: neither did Cortex Command.
"Who's John Galt?"

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »

Look at the bright side: neither did Cortex Command.

Oh, that makes the list worse, Cortex Command is liek DF tiems nein.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »

A while back there was a huge surge in interest in DF. It had a feature in PC Gamer, I think, and was on the CD. Yahoo wrote a blurb on it and horribly misrepresented it, as I recall. It's quieted down a bit, but I think things will start heating back up with the new release.

Yeah, I think releases are the key.  Even hardcore DF fans start flagging in these 6+ month release gaps.  Toady was getting a lot of interviews and other publicity during last spring and summer, when the releases were more frequent.

Also, the Escapist has dropped blurbs about DF before.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »

Ah, Knytt... I loved that game. Up there as one of my favorites and the only game I ever played that just... I don't know. It was a game built out of ambience! I've never played another game like that, and don't know the words to describe the feeling I got playing it.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 11:33:38 pm »

Dwarf fortress wouldnt work on the DS. All those menu's? Give them the option to plug it into there computer to use the useful features like a real CPU, graphics card, monitor, and keyboard. THEN people would be able to enjoy the game.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:54 am »

they said it was sure to happen that it would get ported to the ds. i predict that happening sometime around 2012 where the resulting logic error destroys the world.

I think people are so used to seeing the graphics bottlenecking a game more than the CPU doing so, that they assume a game with very simplistic graphics must have relatively simplistic background processing as well.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 01:32:26 pm »

i think DF is not considered as a finished game yet ... even if it is one of the most complex and most funny game i ever played, it is still in alpha, i think whenever (ever?) it while be 1.0 it will be noticed ... until then we should be happy that Toady is so dedicated and that we are not just playing one of the best games but on addition it is a game wich never stops developing ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 03:17:48 pm »

i think DF is not considered as a finished game yet ... even if it is one of the most complex and most funny game i ever played, it is still in alpha, i think whenever (ever?) it while be 1.0 it will be noticed ... until then we should be happy that Toady is so dedicated and that we are not just playing one of the best games but on addition it is a game wich never stops developing ...

Well yeah, the "problem" is, that the development takes a lot of time, since Toady is the only coder, and the game is extremely complex already [compared to the commercial games], so the v1.0 release is far away. However..... Basically the DF playerbase is still very small if we look at it from a "global" perspective, but that is mainly because of the interface problems & ascii display method. I am pretty sure, that once the interface will be good and Toady separates txt&gfx [so that modders will be able to create a fully graphical DF version even], the game will be much more popular. [Especially amongst the RPG/Strategy gamers...]  :)
Just a note: We have a wiki, that is true, however Toady must create a decent game/modding manual in the future. [It's planned, but I guess it will come with v1.0...I think it's pointless to release the manuals before that point, since lot of stuff will be changed in the future anyway..]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:21:05 pm by Tormy »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »

FLAME!

Eh-hem.

I... sorta...kinda... liked Plain Sight....
 :-[

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 05:23:55 pm »

Despite (or perhaps owing to) being in alpha for several years, DF remains the best game i've ever come across. It has the most freedom and options and interesting shit to do, chillax music, depth, complexity, and goddamn MAGMA. It's too deep for your average xbox bros, I kind of like the niche we have here. People who can survive a winter are generally a cut above the average gamer and I like that and hope that difficulty remains; too much UI improvement or streamlining of the intended flow of gameplay might take this game away from its current niche.

The day the escapist reviews DF will probably be a sad one.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3